Friday, March 27, 2009

Friday Randomness

1. My son-in-law got a job! OK, so it's just a temporary job with the U.S. Census Bureau, not what a recent graduate with Masters Degree in Civil Engineering would normally want, but times are tough. We're proud of you, Kevin. You never know whose door you might knock on and where it may lead.

2. After years of trying, our neighborhood finally has a Neighborhood Crime Watch program. Of course, I volunteered to be one of the Crime Watch Block Captains. Today I came home from a run around noon and saw a suspicious looking car idling in front of my neighbor's house. Late model sedan, dark blue, Buick Marquis, very dark tinted windows, can't see anyone inside. I decided to extend my cool-down so I could walk past it and note the license plate on the back. Then the driver's side car door opened. Crap! I reached for my pepper spray and prepared for the worst. Oh hi, Deputy P. It was our off-duty sheriff's deputy in an unmarked car.

3. Eeks, can I say I'm LOVING logging my food?! Yeah, I know I'm weird. But I've had some concerns the past couple weeks in training. Am I fueling myself enough for my workouts? Is hunger a good indicator of when I should eat? What the heck am I eating??? With Livestrong's Daily Plate (thanks Jeanne for mentioning it to me), I now know the answers: sometimes, not really, and mostly good but some bad stuff too. It's not rocket science but I think knowing more about my nutrition will help me go further and faster.

4. Cliff Bar rocks! Remember that peanut butter recall a few months back? Well, that caused us to have to throw away a couple boxes of bars we'd bought. But not before I filed for a refund on their website. In the mail recently we got coupons for new bars. But get this, each box contained 6 bars and they gave us 12 coupons per box claimed. Thank you, Cliff Bar. We will most certainly continue to buy your products.

5. Silly sign!! (clickable)


Have a great weekend, everyone, and good luck to all who are racing!!!

26 comments:

MaineSport said...

Great picture! Great Floridian was my first IM. Super race. Couple bits of advice, if you haven't been there before. 1) Don't look across the lake when running. The view will totally depress you. 2) Take the first 6 miles of the run really easy due to the hills. 3) Have fun!

Shannon said...

That sign makes my blood boil (not really, but it does tick me off).

I got the ClifBar refund too. I just got my money back but no free bars.

Have a good one!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Laughing out loud at both #2 and #5. Heheheheheh.

Cliff said...

wow those are crocs. I thought they were plastics someone dumped along hte road.

I use to love Clif Bars. I find them too sweet now. I move on to Clif Bloks :P

I love Clif Bar Company. If you read the book fo how they got started. Truly remarkable.

jen said...

Congrats to your son in law! I know how tough the job market is right now so I can appriciate this small victory. It will be a valuable experience!

Calyx Meredith said...

Woo hoo for your son-in-law's new job! (We know very well how great it is to have a job, any job!) And I'm cracking up about the encounter with the deputy. Have a great weekend.

WADDLER26.2 said...

Glad for your SIL and getting a job-it is so tough!.

That photo of the sign is great.

Tammy said...

Now that sign... ??? What on earth are they thinking LOL. You should send that into David Letterman. Haa Haa., but the car, girl your a brave woman, I'd be watching from afar hiding LOL.... I don't think I'd go next to the car but it's a good think you had pepper spray on you.

Black Knight said...

If they are crocodile I think that it is the right place to organize a workout with my boss even if I worry for the .... crocodiles.

Petraruns said...

Love the photo! And pleased that the nutrition education is working, and worthwhile. Keep it up and share!

Jade Lady said...

Great to hear about s-i-l. In this economy, it's definitely tough. And, good to hear about your neighborhood program getting started. I'll have to catch up to find out about this food loggin'.

jeanne said...

awesome! glad you like livestrong's site. i hope they put my referral check in the mail!

congrats to the s-i-l!

Rainmaker said...

Aweosome pic, I LOVE THAT! And congrats to your son!

X-Country2 said...

Great picture. Typical, just typical. :o)

Susan said...

Good for you, Sherrif Shirley! Way to be observant. Better safe than sorry.

RoadBunner said...

I have visions of you doing your neighborhood crime watch on your runs...You probably rack up as much mileage as a police car!

Girl on Top said...

That is awesome that your son-in-law found a job!!!

LOL on being a total watchful captain!

Runner Leana said...

Congratulations to your son-in-law! Civil has to be a pretty tough area to find a job in at the moment.

Glad to hear that you are really getting something out of logging your food. Didn't I say before that I should get back to doing that? Hmm, I still think that, I just need to finally take some action!

Gotta Run said...

I love random posts! checking out the web link now.

Brent Buckner said...

Did the gators put up the sign, or just read it? Clever critters!

Vickie said...

Nice of you to volunteer for neighborhood crime watch. I think as runners we are more aware of our area than otherwise, and obviously spend more time outside. I always take note of weird, strange, or suspicious things going on. So far I've never had to call the police, but I would if I had to!

Runner's Anonymous said...

Good luck on the calorie counting thing. I started juicing and taking fish oil capsules and I must say I do feel better.

Lora said...

You are sooooo funny, Shirley! "Hello, Deputy P." I'm so LOL.

That is really cool of Clif Bars...really cool.

Thanks for the inspire on my blog. It's good to know I'm not the only one who's had to start swimming from scratch!

PLANET3RRY said...

You wouldn't believe what my job was after getting my Master's in Nuclear Engineering... so Census is cool.

Oh, I would have taken those bars! Well if they were the Chocolate/Peanut Bar. No Salmonella scare will keep me away from eating the Clif Bars. Can't wait for them to come back... the other "new" flavors are nice, but I likey my Choc?Peanut Butter.

I see that Photo and think... MAN! Look at all those BOOTS!

skoshi said...

Congrats on your son-in-law getting a job. The census actually can be pretty interesting.

That sign is just TOO funny!

Do you actually see these creatures on the side of the road? And, BTW, are they crocs or alligators. An inland, desert dweller would like to know :)

ShirleyPerly said...

They do look to be crocs. I'm not sure where the photo was taken (it was sent to me by Dave who received it from a friend). It looks to be some type of park or preserve with all the nature signs every few feet. In FL, there's always a possibility that a gator may be around if there's a body of water nearby but don't see them very often in developed areas.