Monday, March 09, 2009

Meet My New Friends


Well, not really new but they've been hiding for a while and are back!

Of course, my muscles are nothing compared to many of you swimmers and gym rats out there, I know, but this old bag is feeling like she belongs in the pool and at the gym much more. And that confidence, along with having finally kicked that annoying cough, has helped me to a good fifth week of training:

3 full-body strength workouts (feels good to feel strong)
2 swims (4900 yards - one on my own, one with a group - wanting to swim more!)
2 runs (14.35 mi - one 10-miler and a 4-miler that wasn't supposed to be speed work- Oops!)
2 bike rides (80.2 mi - one 25-miler and one 55 miler mi - Both by myself since Dave was on travel. Not as fun but I got them done).

Overall, there are definitely some cool things that I can do now that I couldn't do a couple months ago:

  • Swim with no pain. YAY!!!
  • Three sets of 25 full body push-ups with little difficulty.
  • Lunges (one-legged squats), even with 10# dumbbells in each hand.
  • Run hard with no hammy pain and few worries. W00T!

    Unfortunately, there are also some uncool things I can do if I'm not careful:

  • Forget to eat and/or bring food and screw up my workouts.
  • Fix a hole in a bike tube and create 2 new ones trying to put the tube back in the tire. DOH!!
  • Get sucked into running 7-minute miles with no warm-up whatsoever. Not smart!
  • Come home from a strength workout, get carried away doing yard work and end up with doubly sore muscles.

    Anyway, my first phase of iron training, 5 weeks of building a muscular base, has been completed. I'm very pleased with the results. Coach Bill says my shoulders look much stronger and Dave says my butt is noticeably smaller :-) I think/hope if I can keep from getting injured this year, I just might have some speed left in me yet.

    Next up: Base Building!
  • 23 comments:

    Molly said...

    Wow, great job! Looks like you have an excellent start to your training!

    Wendy said...

    Shirley you look fabulous!! And it sounds like you feel good too, which is even better.

    Petraruns said...

    Holy moly you are gorgeous! and those muscles - I am envious. Not a bingo wing on you girlfriend!

    Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

    Yeah, baby!! Lookin' good!!

    jen said...

    Whoo hoo Shirley! You look amazing. :)

    aron said...

    WOOOO check out those guns!!! you look AWESOME :) all that hard work is definitely paying off!!!

    Maddy said...

    Welcome to the gun show!!!!

    Marathon Maritza said...

    "Old bag"?????? I would KILL for arm and back muscles like yours! You look great!

    **excuse me while I run to the gym and lift more weights!**

    skoshi said...

    Wow--very impressive. Those arms look great. Isn't it so much "easier" to move when you get stronger? Very motivational!

    BTW, my "brightly colored swimsuit" I almost lost is orange, black, with a little white--and looks almost just like yours! :)

    Calyx Meredith said...

    Look at that definition! Woo hoo for you girl! Very inspiring to me to stick with my weight training.

    The Alien said...

    Hawt! Nothing like seeing the results of hard training! I'm happy that you are feeling alright again.

    Susan said...

    Looking GREAT, Shirley! And I love your lists. I am a firm believer that lists keep the world on track!

    Flatman said...

    Dang! :)

    CewTwo said...

    Never an old bag! I wish that I looked as good as you do!

    Thanks for the sage advice, Shirley, I always appreciate your assistance. I don't think I could have completed my marathon without listening to you!

    I thought that Joyce's problem with the Runningmates blogsite was a cache overrun problem. It does seem to have solved itself.

    Gotta Run said...

    nice guns :)

    Your husband better walk the line or he may get a good beating! lol!

    keep up the workouts.

    X-Country2 said...

    You look so fit and healthy! Keep up the good work, girl.

    WADDLER26.2 said...

    Wow---look at those guns!! You rock.

    Spokane Al said...

    You look as if you are about to crush your camera.

    Congratulations on your musculature - you rock!

    Irish Blue said...

    You're going to need a license to carry for those guns! You look fantastic. I hope I can build some muscle too while I'm on hiatis from running.

    Stretch woman!!! I'm a real believer these days in the need to warm up and stretch.

    Shannon said...

    Sexy Mama! I'm lovin' your guns!

    Runner Leana said...

    Woohoo, awesome progress Shirley!

    TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

    HOT-TIE!!!!!!!

    PLANET3RRY said...

    Rock on!

    And really if you have strong lean muscles, that's less weight than if you have bulky muscles. I have the soccer player legs and although they are nice eye candy, they don't help me very much in the swim. They do provide some power up hills, though