Monday, February 01, 2010

Fun 5K and Indoor Marathon Afterthoughts

Saturday I ran the Deerwood 5K, a small out-and-back race held just 2 miles from my house. YAY! But having run a marathon the weekend before, I had no plans to run it hard so I brought my camera to take some photos and video of my awesome fellow Blanchard Y Tri/Running Club members. The event was NOT chip timed so they let me watch the race start from the spectator side and then I went around to be one of the last starters. That was a first!

Below is what I got. To hide the video controls, move your cursor outside the window. To view a larger version directly on the Vimeo website, click here. (TRT 2:16)




Sorry for the bouncy running segments. Obviously, I don't have as smooth a stride as I thought!


Blanchard Y Tri/Running Club (Click to enlarge)


Me and a couple coworkers from Track Shack, one of the race sponsors.

Final race time: 22:54 (7:22 pace). Shh, Don't tell Coach ;-)
1/23 F40-49, 5/89 Females.

_____________________

Also, there were a couple of good questions in the comments of my previous InStep Icebreaker Indoor Marathon race report that I thought I'd post here in case anyone else might have been curious:

1. Which indoor marathon did I like better, Instep or Zoom Yah Yah (ZYY)? (from Lindsay & RoadBunner)
Ooh, TOUGH question. Both are GREAT events but I'd have to say I liked Instep a bit more, because of the bigger track, more interesting venue, automated lap count/timing system and volunteers handing you fluids & fuel (vs. self serve). But ZYY's runner camaraderie and spectator enthusiasm are unmatched.

2. Do you do anything specific in training to get ready for them? (from Petra)
In training for ZYY last year, I ran quite a few laps during my long runs thinking I'd have to prepare myself mentally, but the laps flew by during the race and I realized I didn't have to. So for Instep this year, I did just my usual marathon training.

3. Do you find them harder? Easier? (also from Petra)
Easier! No worries about the weather, hills, when the next aid station or porta potty will be and much more runner & spectator interaction (--> fun!). Just put your legs in automatic and enjoy the ride :-)

Happy February, ya'll!

23 comments:

Shannon said...

Love the video Shirley....but then again I love everything you do!

Jen said...

Great video!!!!

TRI TO BE FUNNY-Carrie Barrett said...

Having fun as always!! Way to support the team (and turn in an impressive 5k!)

Lisa said...

Great job on the 5K!

Marlene said...

Thanks for your thoughts on the indoor marathon. I find it pretty interesting. If I ever hear of one around here, I may consider it.

Congrats on the 5K and nice pics!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

7 22 pace? Holy cow!!

Regina said...

Great video! I am always surprised when I finally hear a voice to match a face, I don't know why.

Please girl..that was "no plans to run it hard"? Good grief.

well done!

ShirleyPerly said...

Well, that was not really an "easy" pace per se, but nowhere close to a 5K PR, which is good.

Jacklynn said...

Shirly!
Always a JOY to have you around. The Blanchard Park YMCA Runner's Club/Tri peeps LOVE having you when we can get you. I call you the "heart" of our team.
Thanks so much for supporting us and being out there to take pics/movies/etc. You truly rock!
Jacklynn Stroz

MarathonChris said...

Nice report on the 5K....nice video and still maintaining a decent pace for that 5K :-)

EndorphinBuzz said...

That's a decent pace, I don't think coach would be angry!

Maria said...

what a fun race! loved the video, excellent sound effects!

Tricia said...

Great 5k!

COTY said...

great video ! Fun post..

Sunshine said...

Best spectator experience of all time was cheering you in the ZYY.

Gotta Run..Gotta Ride said...

Now that os a sweet time for your 5k! Be careful that coach does not catch you :))))

X-Country2 said...

Awesome video!

lindsay said...

belated thanks for answering my question :) very helpful, well kinda. you pointed out great things about both i may have to do both! though i don't think zyy's website was updated for a 2010 race?

Meg said...

Looks like you had a fun, Shirley. I really liked the video too.

Rainmaker said...

That video is hilarious. And I'm impressed, the self-running-shots are actually pretty stable/good. :)

RoadBunner said...

Thanks for answering my question!! I am definitely doing an indoor marathon one day! SO COOL!!

Petraruns said...

Happy Feb yourself Shirley and what a nice thing to do - to film all your friends in the race!

Loved the clarifications you sent re the indoor running - you make it sound quite appealing..

Vickie said...

Sometimes nice to have the pressure off some and just spectate and run how you feel.