Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Egg Swim Meet

We have a VERY casual swim meet at the Kona pool on Saturday and if you have a USMS card, you can swim. Warm up at 3, meet starts at about 3:30. Come and say hi even if you don't swim.

That was part of an email I got from Karlyn Pipes-Nielsen, one of my swim instructors here in Kona.

Me compete in a masters swim meet? HA, I've never even been to a swim meet, nor do have a USMS card. But I could certainly come by to watch!


And watch I did. Stop watch, that is. Coach Eric, Karlyn's husband and swim coach, handed me a green one and put me to work.

What fun!! A very low key meet, indeed. About 8 folks there competing, including Karlyn, pro triathlete Bree Wee and some local swimmers and triathletes. You could pick which events you wanted to do, start from the blocks, pool deck or in the water, and flip turns were not mandatory (but two-handed touches were required for butterfly and breast, as usual). Sometimes people were racing the same distance but doing different strokes. One guy even raced by himself a couple times.

The highlight for me was watching Karlyn and Bree go head to head on the 500 yd freestlyle.

Bree (left in photo above) is often one of the first women out of the water in tris but on this day hoped to be lapped no more than once by powerhouse Pipes-Nielsen (right in photo above). Now if it were me going up against either of them, I think a fair race would be if I swim 250 while they swim 500. Both are FAST!!


Here they are ready to go. Bree looks to be saying a little prayer, haha.

And below is 14 seconds of their race coming up on 350 yards. Karlyn is getting close to catching Bree and would eventually do so, but only once. Great job, Bree!



There were three of us timing Karlyn. My watch time was in the middle so 5:04:13 was used as the official time, a new 45-50 year old women's masters record for her -- Congrats Karlyn!!!

Tomorrow I get a swim lesson from Coach Eric (Karlyn is on travel). Who knows, next year they just might have to find another timer ;-)

24 comments:

Runner Leana said...

I read Bree's post - how cool that you got to watch and time them! Good luck on your swim lesson with Coach Eric!!

Vickie said...

I have done several swim meets. Not that I'm that good, just that I've done them. And I can only do free or back. But they are fun, exciting to watch, and amazing to see how fast some of these athletes swim. Do a relay and then you won't have to compete against others as much. The relays really are the most fun. The pool reminds me of the outdoor one at the USAT training center in Clermont, FL.

Gotta Run said...

I would be all over watching those girls fly through the water. How cool!!!!

Brent Buckner said...

Good that you went to the show!

Brittany M. said...

Wow, how much fun, not to mention getting to watch such awesome talent!! Great way to spend a day!

Julianne said...

Looks like a fun event to watch and attend! And how cool that you got to participate. I wish I was in Kona, too!! :-)

WADDLER26.2 said...

How cool and exciting to watch. Motivation plus for your swim with the Coach.

Eileen Swanson said...

Very cool, glad you had so much FUN!!

DaveP said...

Glad you are enjoying the last week in Kona. BTW, that's a great tricep shot.

X-Country2 said...

What a great day! I'd love to do a grown up swim meet.

Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

I only wish you had more coverage of Karlyn swimming. Your 14 secs vimeo could only get one length of her (she was really motoring though and her flip turn was just the kind that I am trying hard to do myself). Still, I guess you had to time the race and so to have any video at all is certainly something to be thankful for.
You should get a USMS card, and you should have a go at any chances to race like this. I hardly ever had the chance to race in a pool even in Kona, which I regret a lot. Maybe some day I will just fly to Hawaii for a race like this one.

Susan said...

You look fantastic! And in that vein, swimmers have VERY fit bodies! :) Wow -- what a great way to spend a day.

Shannon said...

Those woman are fantastic! I love to watch great swimmers.

AddictedToEndorphins said...

Sounds like a fun meet! And so cool that you not only got to watch, but you got to be the official time keeper!:)

Formulaic said...

Sounds like you had a great time!

You in competing masters? That would be awesome!

One thing I have learned about you is never doubt your ability. You can do anythig you put your mind to. And you do well!

Sunshine said...

Another delightful picture of You!!
Go Shirley!

Rural Girl said...

Shirley, that is so unbelievably cool! How lucky you are to not only be in Hawaii but get a swim lesson too! Great video.

peter said...

My goodness, that woman is fast! It's a pleasure to see swimming done right (of course we saw a lot of that last summer at the Olympics).

Jade Lady said...

So cool! Glad you went and checked it out. Hey, I just started practicing that technique you got from Karlyn! Check out my recent post on it.

Lora said...

What a fun day! You should definitely create a job opening for someone next go 'round! Ha ha.

PLANET3RRY said...

Well, once you get enough training with pros, you can come to Tennessee and I'll let you be my timer... how's that? ;-)

BreeWee said...

ha ha, so good to see you around Kona lately. That video is hilarious, It looked like I was winning... ha ha ha, next year YOU are in the pool :)
Hope you are happy and well!

Petraruns said...

Love the post and good for your for timing everyone. By the way - your arms just look fabulous. Just saying..

SO late to the party but I wanted to weigh in on the bikini question. As you might expect from a European - go for it! One of the first things I did after losing weight years ago was buying a bikini again. Not to be noticed - at all though I think Terry is right but I just ignore that - but because they are much more comfortable for lounging around pools - you have far less wet fabric sticking to you. Hey - Im European - when there is no-one about (and bear in mind we have a private pool) I swim naked so a bikini is clothes to me. The deeper point here though - when do you decide that what matters is your comfort and happiness and let others sort themselves out? For what it is worth - you are a spectacular, strong, beautiful woman who will happen to look great in a bikini..

RoadBunner said...

Looks like fun! I miss outdoor pools in Hawaii :)

I went to Bree's blog and saw a picture of spam musubi! You guys are killing me!!