Monday, October 20, 2008

Caution: Wicked Fun Ahead!

OK, I'm well again and raring to go!

But my 2008 race schedule last week showed only one more race, Miami Man, a half iron tri on Nov. 9 :-(

Well, I've fixed that. There's still lots more pain fun in store for this year -- MWAHAHAHAHA!

For starters, I need to get back into tri training. It's been nearly a month since I last did any open water swimming, a 50+ mile bike ride or a brick workout. That's no way to gear up for a PR at Miami Man!

So with three weeks still left, why not do the Florida Challenge Tri, a local half iron tri held this weekend as a training race? It's got a much tougher bike course, as in way more hilly, especially for those of us who haven't ridden much hills lately. Take a look-see (elevation profile courtesy of Bigun, who did the race last year; click to enlarge):



But I'm not really as dumb as I may seem. I did ride the course first.

It actually took two tries. On Saturday we got about 21 miles into the ride when Dave broke his bike chain while climbing up a hill. Luckily, he was able to clip out before falling over but without a spare chain or chain tool, he was stuck out in the middle of freaking nowhere. I rode back to the car as fast as I could and by the time I'd returned, my legs were toast so we just drove the rest of the course. We returned on Sunday, however, and rode all but a few of the miles at the beginning of the 58 mile (yes, 58, not 56) bike course on a windy day. Let's just say that I am really glad my travel tri bike has a granny gear ...

So that FL Challenge race, even with a slow 7+ hour finish, will make Miami Man seem relatively easy. Best of all, I'll get a chance to meet up with Sarah, who'll be there doing her first half iron tri!

The day after, Dave and I head to Tucson for a day to get fit for our new road bikes at TriSports -- Yipee! Then we head to San Diego for the rest of the week where I'll be able to cram in a bit more open water swimming and hill training. Before the hammy pull late July, I'd hoped to go sub-5:45 in Miami (finished in 5:46 last year). Not sure I can still do so but a big 1.2 mile swim PR would certainly help and make my day either way.

Then I'm off to run the Route 66 Marathon in Tulsa, OK, the following weekend. It'll be my 50th overall marathon and leave me with only 10 more marathons left in my 50 states quest. Have I mentioned that completing my 50 states quest is a requirement before we can move to Hawaii?

So fasten your seat belts. It's going to be a fun four weeks!

26 comments:

jen said...

Congrats on the Maine Marathon! What a beautiful course. You're so close to #50! Good luck on the upcoming Tri, you'll do great. You've got the experience and the fitness to finish strong even without recent OWS or long rides.

TJ said...

I've heard that bike course is pretty tough.
Good luck on knocking out number 50.

Sarah said...

OMG. So exactly how bad is it ;) If you need your granny gear, then I might need something else, like, uh, two feet?!

Jenny Davidson said...

Delightful!

cindy said...

Woohoo - exciting!! I can't wait to hear all about it :-)

Wow, that's a lot of marathons. You are awesome!

Arland said...

Hey good luck on Tulsa. That was my first ever marathon and I ran it last year. I really liked the race and the size of it but I did not like all the concrete. Almost 18 miles of running on concrete. What made it worse was that I had a stress fracture in my leg that I didn't even know about till mile 6. Wear some good cushioned shoes and watch out for the hills on the last 3 miles!!

Petraruns said...

Talk about setting yourself some goals girlfriend - I'm in awe. Have fun in the tri - just go out to enjoy it all and soak up the atmosphere..

And post some pictures of your new bike!

Stef said...

Call me crazy but this all sounds pretty Wicked! And Fun! At first I was cracking up thinking of using the Florida Challenges as a warm up for Miami Man but I see how it can work.

After the hills of FC you should have a good crack at your goal on the flats of Miami Man. I've never raced a flat course (except for once in Utah in an Oly).

Miami Man intrigues me. I may need to consider it in one of the coming seasons.

ShirleyPerly said...

Yes, I am someone who usually does better when I have another long race 2-3 weeks before a target race. It gives me a chance to rehearse some things that I just can't do as well otherwise and loads of extra confidence in being able to go the distance. Very similar to doing a last long run 2-3 weeks before a marathon.

Duane said...

Looking forward to your race report!

Susan said...

TULSA!!!!! You know I did the half last year. GREAT post-race spread!

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Good idea of yours to do one half-tri as a warm up for the other. I that way you should feel a lot more relaxed when it comes to the more important race. Reminds me of Saturday mornings in Kona. My friend and I would first swim 1.2 early then join the bikers for the bike ride and end up doing at least 50 miles. However, I was always fried when it came to running afterwards and so I rarely ran more than two or three miles. Enjoy the race this weekend!

Rural Girl said...

ok....I want to be you; life sounds good!
I, with not so fond memories, remember my bike chain breaking going up a hill this summer. I wasn't able to unclip and landed on the asphalt. When you haven't fallen down in a while, you forget how hard rocks and asphalt really are!

nylisa said...

I am in awe! You're the only person I know that would ever do a tri as a warm-up to another tri!

*aron* said...

ohhh sounds like a fun 4 weeks!! cant wait to read all about it :)

Smithposts said...

Must complete 50 state marathons before moving?!! Looks like those seatbelts should remain tight through next year. My guess is that you will be on a mission to knock out the rest of the states!

Good luck with the FL Challenge Tri this weekend!

akshaye said...

New bikes.. very nice! Are you sure youre gonna survive living in Hawaii, given how much you like hoping around the lower 48? :)

Safe travels!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Wow. You have all kinds of fun lined up!

Girl on Top said...

I love the requirement for Hawaii! Great idea.

Sounds like you have a crazy, busy schedule!

sharon said...

Shirley I did that race the year before I did Florida ironman. Which is exactly why I chose to do my ironman in Panama City instead of Clermont! Just don't let your competitive side get the better of you and go too hard or.....
or else....

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Good Gawd Woman!! I thought I was nutso :-) Have fun in your travels and races!!!

CewTwo said...

I was a much larger man at one time than I am now. I was riding a mountain bike on mountain trails in Colorado. I know that breaking a chain can be bad (it does teach you to carry certain tools though). But imagine breaking a frame 5 miles back-country from anywhere! Big guy had to go walk, walk!

So, it can always get worse.

I want you know that when my friends try to counsel me on my running obsessions, I just show them the Humble Triathlete blog site!

lizzie lee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kevin said...

You are a madwoman (in a good way of course)

Have a great race this weekend

RoadBunner said...

Wow! 50th marathon! At the rate you're going you'll knock those last 10 off in no time. And you're moving to Hawaii!? So jealous!

Deneil Hopkins said...

whoa...u r sure inspiring lady!