Sunday, February 17, 2008

Scratch That

I'm still falling off my bike ...

This time I rounded a corner too fast and my bike slid from underneath me. The bike is fine and I'm OK, just some road rash and bruises, the worst of which is along my right rib cage where my right arm jammed into it upon hitting the pavement. It hurts to breathe but I'm pretty sure I have no cracked ribs (the pain is not sharp enough). Got a nice crack in my bike helmet, though. I'd be a good ad for bike helmets and Neosporin right now.

On a brighter note, I had a great time in Austin. Didn't get to do much else other than create my Evotri video, meet up with fellow blogger Ellie for lunch and spend time with my sister and her family. My little niece, who's now 3 1/2 years old and full of energy, gave me quite the workout playing balloon volleyball and made sure there was never a dull moment for Auntie Shirley.


Me & my niece.



Brother-in-law, niece & me.



My sister, Ellie & Me.


It was supposed to be step-back week in training anyway and, well, this week may be light as well depending on how I feel, we'll see. My next big race, Ocean Drive Marathon, is end of March so plenty of time to heal up and get back into training.

Tomorrow I find out if I've made it to the first round of voting on Team Evotri. Stay tuned!

18 comments:

akshaye said...

ouch.. I hope it doesn't hurt too much.

ShirleyPerly said...

Ribs hurt the most but I've been side-kicked hard in the ribs before in karate so it's like deja vu. Need to avoid laughing!

MarathonChris said...

Owwww! That looks like it hurt! Actually, it hurts just looking at it.

And you said that the bike is ok before you said you are ok.... hmmmm.

Thank goodness for the bike helmet!

Hope you heal up quick. Does it hurt to swim?

Duane said...

Ouch! Good job on the video! Hope you get picked!

Wendy said...

Hooray for helmets!!!!!

Feel better fast.

ShirleyPerly said...

Chris: May be able to swim in a couple days. Shoulder still really sore.

Duane & Wendy: Thanks!

Cliff said...

Ouch. Glad u and the bike is ok. No broken bones are always a good sign :)

Take care and get well soon.

Susan said...

Ouch! Poor thing! My sympathies...

Gorgeous photos, though. What pretty ladies!

Good luck Shirley, Miss Evotri!!!

Susan said...

P.S. I am now 110% glad I bought a bike helmet.

Tri to Be Funny said...

ouch, ouch,ouch!!!!!! Take care of yourself--love the video!

Petraruns said...

Love the video - you deserve to be on the shortlist. And as for your damage - honey that looks awful! I bet it all hurts? You're a brave girl...

Also love all the photos - your niece looks like such a sweetheart. Take it easy on yourself!

Flatman said...

YOU MADE THE TOP 10!!! Congrats.

Runner's Anonymous said...

That's one impressive road rash! Ouch! Just thought I'd check in to see how you were doing. Obviously I got back after your recent skin donation. Hope you feel better soon!

Steve Stenzel said...

Ouch! Dang!!

Brent Buckner said...

Ouch!
Heal up - get back to laughing with ease!

UGHinFLA said...

Echo the "ouch". I'll stick to running half-marathons with you. See you soon.

peter said...

Ditto! (Ouch.)

Ellie Hamilton said...

Holy smoke, Shirley... I've been out of the loop with internet problems and just found out. Egads!! I'm glad you're more or less OK!

I love that picture of the 3 of us. What a fun lunch that was! It was as if we'd always known each other!