Thursday, April 02, 2009

Yummy!

Maybe it's that I'm eating better?

Or the pseudo recovery week I had last week?

Or that I'm now in Base Building Week 4 and have finally adjusted?

Or because I'm back in Kona?


Whatever it is, I am feeling good!

Tuesday's 10-mile run was hands down the best training run I've had this year to date. Perfect low 70 degree weather with a light breeze (I prefer to train in warm weather as it makes racing in cooler weather even easier and I can still manage if it's hotter than expected). I had a good sweat going within the first mile and fell into the ZONE. Beautiful beaches, pretty flowers, smell of the ocean, lots of other runners and walkers about ... I was in paradise!

Never mind that it was a few degrees warmer than last week's 8-mile steady pace run, 2 miles further and a rolling course vs. a flat one, I finished with an average pace that was 23 seconds faster (9:02 vs. 9:25) and with an average HR that was 14 beats lower. Unfreakingbelievable!!

Maybe I can still run a 4-hourish marathon running only 10-20 miles a week and with no long runs over 10-11 miles? The Fargo Marathon is now just over a month away and still looks to be on although all the flooding in the area might cause the course to change. One thing for sure, though, if a dike breaks, I have a better chance of sprinting to safety now than I did before (I have a half iron tri 3 weeks later that is actually a more important race :-).

But I have been biking a lot and yesterday's 40 mile ride with 20 easy followed by 20 hard was another total surprise. I admit that I was actually dreading it because I knew it'd hurt a lot, not only because I'd be time-trialing hard by myself (Dave is not with me on this trip) and hadn't ridden any hills the past four three months, but because it's often a headwind coming back making things even more miserable. Struggling to go 16mph down hills is not fun :-(

But Mother Nature played an April Fool's Day joke on me!

She started off doing her usual thing pushing me along on the way out. It took every ounce of will power I had to keep riding easy. Man, I wanted to fly! Average pace for the first 20.22 miles: 15.67mph

But approaching the turnaround point, I could feel the wind shifting (that's Kona for ya!). Yep, now it was pretty much a straight crosswind. I got going on the second half of the ride and could not believe the speeds my little travel bike was traveling: 17-19 mph up hills, 20-22+ otherwise.

Of course, there was a lot of huffing, puffing and grunting, as well as mental games being played. Can I catch those two cyclists I saw at the turnaround who are ahead of me? Don't let that guy in back of me catch me. Don't let ANYONE catch me. The faster I go, the sooner this will be over. I'm Chrissie Wellington gunning for a new Kona IM bike course record. There's a car in back of me trying to run me over ...

The toughest part was having to stop at a red light with just one mile to go. UGH! No, I take that back. Having to start up again after stopping and go up a hill too was the toughest part. Double UGHHHH!!

Still, my avg pace for the second 20 miles ended up being 20.22 mph. That's the fastest I've ever ridden that course solo -- WOOHOO!!!

So what new things have I been eating?


Well, for one, scrambled eggs and ham over a large tossed salad. Funny thing is I really don't like the taste of eggs (have to mask it with lots of marinara sauce, salsa or ketchup) but my muscles have been saying yummy so into the mouth it goes to feed them!

23 comments:

Shannon said...

Awesome training and in such a great place. Egg in salad? interesting.....:)

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

scrambled eggs on salad? Sounds healthy, but kinda gross!

ShirleyPerly said...

It's definitely not something I'd serve to anyone else but it does give me more variety in my relatively protein-limited everyday diet.

The Alien said...

Those sound like 2 great workouts, and you were going FAST on the bike!!!

Coach Bill said...

Shirley - nice job! Proud of you and all you are doing. Keep up the good work. Trust the workouts and you will meet all of your goals :-)

Have a great trip - see you whehn you return

Brent Buckner said...

Mmmm... scrambled eggs and ham....

Tasty and at least healthier than corned beef hash!

X-Country2 said...

I love a great training week. Keep it up!

Gotta Run said...

Love it when you start seeing the rewards of all of the hardwork and changes. Your decreased Hr and increased bike mph is amazing.

Not sure about the dish... but I would be up for trying it.

aron said...

YAY for feeling good!!!

I have been eating eggs like a mad person too :) thats the only real thing I have been craving. I put them in a WW tortilla with a little bit of cheese and salsa and am in heaven :)

Tammy said...

Great job on your training, keep up the great work. As long as your body is saying yummy to the food you eat that's all that matters.

Runner Leana said...

Stellar training Shirley!!!!! You are going to rock your races! Hope you are enjoying your time in Kona!

Rainmaker said...

That looks like a really good dish. I think i might make that for lunch tomorrow - as I'm on a rut of turkey/chicken sandwhiches. Sweet!

Petraruns said...

I love eggs - we have chickens so our eggs are just gorgeous and so fresh - but I'm not sure about the salad ShirleyPerly. Though if the proof of the salad is in the workouts - you're proving me wrong and yourself right. Way to go on all of those workouts. Still looking fab, by the way, as well!

Wendy said...

Nice running! (I am a big fan of feta + spinach omelettes, myself.)

Calyx Meredith said...

What a great run you had!! Gotta love it when everything seems to come together. Enjoy your time in Kona. I can't imagine what it would be like to go from Hawaii to Fargo at this time of the year!

DaveP said...

Gotta be the weather and views providing a positive mental outlook making you faster and eggs taste better.

Vickie said...

Lucky you training in GOOD weather!

Jade Lady said...

Hey - eggs are wonderful in salads...if I ate salads..he he. So, this is where you are - tried to call you a couple of days ago. Sounds like you're having a great time in Kona, as always!

Susan said...

You're on top of the world, Ms. Eggs! :)

PLANET3RRY said...

Well, if people have hard-boiled eggs over salad (i.e. Chef Salad) Scrambled Eggs isn't that far-fetched. Same Cooked Embryo, just mixed up a bit. I would be interested to see the Protein/Carb ratio of your concoction. Protein of the ham and eggs and the carb of the marinara, salsa or Ketchup. And what lettuce are you eating? Hopefully something like Romaine or even better... spinach (cause your Shirley the Ironman TOOT TOOT!)

I find your "Maybe I can still run a 4-hourish marathon running only 10-20 miles a week and with no long runs over 10-11 miles?" a little humorous because the answer is "Yeahhhh". And I can say that with confidence because you have that "E" word. Experience. You KNOW what it's like to run marathons... you know what it's like to run back to back marathons. And if I remember correctly without looking at your results, a Sub4 is something that you have done before. So your body knows. And as a multi-marathon plus triathlete is that your body REMEMBERS. And it remembers a little faster each time.
And you also have to remember that you cross train like the Dickens (Charles, that is) so you don't necessarily need those SUPER long runs. It's already in you!
So that sub4 can happen. It's really just a matter of how much you'll hurt after wards (that is the REAL question! HA!)

Girl on Top said...

Glad you're feeling great!

Sunshine said...

Happy!! You sound happy!! Wrapped in the joy of running and biking there. Go Shirley!

Feeding yourself what makes you GO.. so satisfying.

We woke up to a fairyland blanket of snow this morning.. so off to that around and around little track again today. But it sure is pretty out.

sue said...

抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信社,徵信,主機代管,虛擬主機,專屬主機,實體主機,獨立主機,網域申請,網頁空間,推薦虛擬主機,網域,網域註冊