Monday, April 20, 2009

Back in Orlando

Whew, since when is 12 hours of traveling considered a rest day?

I got back home from Kona on a redeye Friday morning with a 40-mile bike ride and a 2100-yard swim to do later that day. On Saturday was a hard effort 20-mile bike ride followed by 3 mile brick run, and in the evening a Kids House charity fundraiser event. Sunday, a 60-mile bike ride, then later a 2000-yard swim.

But you know which was the toughest for me?


Yep, getting dressed up and wearing high heeled shoes for 5 hours at the charity event. Man, am I out of shape for that!

The fun thing, though, was that it was a creative black tie event with a sports theme. Namely, people wore sports-related things in addition to or in lieu of the usual black tie stuff. Lots of guys wearing sports jerseys with their suits & tuxes; women with ball caps and nice dresses. I accessorized with a race belt, race number and my 2003 Boston Marathon medal :-) Dave wore sneakers and his Duke Blue Devils tie.


This year's live band was World Classic Rockers, comprised of former members of Journey, Steppenwolf, Santana, Toto, Boston and Lynyrd Skynyrd. They played a bunch of rock songs that everyone knew and really got the place hopping. It was all for a great cause -- to help abused children -- so worth sore feet and some lost sleep, right?

Besides, I still managed to get all my workouts done (week 7 of Base Building):

Swim - 4 (6300 yds, incl. a swim lesson)
Bike - 4 (156.95 mi, 2 speed workouts & 2 endurance rides)
Run - 3 (21.97, one 12-miler and two brick runs off the bike)
Strength - 0 (none this week to allow for more swimming)

Today, thank goodness, is a rest day ...


I'll be catching up on my blog reading after my nap. Good luck to everyone running the Boston Marathon today!

24 comments:

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

LOL - I'm out of shape for wearing heels too.

Wendy said...

Travel day most definitely does not equal rest day!

I am working on my heel wearing base training right now ...

Runner Leana said...

Wow, a red eye and then that workout?! I love the race belt and medal for your outfit though!

I was just thinking this morning that it is time to start toughening my feet up for high heeled sandal season...

Vickie said...

Nice weekend. And don't you hate those long travel days? Who says its easier to fly?? I always plan on having one day after a travel day to do nothing because it is so tiring.

Oz Runner said...

wow, I'm worn out just reading about how busy you've been...you deserve a nap (or two)...

DaveP said...

The event was only as long as one of your flights. For that matter, it was louder than your flights as well.

Gotta Run said...

LOVE the theme of the party. Any place that you can wear a race bib is a good place to be :)

Smithposts said...

You and Dave look great! I am jealous of anyone wearing high heels, I fear a twisted or broken ankle. Unfortunately heels have been banned from my closet!!

aron said...

looks like a fun night!!! enjoy your VERY deserved nap!

jen said...

Love the dress with a medal and bib number! What a fun idea. :) Great job on all the workouts.

Petraruns said...

You're still looking fabulous and you and Dave are so sweet together! Great vibes. I cant' BELIEVE your training schedule - well done girl! Enjoy the rest day. XX me

Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

I guess only you knew the event lasted five hours. Did you keep a log of your heart rate during it?
Anyway, that's a great picture of you and Dave. The last time my wife and I had a photo taken together all dressed up at a major social event seems like a really long time ago, so congratulations!

Cliff said...

I will be tired too if I have to wear heels for 5 hr :P

X-Country2 said...

Wearing heels do require some practice. :o) Hope you had a great nap.

Sunshine said...

Great formal wear for the party!!

Did you ever deserve a rest day after all of that...

I keep thinking I should get out some old heels and practice walking... a different kind of getting in shape.

Shannon said...

Heels?!? What are those like? My twelve yr old has higher heels than I do, but I've always been considered a sporty-spice.

BTW, the sleepy photo at the end cracked me up.

The Alien said...

That was a Though weekend! you rock!!!

I Run for Fun said...

Sounds like a great event. The sports theme is a cool idea.

Wow...great workouts!

Susan said...

What an awesome outfit! And I am even more impressed with your ability to do such a hard workout after all that travel. Yowsa!

Rainmaker said...

Holy cow - 156 miles? Dang...very impressive.

RBR said...

Holy crap! Every time I read your blog I can't believe that we are training for the same distance race. I am truly not worthy. Your training is going so great!

p.s. I FINALLY tried the ice bath thing you recommended,(actually just REALLY cold lake water) DANG!! You were so right my legs felt darn near normal the next day!

Jade Lady said...

Heels - what the heck is that? I'm with you! I like the creative black tie event - makes for much more fun!

Welcome back...

Rural Girl said...

Sounds like a solid week of training for you. Nice numbers.

Tammy said...

Heals? What are heals? LOL, yeah it's been that long. Your looking great Shirley, yes catch up on sleep... you need your energy.