Tuesday, February 19, 2008

On Giving Back

I've been thinking a lot about this since creating my video entry for Team Evotri. Specifically, how can I reach out and make an impact on folks who don't know me, don't read blogs, aren't located near me or don't travel in the same circles as I do? What if they're like the old me who'd spend hours on a computer and never go to races, gyms, or join clubs and training groups? Is there a way to reach them?

The answer, I believe, is the amazing internet and YouTube.

The fact is my Evotri video got over 30 comments (more than any blog post I've ever written, that's for sure) and many of them came from people who are not in the endurance sports community as far as I can tell. There have been over 700 views so far and someone even posted a pirated copy which, at first, I wasn't happy about but then realized the more people that see it, the better. Obviously, there's a huge number of folks who look at YouTube videos for various reasons and with good video producing and smart tagging, I'm thinking perhaps that's the way to reach more people than just via my blog and what I could do in person.

So, I'm considering creating more videos, whether or not I win the sponsorship. Funny thing is if you'd have asked me a month ago whether I'd ever create a YouTube video, I would have said, No way! Not only am I an introvert by nature, I'm also quite camera shy, believe it or not. But, I was the same way about so many things (public speaking, teaching classes, TV interviews, you name it) so I just had to do it and, in fact, I had a blast. There's actually a creative side of me that doesn't get to come out and play very often and it felt great to release it along with my passion for endurance sports/tris and knack for computers.

My question to you then is this: Would you be interested in seeing more short, fun videos like the one I created? Now, before you respond, know that I'm thinking of including photos and video footage from others, either folks I meet up with in person (remember, I travel a fair amount and may be coming to your home town :-), stuff people send me, or perhaps just some stuff that I come across that's uncopyrighted, of course. It would not be just about me, me, me. The purpose of these videos would be to inspire, motivate, educate, provide humor and hopefully do all at once.

Let me know what you think!!!

12 comments:

Petraruns said...

I think it's a great idea! I'm all for pushing yourself out of your comfort zone. And I think there's a really positive contribution to be made out there as well. Do it! And let me know how we can help!

Susan said...

Oh I think this is WONDERFUL! I mean, those videos (not just yours) got me to thinking " I HAVE to do a tri." And I still feel thaqt way, 24 hours later. Do it, my friend, do it! I'll support you in any way possible!

Cliff said...

Shirley,

I had dinner with a friend on Sun and he mentioned I shoudl write a book or do videos to share my life experience.

I think that's a great idea. I have been sitting around thinking what i can do.

I can say a priated version of your video going around the internet is a good sign =D

ShirleyPerly said...

But it means I'll have to get a Mac laptop (arm twisted, OK! OK! I'll do it! :-)

akshaye said...

I think thats a great idea and if it gives you a reason to get a Mac then that makes it an even better idea :)

ShirleyPerly said...

Yeah, I want a Mac but haven't yet figured out which one would be best. The Macbook Air is pretty much useless for what I want to do (no ports to be able to input various devices, play/burn a DVD, etc). And the Macbook Pro is a lot bigger and heavier than I'd like to carry with me on trips. I definitely foresee myself creating videos while on travel so it must be a laptop. Decisions, decisions ...

jen said...

Great video- just watched it! I would defintely watch more of your videos, and it would be a fun creative outlet for you. Do it!! :)

Smithposts said...

Enjoyed your video! Lots of interesting video possibilities based on your event goals for the next several years!

Jade Lady said...

Get a Mac!!!! Would love to see you produce more movies.

ShirleyPerly said...

Another funny thing since creating my Evotri video, I feel like I should always be bringing along my camera (which has video capabilities) wherever I go, like I'm always looking for material to put in a video. It's weird!

PLANET3RRY said...

Had I decided to apply for that sponsorship, my video would have been pretty basic... like me, in a chair, talking about, stuff.

I really like your video idea. I think that you could highlight healthy and injured volunteers. I think the most inspirational are the Ancient Grand Masters (70+) that are still in the running community... running and not. I use running as the the "Royal Running"

CewTwo said...

Me? I do videos from Jeeping trips all of the time. Just the Jeep activity, though. I think that is a guy thing. I don't want to know the driver anymore than I do already. I am constantly impressed on how people drive obstacles, though...