Monday, March 31, 2008

Simply Stu Worldwide Tri III

This year my Simply Stu Worldwide tri spanned 3 days and 2 states: Florida & New Jersey.

Friday, I swam an easy 1300 yards in 31 minutes, working on form since I'd not swam much recently. I'd hoped to get a photograph taken by one of the lifeguards but there was a Spring Break kids swim camp going on. I didn't think they should be distracted for even a moment.

Saturday before heading to the airport, I woke up at 3:00 am, ate breakfast and then went upstairs for an easy spin on the exercise bike for 45 minutes and 14 miles while Dave slept. Watched part of North Dallas Forty, an old (1979) Nick Nolte movie. Made me glad I'm not a pro football player.

By 5am I was showered and on my way to the airport to do the Ocean Drive Marathon in New Jersey as my run segment on Sunday. See the post below for more details. This time I do have some photos :-)

But what am I most proud of? My team of 5 runner friends who'd never ever done a tri before in any form or fashion:

Akshaye - 20 laps of swimming, 14 miles biking and then 26.2 miles running. Oh, and did I mention that it was also his first-ever marathon too?!!

MarathonChris - Details to be revealed soon but I know she ran a 10K PR as part of it!!

Relay team of Petra, Susan and Maddy - 1500 yards swimming, 13.1 miles biking, 6.2 miles running. What a GREAT way to show that even injuries cannot stop one from being a part of the Simply Stu event. All three want to do a tri on their own next year -- Way Cool!!

CONGRATULATIONS to all of you and also to everyone else who raced this weekend including Sarah (ING Georgia 1/2 marathon), RunningGeezer26.2 (Winter Park 10K), Nancy (National 1/2 Marathon), SmithPosts (Knoxville 5K), Steve (Joe Plant 5K) and Fe-Lady (California 70.3). Additionally, my step-daughter Katie (BYU Splash 'n Dash), sister Jade Lady (SimplyStu WW du), and NYLisa (Scotland 10K). Wow, this was a busy weekend!

11 comments:

Susan said...

You've inspired us all, Shirley! :)

Katie said...

I'm glad it went well for you! I completely forgot to bike (I'll blame the three inches of snow on Sunday), but I survived my Splash and Dash!

runninggeezer262 said...

Way to go Shirley and all the others who participated in the event! Next year I'm in!

TJ said...

Congrats on the tri and your marathon!

Iron Eric said...

You're so hardcore Shirley! You wake up so much earlier than I do. But, you do what you got to do.

ShirleyPerly said...

Thanks Everyone! Believe me, I don't normally get up at 3:00am. It was the only way for me to get the bike portion done and, as Eric said, you do what you got to do!

nylisa said...

Fantastic! Way to go Shirley! I seriously hope to be like you one day! And definitely congrats to all who raced this weekend!

Jade Lady said...

Way cool! 1300 yards - man, I remember when you shuddered at one length of the pool! Amazing!

It was a really cool weekend! Loved reading about all the people who participated! Next year, it'll be even bigger!

lizzie lee said...

Shirley, and I AM PROUD OF YOU... You amaze me, and inspire me... Thank you for your dedication.... I'll check next your post about the Ocean Drive Marathon. Sounds super FUN.

And MANY THANKS for the advice about the dashboard. I'll follow it blindly. I had the hope that could be like when you are swimming and use a board, and only exercise your legs... I was hoping but I also doubted........

Calyx Meredith said...

How cool! I'll be a part of it next year! Shirley you are such a community builder! It was great to read not only about your success but also to follow your links and shout outs to discover even more inspiring people/stories. Keep posting! (And know I have my fingers crossed for you today!)

akshaye said...

Shirley - thanks! I am proud to be on your team. Finishing my first full with all your support means a lot to me.