Monday, February 23, 2009

Gotta Eat & WIN!

Continuing to improve slowly but I should be wearing this sign when doing bike and run interval workouts.

Because that's when my nose decides to let loose the mucous and cause enormous amounts of coughing and spitting.

Otherwise, I'm fine. Well, except when I do stupid things like forgetting to eat after a late night 9-mile run on my treadmill and then neglecting to bring any food for a 50-mile bike ride the next morning. Doh! By themselves, neither of those workouts should have been a big deal but within 12 hours of each other and not having replenished during or after the run, the second half of the bike ride turned into a bonkfest (thanks also to horrible headwinds nearly the entire way home).



Luckily, we went by a minimart at mile 41 so I could get some sugar into me before I fell over. Managed to make it home safe, ate a quick lunch then crashed for 2 hours. Later for dinner I gobbled down a couple pieces of DiGiorno self-rising crust Spicy Chicken pizza with added spinach on top. Dare I say I'm now a fan of pizza?

Anyway, it wasn't necessarily pretty but week three is in the books:

3 full-body strength workouts (added more variety and resistance to some exercises)
1 swim (2250 yards - a dreadfully slow swim on my own)
2 runs (15.88 mi - one speed/snot workout and one steady pace run)
2 bike rides (73.2 mi - one speed/snot workout and one long, tough, windy ride)



In other news, I am giving WIN Sport Detergent a 5 out of 5 star rating. As some of you may know, laundry is Dave's job and being that he's usually only home on weekends, that's when it usually gets done. It's not at all uncommon that our sweaty workout clothes sit in the washer or in plastic hotel laundry bags for a few days until they get washed. And more than once my poor workout clothes have come out of the wash smelling WORSE than when they went in :-( One red shirt of Dave's, in particular, had been washed many times but stank immediately upon him wearing and sweating in it again, as if the previous sweat and bacteria had just been temporarily masked but not really removed. And for him to notice it must have been quite offensive!

But the WIN sport detergent worked like a charm. Not only did everything come out of the wash smelling fresh, they did NOT stink again as soon as they were worn and worked out in again. This has NEVER happened before with our regular laundry detergent or with samples of Penguin SportWash we'd tried before. And this is the closest that red shirt has gotten to my nose in years.

Each bottle of WIN is good for 14 loads so a 4-pack at $21.99 (plus $8.95 shipping)* will keep us stink-free for a year and for less than the cost of a pair of bike shorts. Great for frugal folks like us who don't like to buy new workout clothes unless they either fall apart or smell so bad we can't stand to wear them any more.

Thanks WIN!!!

*WIN offers a risk-free guarantee. If you are not happy with the product, they'll refund you the purchase price less shipping charges.

27 comments:

Road Warrior said...

Good to hear you're on the mend. Almost there!

Smithposts said...

M-m-m-m-m, Sugar Babies...haven't had those in a while! Glad you are feeling better!!

I will be looking into WIN for some stinky backpacking clothes!

Steve Stenzel said...

Yeah, that sounds like a recipe for a bonk-fest!!!

Glad you're feeling better!!

Sunshine said...

Amazed that a person could forget to eat. I'd probably go without my shoes before I would forget to eat. I'm not bragging!

3 Weeks ago I came down with a horrible cold... was mostly over it in about 5 days.. but I still still still have sinus congestion UGH! Wishing you totally well.

Thanks for your, as usual, delightful comments.

Molly said...

Great job on the workouts and YES eat more! I do that sometimes too though so I understand :)

Petraruns said...

Delighted to hear you're better AND wow you don't just half hop in.

I wish we had that detergent over here - I could really do with some of that!

Tammy said...

I know what it's like not be able to eat or forgetting to eat after working outs. I didn't get a chance to eat a thing before my 7 mile run on Saturday, so I was starving. The only meal I had filled me up so quick, I felt full for two days LOL. The detergent sounds great, could probably use it on a few things myself.

Oz Runner said...

just read your comment on my blog that you've done 21 marathons in 9 months...that is amazing...how did your body hold up to all that pounding?
good job on the workouts too...that spinach pizza looks yummy

Runner Leana said...

Oh, that pizza looks good! Love the idea of adding spinach in on top.

So you like the WIN better as well, eh?

Susan said...

I must be the only person out there not asked to test detergent! But so far my regular stuff works great. Oh well!

CewTwo said...

Take care of yourself! I cannot eat after most workouts and I generally do not eat beforehand. I don't think that I've bonked yet, but I'm sure I will. With me, though, it is just running!

The one glove... When I started running in 2005, I needed 2 gloves to stay warm. Sleeves and gloves bother me when I run. I would carry a rag for those ever important rage needs, but I've found that a single cotton glove on the right hand does that trick. I use it on the TM and on an outside run. Used on my marathon attempts. I just stick it in my belt or my waistband to cross that finish line!

You're the only one that's seen it so far. My friends around here are used to it and don't even see it any more.

Take care, Shirley!

Rainmaker said...

It's all about perfecting the art of the snot-rocket. When perfected, it can be used against evil effectively.

X-Country2 said...

I love pizza in any shape or form. Another great training week for sure.

Arland said...

Digiorno Pizza is the best frozen pizza out there in my opinion. I think its better than some of the pizza chains. Got to eat on those long rides especially. Amazing how many calories one will burn on a long bike ride. Sounds like your feeling a lot better to do all that!

KodaFit said...

Descriptions of mucous and running -> For a sec there, I thought I'd clicked on Steve Stenzel's blog by mistake :-)

Glad to hear you're feeling better, although I don't think I'll be letting my wife read this post. I can hear it now - ShirleyPerly's husband does the laundry on the weekends, why can't you?

Julianne said...

Wow, back to back intense workout without food?? Yikes! No wonder you bonked the 2nd half of your ride!! Downing a pizza after that was an excellent idea. :-)

Gotta Run said...

I am the queen of snot rockets. Don’t know why my nose goes into overtime once I start running or riding but it does.

I have never thought about adding spinach to a already prepared pizza. YUM!

The more I use my WIN Detergent the more I am convinced of the product. The smell is amazing and it really gets rid of any “pit” smells.

Shannon said...

I'm definitely going to pick up WIN. This is like the 100th review that says their awesome.

Great workout Mama!

The Alien said...

I also looove pizza! Actually, pizza is my secret pre-race day meal. I read somewhere that pizza is not good when carbloading (god knows why?) but it works perfectly for me!

Hope you're feeling better by now.

Vickie said...

Yes, I have clothes that are SO old they are old enough to go to college now, but I still wear them. However, they have reached the point where the stink meter goes off the charts when I even wear them, let alone sweat in them. Good info to know.

Formulaic said...

It seems like everybody recommends WIN.

Maybe it's time to look into it??

Thanks for your review. Breaking it down like that is a great idea to see how it can be a good deal.

That Bonkfest sounds brutal. Now you know.

What's your next big race? 50 miles seems large for B2B. but maybe your just building up early?

ShirleyPerly said...

My next tri is Rock 'n Roll Man, a half iron, end of May. I've only got 1-2 rides per week right now, though, so my total bike mileage is pretty low. Once I transition to base building, the mileage should increase. Woohoo!

Marathon Maritza said...

I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better! And hey, all the work outs got done, even if they weren't 'pretty' as you say. Great job!

And yay for being non-stinky! ;)

L. said...

Too funny about the warning sign. LOL. I'm glad you found a detergent that works for you.

Thanks for the comment about my bike. Yeah, I don't know what the shifty-thingamajiggers are called either. Ha ha.

Have a great Wednesday, and thanks again for the comment.

- Lora

Judi said...

how could you forget to eat after a 9 mile run??? omg, all i think about is food when i workout!

hope you are feeling better!

Brent Buckner said...

Glad you're overcoming the bug!

PLANET3RRY said...

Coughing and Spitting... MMmmm how sexy...

I might have to try the WIN stuff. Right now, when I have something that doesn't get that nice fresh clean smell, I'll run it again with Baking Soda in the initial wash and then put some vinegar in the bleach compartment. It "works" to some extent, but it's really a two-step process if it doesn't get cleaned with the regular load.