Monday, February 25, 2008

Patience

Well, it's been a week since my bike crash and my road rash has been healing up pretty well. The knee boo-boos are now just itchy scabs waiting for me to pick off and the stuff on my arm, while still nasty in appearance (so I'll spare you photos), really does not feel that bad. Unless someone or thing rubs against it. Yowza!

Darn it, though, my ribs feel only slightly better than last week. Breathing deeply, coughing, laughing, sitting up from bed and the worst, sneezing, still hurts, a lot. I mowed my lawn today much like an old lady would with my elbows tucked in close to my body (as opposed to outstretched) to minimize using my chest, back & abs. How nice it would have been to have a self-propelled mower!

But that was downright pleasant compared to riding my bike yesterday. Yes, indeed, having to support my upper body weight on my arms hit all those major muscle groups and I went a whopping 3 miles before I decided to head back. Felt like I was breathing through a little straw while someone was punching me in the ribs and forcing me to pedal. Not good.

So, I've decided to take my first ever DNS (Did Not Start) at tomorrow's bike time trial event. IMO, there is nothing to be gained by doing it when I'm injured. I'm better off resting and continuing to recover. I've already volunteered to be the person who marks the turnaround to help Dave and others who missed the turn last time trial. My bike is now in the shop, too, because I found out that it has a bent dérailleur hanger (thing that holds the thing that controls where the chain goes on the rear things -- make sense?). Nothing serious but it needs fixing in order to be in tiptop shape for when I'll be in tiptop shape, which will hopefully be soon!

On a completely different topic, I am ecstatic to announce that my sister, Jade Lady, has started her own blog, finally! She has run a few marathons and done a couple tris but needs help staying motivated, especially having just had shoulder surgery last Thursday. If you get some free time, please drop by her blog and say Hi!

News flash: Just heard that the bike time trial event has been cancelled due to bad weather. No DNS after all -- woo hoo!!!

9 comments:

Road Warrior said...

Always impressive, Shirley. You give the advice not to run when you're injured and you follow it yourself. Not an easy thing to do, but extremely smart. You'll live to ride, run and swim another day--no reason chancing it!

akshaye said...

Smart decision. I hope the ribs heal soon.. that can be very painful. Don't mow the lawn ... just take it easy until you feel better!

Welcome to the family to your sister!

Wendy said...

You're so right Shirley. Rest. Recover. Come back stronger than ever. Pushing too hard too soon is a recipe for disaster.

Jade Lady said...

Hope you're feeling better soon! leaves more time to do research on that Mac u want, right?

I'm wondering..who is doing better..u or me? Thanks for the plug.

ShirleyPerly said...

Thanks everyone! Hard for me to sit out a race that I've already signed up for but to help distract me, there is supposed to be a big Mac announcement today. Word is that new Macbook Pros may be using faster dual-core and quad-croe Penryn processors. Geek out!!!

Susan said...

YAY for no DNS! And I will head to her blog ASAP.

I'm glad you're healing, my amazing friend.

runninggeezer262 said...

You have a way with words. Have you ever considered writing a book or screen play? You are so descriptive, even the pain comes through, OUCH! I know you'll be back at full strength soon!

Rural Girl said...

I'm sorry to hear about your fall. You'll be back to good as new in now time!

Petraruns said...

What can I say? A girl who swallows her own medicine. You will be fine and taking it easy can sometimes do you the world of good. And I've added your sisters blog to my blogreader...