Monday, February 11, 2008

Headed to Austin

Whew, what a busy week last week was! I had high hopes of making it to the pool 3 times but only made it twice. But perhaps you couldn't tell from just looking at the yardage -- 6500!

In fact, I think that the D3Multisport advanced winter maintenance training program I've been following is perhaps more for Ironman athletes than half Ironman athletes, at least the swimming part.

But could swimming too much be a bad thing? I mean, it still is my weakest sport by far and so a part of me thinks it'd be good to get used to swimming 3000-5000 yards and then only have to swim about 2200 yards during a race.

Or is this just plain insane?

I have been known to do such things ...

But, this week will be a step-back week. I'm actually going to be in Austin visiting my sister (photo above: me left, sis right) and creating my Team Evotri video application. While there, hopefully, I'll get to meet up with Ellie who's planning to run the Austin Marathon next weekend, if she's feeling better (she's been sick, poor thing), do some swimming at Barton Springs (in the background of the photo), and run around the ever-popular Town Lake. Who knows? Maybe I'll run into Lance Armstrong :-)

PS - Mark your calendars. The SimplyStu Worldwide Triathlon is 3/28-30. No money, stress or hassle -- Just get out and tri!

9 comments:

Wendy said...

Have fun in Austin, Shirley!

Petraruns said...

well if anyone could do an insane plan and make it work, it would be you ShirleyPerly! I guess if you have the time to do it, and you enjoy it it's got to be good for your swimming.. You never fail to amaze me you wonderful woman. Have a lovely time with your sister!

Susan said...

Have fun and good luck!

Cliff said...

I done a SimplyStu Worldwide Triathlon before..it was great.

Ur 6500 yardage is more than all my swimming volume for the month of Jan :D..muhahaha

Have fun at Austin w/ ur sis :D

CewTwo said...

Swimming? Not for me! My ears don't like water in them (they get infected very easily).

But I wish you the best of all worlds and the best of luck!

akshaye said...

Have a great trip to Austin! That is a lot of swimming.. good for you.

Tri to Be Funny said...

Welcome to Austin Shirley! I'd recognize that pool anywhere as I get to swim in it weekly. Wear your wetsuit cuz Barton Springs is chilly!!

Brent Buckner said...

Something to be said for the general aerobic fitness that can come with piling on the swimming yardage....

Rural Girl said...

Yah, Shirley. Have a good time in Austin!
So, you like the D3 plan. I'm glad.