Monday, March 24, 2008

What's Stopping You?

Today I submitted a questionnaire to my local tri club coach that had a couple interesting questions in regards to the goals I wrote down:

1. What do you think is interfering with your goals?
2. What do you think is holding you back?
3. Are you willing to make short-term sacrifices for long-term success?

Really, they could apply to any goals one might have, whether social, financial, family, sports, health, etc.

For me, it's having sufficient motivation to do things. The harder or more fearful the task, the more motivation I need so I tend to take on some pretty tall orders and use the fear of failure (which can sometimes mean fear of serious injury) to drive me. Anything less is too easy for me to back away from. I feel like I'm constantly making short-term sacrifices for long-term successes but like to view them as investments, not sacrifices per se.

Some people are probably just the opposite, preferring to start out small and build confidence, or wait until the "right time" to tackle big goals they have.

What about you? What your answers to the questions above? What do you or have you done in the past to overcome them?

Sometimes I think we are too busy or distracted to do much self-analysis. We're looking for ways to improve ourselves and setting goals without really understanding what drives us or holds us back. Now having written this post and the one below I understand myself a bit better. And in case I need reminding, I can now just read about it :-)

10 comments:

akshaye said...

I agree with you on the short-term vs long term. But sometimes its hard to see things that way and thats what makes it challenging.

I have a big thing in my head about only doing things I "feel" like doing. So motivation is a big part of anything for me.

Petraruns said...

I think for me the big thing stopping me from achieving my goals is what you refer to at the end of your post - not taking enough time to consider what you want and how you're going to get somewhere. I'm impatient and would like to achieve everything yesterday - bite-size chunks do not come naturally to me. So often when I do "fail" it's because I leapt before I looked.. I'm trying to learn from this..

However I also agree about the motivation - if that's not there, I'll never achieve it. You've got to "feel it" to be able to do what it takes..

Iron Eric said...

That is very true about our goals. If you want to accomplish it, you just do it. First we must write down and really think about our goals. Most people can't get to that point.

P.O.M. said...

Wow - those are some great questions that really do pertain to almost everything in life.

Gave me some "thinking" material for tonight and what's currently going on in my life.

Smithposts said...

I am a start small and build confidence type of person, often I "stay small" fearing the big. Hmmmm, that is something to think about!

runninggeezer262 said...

I started small since I was undertaking a new challenge, that being running marathons. I have ran a number of them and now my confidence is high. I have set a goal to qualify for the Boston Marathon in 2010. I can do that!

I recently started training to do "sprint" triathlons. I can make the comparison of where I am with triathlon training and where I was with my marathon training. My confidence will build as I improve my swimming and cycling skills. We need to believe in ourselves.

CewTwo said...

The questions frighten me. Why? Because of the answers that I would have to give. They do allow one to get right to the point!

ShirleyPerly said...

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts on this!

Everyone is different so, of course, there's no right or wrong. And if you don't feel comfortable posting your answers, that's fine too. Just wanted to get some wheels rolling in those heads!

Steve Stenzel said...

Wow...those are tough, personal questions! I haven't really thought of things like that before!

Jade Lady said...

Motivation is definitely important for me. But, I also find that I have too many things on my mind not enough time to do it in. I love to really get focused on one or two things, but I find myself wanting to do 10-20 thngs. It's a frustrating thing - I need more people to advocate for a 48 hour day - 24 hr day is just NOT ENOUGH.