Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Care Package

A good friend of mine in the Marine Corps recently left for her third tour in Iraq. Several years ago, she was the one who first brought me to a step aerobics class. I'd never gone to a gym class before and was so awkward and uncoordinated that I almost fell many times. Still, she kept bugging me to come with her and I started enjoying the workouts, mainly because of the group atmosphere and the music. It was so different than when I jogged/ran on my own. Something new and challenging. My first venture into cross-training although I didn't know it at the time.

In the past when my friend had said she was going to Iraq, I told her to let me know if she ever needed anything. She never asked for anything. So this time I told her I'd send her something from Hawaii.

I just did. I placed the order online at Hilo Hattie and since they were offering free shipping for orders over $100, the care package will have enough Kona coffee, Hawaiian cookies, Macadamia nuts and other island goodies for her to share with others in her unit.

And next time I feel myself wanting to complain about heat, stress, being tired, in pain or whatever, I'll think of her and other troops who are in harm's way. Hell, I've got it soooo easy. Thank you, my friend, for serving our country.

PS - In case you haven't heard, the Post Office is now offering a discount on shipping care packages to the military. Click here for more details.

8 comments:

Comm's said...

Hilo hatties is one of my favorite stores. There actually was one for a time here in Phoenix and they sold jewelry too. The real stuff. Got some nice peices for Mistress you can be sure.

They left and now the closest is Vegas.

Thanks for supporting the troops

ShirleyPerly said...

Yeah, I love Hilo Hatties too, lots of cool stuff to buy as gifts and for me too. There's actually one here in Orlando but on the other side of town near the tourist attractions, which I try to avoid. It was much more convenient to just order online and have it shipped directly.

My 21 Run Salute marathon campaign was actually all about supporting the troops (www.21RunSalute.org). The same friend was in Iraq for her first tour and also my husband's cousin. Just felt like I had to do something ...

akshaye said...

That is so great. I was at the airport this week and a soldier (all by himself) stepped into the arrival lounge and everyone started clapping. It was a really nice gesture on your part .. I wish your friend a safe tour.

Jade Lady said...

That was such a nice thing to do. I'm sure your friend will appreciate it.

I cannot imagine what it would be like to go to Iraq. I wish your brave friend a safe return.

Smithposts said...

Your friend is going to be a very popular person in her unit! Good luck to her in third (WOW)tour of duty. Something for all of us to think about when we are having a tough day. Thanks!

Ellie Hamilton said...

You are a WONDERFUL friend!

runninggeezer262 said...

Best Wishes to your friend as she returns to Iraq. I'm sure she will enjoy the "Hilo Hatties", along with the MRE's. I used to get fruit cakes!

I need to check out Hilo Hatties website.

Susan said...

That is a wonderful thing to do, Shirley.