Wednesday, February 17, 2010

In Case Anyone Was Wondering ...

No, I wasn't taken away by the M-dot police for my last post.


No, I've not been glued to my TV watching the Winter Olympics.
(Though I will take up a little space on my blog to root for Team USA)

So, what's been happening? Have I been training the past week??

Well, yes, BUT ...... Surprisingly, NOT the grueling type of training that we all love to hear about and that I thought I'd be doing in order to shoot for a PR at the Gator Half Iron (1.2 mi swim, 56 mi bike, 13.1 mi run) next month. Darn!

And it's not because of the unusually "cold" weather we've had here in Central Florida recently. Although sub-50 deg F temps does make it much harder for me to go outside, especially wearing all sorts of extra layers of clothing that makes me look like I've gained 10# -- UGH!

It's because Coach thinks I only need base miles to keep me fit while trying to help me rebuild (from the two irons last year and calf injury in December) and get stronger. So for this half iron training cycle thus far (and there's only 4 weeks left!), there's been NO 2200+ yard swim workouts, NO bike rides close to 50 miles, NO runs even 8 miles in length. YES, I'm going freakin' CRAZY!!!

Instead, I've been on a new diet of shorter, higher quality workouts. The last couple weeks, my total hours training per week has been less than 10. LESS THAN 10 hrs/wk -- OMG!!!!!!! Quite possibly the least I've ever worked out since I got into working out (excluding periods of major illness).

But many workouts have been with members of my tri club who are training for shorter races (and quite speedy). And nearly every one has been like a treat: Ooh, a 1500-2000 yard swim workout? Yummy! A 30-mile bike ride? Cold, but very tasty! 5-6 mile run? Thank you, may I please have another?

It'll be interesting to see how well I race with this Less is More type of training. To be honest, I've never really done it before. My idea of less is more has been doing LESS of some things and a whole lot MORE of something else ;-)

So we shall see. God help me if this works ...........

PS - Very busy week for me otherwise. I'll be catching on you guys starting tomorrow!

21 comments:

DaveP said...

I like the shorter rides in the cooler weather, I've been able to keep up for the whole ride.

Petraruns said...

It's surprising how well less is more works for lots of people - and I really believe in changing habits from time to time to shake up body and mind. Sounds like it's also a bit more sociable than you normally train - good for you for ringing the changes (or listening to your coach..)

Petraruns said...

heehee I like Dave's comment..

Meg said...

I like your coach's advice, seems very sound!

lindsay said...

lol to dave's comment :)

believe in yourself and your coach! i'm wondering if i should take a 'less is more' approach to running... while part of me wants to log crazy high mile weeks, the lazy part of me doesn't :)

Anonymous said...

I have heard how protective Ironman is about their name and logo. I have an m-dot tattoo though and they haven't come after me yet.

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Don't push the M-dot thing too far. Several years ago I wrote to them to complain about their handling of the former K race director and fortunately they must have forgotten about it when I qualified. There are stories of people being banned for life for making some untoward remark. They rule supreme and we must all be loyal and obedient subjects if we want to experience the real meaning of life (by entering a race).
On a side note, maybe my "rest" from a lot of training is good, too. It is cold here these days, too, and I have a marathon coming up which I can't get the motivation to train for. Well, as long as my joints are OK afterward, then that is all I care about.

Jenny S said...

I've seen a lot of unauthorized use of mdots and think you have nothing to worry.

But if I ever cut back a lot on my workouts, I'd be worried about gaining 10 real pounds!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

10 hours per week?? Shoot, I wish I could get up to that!!

Regina said...

I'll be interested to read about how it goes too.

I have been glued to the TV watching the Olympics, but still getting my training in (in case you thought I was slacking!).

how is the other 'diet' going with Dave?

PLANET3RRY said...

Listen to your coach.

Think of how focused you will be during your training!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

Oz Runner said...

hope the new routine works out for your...at least you have more time for other things....like watching the olympics...go team usa!

EndorphinBuzz said...

My main problem when I take my training down a notch is weight gain. My appetite doesn't know that I need less fuel :)

I'm sure this new routine will have you back stronger than ever when coach gives you the go ahead for longer workouts.

Jonathan said...

It HAS been very cold here the past week. Very tough to go swimming and riding. But running has been grrrrrreat!

Lisa said...

yes, it will be interesting to see how your body responds to this type of training. :-)

Irish Blue said...

Assuming you survive this "less is more" approach with your sanity in tact, I'm curious to know if it works too. We'll be watching...

Irish Blue said...

Oh...would you like our 3 feet of snow!!! Geeezzz...I'm starting to think I fell asleep and someone transported me to the north freakin pole here. More snow next week. Seriously, I run in shorts if it's over 40.

Missy said...

Less is more with the base you have. Quality counts and in a BIG way. I have no doubt you'll come back with a vengeance.

Marathon Maritza said...

I'm on the less-is-more plan too and I hope it goes well for you! You are such a hardcore triathlete, I'm not gonna be surprised by anything you accomplish! You are awesome!

Sometimes change is good. :)

Vickie said...

I feel the same way you do about the huge M dot races. While I realize there is a certain name recognition attached to the bigger races, that mainly comes from other IM triathletes themselves. The average person still think you are amazing for doing an IM regardless of which race it was. And since I am terrified--to the point where I'm afraid I might just die--of doing the huge mass swim, its another reason I am looking at the smaller race.