Sunday, March 01, 2009

Proud New Parents

Nine months ago, we decided to make some new additions to our family. It's been a long wait but they're finally done and this past weekend we went back to TriSports.com in Tucson, AZ, and saw them for the first time.

Dave's new road bike with a Shimano Ultegra build. He wanted a brightly colored paint design that resembled blobs of a lava lamp flowing down his bike. (clickable)


My new road bike with a Shimano Ultegra build. I got the design that he didn't like, actually. It's similar but more refined/feminine looking and with yellow instead of blue. (clickable)


We went out for a 55 mile test ride on a moderately hilly route (2300 ft of climbing). The carbon frames absorbed a lot of road shock and the new kids performed every bit as well as we hoped they would. WEE!


Here's Dave coming up a hill. What a beautiful day to be out for a ride!


As usual, my bike frame is too small to carry two bottles on the frame so I added aero bars to be able to carry an aero bottle in front and to have the option to use the bike for (non-ITU) tris. Why not show it off?

It'll take about a week or so for the new kids to arrive in Orlando. Meanwhile, Dave just hired Coach Bill (my coach) to help him get in shape to be my iron cycling partner. Of course, he already enjoys riding but not usually over 80 miles and definitely not in hot & humid conditions. Is that love or what? Good thing his life insurance policy is up to date ...

Workout-wise, week four went considerably better for me than week three:

3 full-body strength workouts (noticeably stronger and starting to see more muscle definition)
2 swims (5700 yards - not as fast as I'd have liked but felt MUCH better than last week!)
2 runs (21 mi - no speed work this week, just two distance runs - no complaints)
1 bike ride (55.8 mi - fun test ride in Tucson)

One more week of building a muscular base and then I switch to my base phase of training. Tomorrow I will catch up on my blog reading!

29 comments:

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

your matching (almost) bikes are too cute! I love the bright colors.

Yeah, I'm all about the way it looks when it's someone else's bike. LOL

Road Warrior said...

Oh, those look nice. How cool of Dave to get some coaching to keep up with you.

Brittany M. said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Glad you have your bikes at last. I have found another mountain bike and am considering buying it. Not XL this time, but 2XS, something you would probably never see in the US. I am still slowly looking for a road/tri bike frame. While it appears yours is made in Canada, Bree's is apparently made here as Argon 18 bikes are made and sold here. So maybe I'll eventually persuade someone to make me one. Did you write your name on it in case you cannot recognize it after coming out of the swim?

Shannon said...

Very cool! I absolutely love the designs.

Brent Buckner said...

Sweet rides!

Nice that Dave wants to be along on the big tours.

Calyx Meredith said...

Congratulations on the new additions to your family! I absolutely love the lava lamp blobs on Dave's bike! How wonderful that he's training to be with you on those long rides. True love!
(I'm curious about the non-ITU aside. What does ITU or non-ITU have to do with an aerobar water bottle?) Have a great week 5!!

Nancy Toby said...

ENVY ENVY ENVY! Your bikes are gorgeous! Love the paint job!

ShirleyPerly said...

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Calyx: In ITU tris, drafting is legal and athletes ride road bikes but often use shortie aerobars when not drafting as the race rules say aero bars cannot extend beyond the handlebars. I tried some shorties but they weren't comfortable to me and went with the regular ones since I don't plan to do ITU races anyway.

COTY said...

some good looking kids there !

The Alien said...

Nice bikes! I think I like the design in yours more. And they have your names on them! thats awesome!

Flatman said...

Those are some beautiful bikes!!! Congratulations. :)

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Oh My God--those are soo freakin' SWEET!!!!!!!!

aron said...

YAY for new toys!!! so fun :)

Formulaic said...

Those are great bikes. They look fast!

Have you noticed a difference in the Ultegra gear?

I never realized that short framed bikes can't have two bottles. Learn something new everyday!

Have you thought about the bottle rack behind the seat?

Cliff said...

Shirley,

Most impress with the bikes and the color of the top to match your ride.

I would think love keeping the insurance up to date (i had a laugh reading this part).

ShirleyPerly said...

Cliff: Yes, we like to wear bright color jerseys and so we will match our bikes well. And I agree love and life insurance go hand in hand.

Izaac: From everything I've heard and read, with my level of cycling, I would not notice much difference between Dura Ace and Ultegra components, except in the price, which is significant. My racing tri bike does have a Dura Ace rear derailleur and both it and my travel tri bike have Dura Ace shifters but as long as everything is adjusted right and working well I'm happy :-)

As for the bottle(s) behind the seat, I might try that with the new road bike since I'm much more comfortable riding in the upright position. On the other bikes, reaching behind me has never felt comfortable so I'd forgotten about that option.

Fe-lady said...

Glad you had a good ride here-where did you end up riding?
I too am hoping to save enough to order a Guru from Trisports in time for my IM in Nov.
How long did it take you guys to get yours?
Next time maybe we will be able to meet up!

Susan said...

CONGRATS! You should indeed be proud! Wow -- great work, you two!

jen said...

Congratulations! Those are beautiful bikes. What a ride to break them in too!! :)

Marathon Maritza said...

Oooh sweet rides! I'm not a cyclist, but even *I* think those bad boys are cool!

And yes, what a gorgeous day to be out for a ride!

Rainmaker said...

Wow, very nicely done on the dualing bikes! Congrats!

Runner Leana said...

Congratulations on the new additions! They are beautiful. You must be so proud!

Arland said...

Love the new bikes! I am so jealous..lol. Love the his and hers designs.

Tammy said...

Nice Bikes :D

L. said...

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! Congratulations on your newest additions. Wow, they're just beautiful!

RBR said...

Oh.My.God! Those are some GORGEOUS bikes! I bet you look adorable on them. Well, you are probably an adorable blurr! LOL!

I love those patterns and colors. Congratulations!

akshaye said...

Oh.. they look so amazing! Happy riding with new wheels.

PLANET3RRY said...

Well, they aren't tax deductions. (unless you start a triathlon or sports type business... even a consulting business those should be deductions)

On the other hand, they don't talk back.