Monday, February 16, 2009

No Race, No Worries

Thank you, everyone, for your well wishes! Except for some occasional coughing and post-nasal drip, I'm pretty much back to normal. YAY!

As for the half marathon yesterday, I decided against doing it, although I'm confident that I could have run it easy and finished. Why did I opt to take my first-ever DNS (Did Not Start)?

Because some things are more important than a race, especially one that was "C priority."

I signed up for the 26.2/13.1 Run with Donna (aka National Marathon to Fight Breast Cancer) nearly a year ago to run it with some friends. Being three hours away and on Valentine's Day weekend, I thought it would make a nice weekend getaway with my husband too. But Friday night, Dave came home from the west coast sick with the same flu bug I had this week. It hit him the same time but he'd not had the luxury to rest as much as me while on travel and he desperately needed to recuperate before heading out on his next business trip Monday (today).

So rather than drag him to the race sick or spend the weekend without him, I chose to stay home and make sure both of us got some extra rest. There was no day-of-race packet pickup available anyway even if I'd gotten the urge to drive 6 hours roundtrip and run the race spur of the moment.



Instead, we shared some soup, snuggles and sniffles. Then the next day we were feeling well enough to go out so we did something we've never done before. We both dressed in pink, headed over to Costco and ransacked the food sampling stations (OK, just the first one we'd never done before :-)

Exercise-wise, I still managed to do all my assigned workouts this week, albeit some were at a lower resistance/intensity level:

3 full-body strength workouts (starting to notice some adaptations!)
2 swims (4950 yards - one group swim, one on my own with 500 yds kicking -- bleah)
2 runs (14 mi - one easy run and one semi-speed workout)
1 bike ride (41 mi - easy, optional ride)

Week two down and hopefully no more illnesses for the rest of the year!

22 comments:

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Glad you are feeling better!!

Molly said...

Sounds like you made the right choice for the long run of keeping healthy. Great job!

Wendy said...

Good choice! Glad to hear you are both feeling better.

(With you on the kicking. But I should probably do a bit more ...)

Gotta Run said...

Looks like a good decision made. Time with your hubby is priceless and when they don't feel a 100% it makes the decision that much easier.

Smart chic!!

Calyx Meredith said...

Pretty in pink! Y'all are too cute. Glad you stayed home together to recuperate. Hope you both are all the way back to 100%!

And? I am so impressed with you getting all of your workouts in! I need to get better at finding the balance you did between being consistent and still taking care of myself.

X-Country2 said...

Glad you're feeling better. You did the right thing by staying at home to snuggle and recoup. :o)

aron said...

glad you are feeling better!!! sounds like that was the right choice :)

WADDLER26.2 said...

Glad that you are feeling better. Good choice on skipping the half. Of course you could have done it but why??

Shannon said...

Hey Girl,

Happy V day and glad your feeling better. What adaptations are you seeing with the full body strength?

Happy Monday!

ShirleyPerly said...

I should have been more specific, sorry. What I noticed is that certain exercises that used to bother me due to previous injuries to my right hamstring and right shoulder are no longer so difficult. I can do hamstring curls, pulldowns and pullovers with more confidence and with a bit more weight. Last week when I first started doing these exercises, I had some range of motion and right-left side imbalance issues that made them feel quite awkward. This week the exercises felt much better!

Karen said...

impressive - sick and still getting in your workouts! I love the valentines gift of M&Ms and chicken soup :) Hope you are feeling better!

jen said...

Well, it was a memorable Valentine's Day, right? I'm glad that you played it safe and are feeling better. Cute pics! :)

Arland said...

Sometimes it better to have a DNS than feel bad afterwards. Been there done that! Glad your feeling better, that flu bug seems to be going around.

Petraruns said...

What a wise decision - and you're on track with all your workouts.. Well done girl. Well done on both of you taking some time out and enjoying yourselves / each other - if there is any point to Valentine's, that's got to be it..

Brittany M. said...

Glad you feel better, so sorry you were sick and had to miss it but it sounds like you were wise in your choices!

Smithposts said...

The flu bug sounds nasty. Glad you all are feeling better!

Looks like your Valentine's Day turned out pretty good in spite of the flu, snuggles, rest and sniffles...together!

Susan said...

I think you made a wise, yet probably difficult, choice. (Hmmm... I just made a similar comment to Marathon Chris' latest post!)

Nothing is more important than loved ones!

Formulaic said...

Rest up and be well.

Even though you were sick you had a MONSTER swim.

Way to go! The swim will NOT be a problem for you this time.

PLANET3RRY said...

Awwwwwwwwwww were we DNS buddies?

Marathon Maritza said...

I've been behind on my blog reading, so I hope it's not too late to say, hope ya feel better soon!

What a cute picture of soup, M&M heart and tissues! Sounds like you made the right choice to stay home and enjoy some snuggles. :)

Cliff said...

Hi Shirley,

That's very nice in pink :). Yes, better to stay home and recoup when you are sick :) Even if it is an easy race :)

peter said...

Your first DNS ever? Wow. Life does intrude sometimes, & maintaining your personal relationships (i.e. balance) is key. Hope everyone is better by now!