Saturday, March 01, 2008

Papaya Power!!

OK, here's a first, two posts in one day!!

But I just had to write about my first real run today since you-know-what. Real as in outside and shoes hitting the pavement. Yeah, baby!

Of course, it was not at all fast, more like an easy jog, much like what I used to do many years ago to clear my head. I brought along one 10 oz Fuel belt water bottle and my camera just in case I didn't get very far and ended up walking. At least I could take some photos.

You know what?

That camera never came out!

Nope, once I got going and had adjusted my pace and stride to keep my ribs and the bump on my leg happy, I didn't stop until I was ~4 miles away! Took about a 3 minute break to rest and refill my water bottle at a beach. Then, guess what?

I actually went a little further!

Yep, to the top of this bitch-of-a-little-hill down the road, just to see if I could do it. Chuggah, chuggah, keep going, all the way, to the top -- YESSSSSS!

Then I turned around and headed back, still going quite slow, but smiling as big as the sun inside. I may not be able to swim and bike much right now but I can run. It was like old times, a nice comfy pace, easy breathing, no Garmin, no plan, just time to myself. FUN!!

To celebrate when I got back, I ate a whole papaya. Well, not the seeds or skin, but you know what I mean. I actually had one yesterday too and will have to get some more because now I'm out and I wanna run again tomorrow!

Total time out: 1:37, including 3 min walk break
Total miles: 9-something, who cares???
Weather: Partially cloudy, ~80 degrees!

12 comments:

Petraruns said...

Wow girl! Could you look any happier? That's so great and it's so great to read about you just enjoying this run for itself - wonderful stuff. Keep enjoying it - bottle this feeling. And eat more papayas lucky girl!

Rural Girl said...

YAH! Here's to the easy, kick it back, who cares run!!!

Sunshine said...

Wonderful news!!! Yea for You.
Taking care.. and back to running: winning combination.

Tri to Be Funny said...

Shirley,

First of all, thanks for the vote! While I was disappointed to see the results, I had a great training day, restoring all faith that the world is GOOD! Congrats on running for the sheer joy of it...step by step!

lizzie lee said...

I love PAPAYA.... A hint: Put a little bit of lime drops, it is delicious.

I am longing for warmer weather. I am so ready for spring! and get out on the road.

Susan said...

Wow, Shirley, sounds GREAT!

Sarah said...

Hey! I haven't been by to officially say hi, but wanted to let you know I was reading along :)

Loved the blooper reel!

Brent Buckner said...

Great that you're back at it!

Jade Lady said...

Glad to hear your run went well! I mean...come on...running in hawaii - how bad could that be? I guess only if the volcano decided to spew on you...but I have assured the Belle that lava wouldn't reach you even though the lava flows day and nite. That's what we get for watching Dante's Peak.

Ooh..yummy yummy - on the papaya. That is the thing I miss so much about Hawaii. All that great fresh fruit. I can't wait til summer when peaches and grapes aren't 2.99 a pound. Congrats on the MAC btw!

And...oh,..please oh please add me to your list of people to notify when you publish! You can do this via Blogger. Or, if you want to be nice, you can add it to your page, like mine :-) i believe this is the link to get it: http://www.feedblitz.com/f/?AddBloggerWidget

lizzie lee said...

Shirley, very nice your 21 Run Salute. Never read it before. Pretty, pretty nice.
lizzie

Maddy said...

You look so happy and the papaya looks amazing. I have food envy right now...

Glad to hear you are back at it!

akshaye said...

Strong run.. with the hill thrown in for good measure! That papaya's making me hungry!