Sunday, February 01, 2009

What Super Bowl?

Usually the only way I know that the Super Bowl is on is that Dave is sitting in front of the TV playing on his laptop waiting for the commercials. I can talk to him and ask him to do something quick during the game BUT NOT DURING THE COMMERCIALS.

This year is different, however. Dave will be nowhere near a TV that will be airing it. Where is he now, you ask?

Actually, I can't say for sure but somewhere high in the sky living out one of his longtime dreams: A Trip Around the World!

This is something he's wanted to do since high school/college (25+ yrs) when his folks used to live in Saudi Arabia. He had always traveled there and back going over the Atlantic but never over the Pacific like he saw some people do.

Now you might wonder why did I not go too. For most people, it's a trip of a lifetime, something that couples usually want to do together, right?

TRUE. But let me clarify.

This trip around the world is pretty much just that. Dave has no interest in going outside of any airports to sightsee along the way except in Singapore, where he'll teach a one or two day class, the main purpose of this trip. All he really wants to do is sit on an airplane, encircle the earth and be able to say he went around the world. It'll take him 20+ hours flying time to get to Singapore (Orlando-DC-Frankfurt-Singapore) and another 20+ hours to come home (Singapore-Tokyo-Los Angeles-Orlando). He'll have 50 hours on the ground in Singapore. Total trip time including layovers: 5 days.

No thanks!

But I fully support him carrying out his dreams and better yet on someone else's dime :-) Below are a couple pictures of a happy husband on his dream trip so far. Perhaps by sharing his lunacy, I'll seem somewhat normal ...

Left: In my car headed to the airport, the first of many seats on his trip. Right: On the first leg to Washington DC. Looks to have an empty seat next to him in the exit row, which is pretty lucky!

Dulles airport as seen from the United Airlines Crown Room where he'll no doubt make good use of the free drinks and snacks.

Meanwhile, this week was pretty lax for me in terms of workouts. I wanted to make sure I began next week as mentally and physically fresh as possible. January's maintenance mode workout totals ended up being as follows:

8 runs - 74.2 mi
11 bike rides - 363.47 mi
10 swims - 24,200 yds
4 other workouts - 2:15 hrs

I'm not sure how much the training volume will change initially but looking forward to following an actual plan and having a coach. BTW, it now appears our new bikes won't be ready until end of February, later than we'd hoped but some things are better not rushed.

Hope everyone has a great Super Bowl Sunday!

26 comments:

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

That trip around the world doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Superbowl. Means I can sit and knit for a few hours this afternoon. It will seem almost normal as long as I sit in teh room that the game is on. LOL

Stef said...

Wow, I'm with you on staying home rather than enduring all those layovers!

I will not be watching the game because I have zero interest. ZERO. At the rate I'm going today I will just be getting around to doing my workout when it starts (3pm pst).

Shannon said...

Superbowl for me is....entertaining others....not really something I want to do this year.

You sound like you've had a great week of training.

Go Cardinals!

RunToFinish said...

I LOOOOVE to see other places and I HAAATE to travel, so that sounds awful to me!

Road Warrior said...

How cool for Dave! I used to spend a lot of time on airplanes, but nothing that impressive.

He won't know what day or time it is when he gets back. Wow!

Jade Lady said...

ah, that's why you didn't go! He's a lunatic! I say that lovingly, of course!!!

lizzie lee said...

ha ha.. I was gonna answer: Is he out to space?

Interesting. I am with you, Thanks, but no thanks. I wanna do the sightseeing too!!!

Good month, a lot of combined miles

jeanne said...

good for him, i guess! i'd vote for staying home too, if those are the conditions!

nice training month. I am right this minute struggling to set up my bike trainer and it's not cooperating. I think I'll vacuum instead. That should be considered training i'd say.

I can't wait for the commercials...which I will see tomorrow on the internets!

Arland said...

Wow, I think riding around the world in an airplane would be almost as painful as running a marathon. Recovery is just quicker. I have been to Brazil, and Europe, both of which was way too long on a plane for me.
Well, I'm doing what Dave would have been doing, watching the commercials and typing on the laptop. Good numbers on your workouts!!

Susan said...

Hi there. I am actually watching "Puppy Bowl" on Animal Planet. MUCH cuter!

And I just finished prepping dish 5 of 6 for post-baby. I do have the "real" game on elsewhere because I intended to watch the commercials... but I soon realized that I just don't care. LOL

Chasen has landed in Philly and I am suddenly swamped with work. Oh what a week I'll have!

Congrats to Dave. WOW!

Sunshine said...

Congratulations to you both for the marvelous support you give each other. That is pretty special togetherness.

Kevin said...

That really doesnt sound like a fun way to travel round the world. I spent the 2nd half of the superbowl on the trainer watching lord of the rings

ShirleyPerly said...

Yes, not my idea of fun either.

But my idea of fun does not sound like fun to most folks, unless they're triathletes :-)

Spokane Al said...

Wow, that sounds like an "interesting" trip. Good for him.

I did my morning bike trainer ride and then thoroughly enjoyed the Super Bowl and had the stereo blasting during the Springsteen halftime show. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon/evening once a year.

BreeWee said...

Oh I so bet you would have loved to be in Kona today, there was a local Mango Triathlon... sounds easier than the load you might handle...

The new taco place is next to Alvin's signs and designs, where the old candy shop was, near the Kona pool, on the corner of that 4 way stop. (sorry directions are scrambled, it is sort of hard to explain) it's called Almas Tacos, we will go there when you get back to kona!

Bruce Stewart said...

I had hoped there might have been a chance Dave would have had to fly through Taipei in which case we would have welcomed him to experience this beautiful island.
I, too, have never flown round the world. Have thought about it at times, and in the past there were some good ticket deals. I've yet to visit the US Mainland.

Brent Buckner said...

re: around the world plane tour

Well, everybody needs goals....

Calyx Meredith said...

Yay for Dave realizing his dream! Sitting in an aluminum tube hurtling through the sky at 650 mph for days at a time is NOT my idea of fun, but you're right... I suppose a lot of non triathletes would say that straddling a carbon fiber tube and hurtling downhills and grinding up hills for hours and hours at a time is not their idea of fun either.

jen said...

Wow, I think the flight around the world sound really cool!! I think it would be tough but it's a neat goal. Go Dave! :D

Great training, keep it up! :)

Marathon Maritza said...

WOW, what an awesome experience for Dave. But I'm with you on not wanting to be on a plane for so many hours! But very very cool!

Vickie said...

Much as I like to visit places, I do not like traveling there. Too much drama now days to enjoy yourselves. Nice totals for the month. If I could even do one third of that on the bike I would be happy, but I likely won't reach those numbers until at least June.

X-Country2 said...

What a cool thing to say you have done! Hopefully he'll have some cool stories.

akshaye said...

Yeah.. I dont blame you for opting out of that one!

Oz Runner said...

kind of cool to be able you went around the world.....too bad he won't be able to enjoy it more...

Rural Girl said...

You do seem pretty normal! Five days on a plane? Yuck!

peter said...

Sounds like a fantastic (long) Nice workout schedule for the month. BTW Shirley, I swear by my compression shorts. They are different from bikers' shorts, of course, with no padding, so they're not noticeable at all, just flimsy clingy nylon. But they keep my muscle mass around my hammies warm, so I think they work, whether they do or not. I buy them at Walmart for 9.88. Target used to have them but no more.