Friday, October 24, 2008

Dr. Humble Triathlete

Many of you know me as a crazy woman who travels about the country training and racing incessantly. Even on my lazy days I can make the Energizer Bunny look like a sloth.

Who in their right mind would put up with me and why?

Well, here's a bit about my better half, or rather better two-thirds. I was nearly flabbergasted when Dave asked to write a post on my blog. He keeps saying he doesn't want to blog! It didn't have a title so I gave it one (he has a PhD in Computer Science) and I added a little of my own too. After all, it is still MY blog. But you'll see that he is at least partially to blame for my madness.

Hi, this is Dave (Shirley’s husband) with a guest post.

As some of you know, I’m very supportive of Shirley and her pursuit of running all of these races all over the country. It’s not because I’m such a nice guy, it’s because I have a vested interest in having her travel around the country with a goal that is gonna take a couple of years.

For those of you who don’t know, I travel a lot for work. Like nearly every week except on weekends, usually. So much so that more than half of Shirley’s trips are at least partially covered by hotel, car, or airline points. Having her travel solves two problems: 1. it helps to use up the points so people don’t ask me for them and 2. it exposes her to some of the “fun” I have when I travel. So, her flying around the country sets up a common bond between us. She can curse TSA rules too, collect her own little shampoo bottles and laugh at my travel jokes. I grew up in the military, so I’ve been all over the country and no real desire to visit most of it again anyway. My idea of a vacation is staying home for a change.

On the triathlon front, in the mid 1980’s I ran quite a few of what are now called the Olympic distances races. I've also done the Wildflower Triathlon long course and still have one of the original Scott aerobars used in the sport, which Shirley once thought was a lawn mower part in the garage. During that time, I got hooked on road bike riding. So, a couple of years ago when I was fitted with some knee braces by the VA, I decided to try riding again. This coincided with Shirley’s desire to try triathlons. So, now road biking is a shared hobby we can do together. As an aside, I also managed to lose 40 lbs.

Ok, there is one restriction I did put on her. I told her that we would not move to Hawaii until she has finished the 50 states quest. Her desire to complete the quest by the time she is 50 (November 2011) coincides with my desire to keep working in my present capability until May 2011. Not sure what I’m going to do after that, but it’s going to involve less travel and allow me to follow a training plan. So, supporting her goal is also supporting mine of continued working or at least postponing me having to come up with “what's next”. The other thing is I’m too cheap to want her flying back and forth from Hawaii to run races all the country. Shirley has made it clear, though, that she's willing and able to knock out the remaining 11 marathons to finish her 50 States quest in a year if I figure out what to do next sooner.

Finally, I’m supportive of her because I love her with all my heart, she means the world to me and I would do anything I could to help make her happy. Well, almost anything.

Thanks for reading …


Now please give him some nice comment love so he might do this again in the future :-)

31 comments:

Runner Leana said...

Fantastic blog post Dave! Congratulations on that 40 lb weight loss! Shirley, you are one lucky lady. I hope to find someone as supportive in my racing endevours as Dave is to yours.

TJ said...

That aerobar should be in a case in the triathlon hall of fame. ;-)
Great post.

Wendy said...

The aero bar bit made me laugh right out loud!

Welcome to the blogosphere Dave!

Calyx Meredith said...

How y'all manage to be so organized and spontaneous, goal driven yet flexible AND fun people amazes me! Clearly you've figured out the balance thing! Thanks for posting. It is totally cool to get the inside scoop - but inquiring minds still want to know - does she really smile that much every marathon?? :D

Jenny Davidson said...

Yes, great post, thanks for filling us in! It is lovely and heartwarming - but my favorite detail, like Wendy, is the lawnmower bit!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

How awesome to have that type of support!

MarathonChris said...

Great post, Dave. Perhaps there is a blogger in you somewhere after all! ;-)

I think the support you give each other is why you are both so successful in what you do!

Road Warrior said...

What a great post! So nice to get your perspective. And I'm with you on the staying home thing. I often joked that I would use my Frequent Flyer miles to fly clients to my house so that I didn't have to travel.

Cliff said...

love that aerobar..old school!

RoadBunner said...

Sounds like you two are quite a great match!

Petraruns said...

How absolutely lovely to read that post - it adds another dimension to what we already know and love about the wonderful ShirleyPerly. What a great goal to achieve together - you two are an inspiration!

Susan said...

What a lovely post! Good to meet you, Dr. Dave!

Stef said...

Ha! This was great, and funny. I second what Calyx said! Nice job balancing everything, being happy and supporting Shirley. No wonder she smiles so much during her marathons.

akshaye said...

Really nice post. Now all we need to do is get Dave his own blog! Just out of curiosity...is he an academic.. and does he work on VR like you?

COTY said...

Nice post ! Great to see the support too. I see you've done the Sunburst. Its my favorite.

Katie said...

Great post, Dad!

akshaye- he worked as an academic years ago, but now works with warfare simulations as a government contractor in a large firm. Or so he tells me.

Formulaic said...

I think that we have a new member to the blogshpere.

Welcome Dave!

Judi said...

Awwww, so sweet! Hey, I am a travel agent, if you guys ever need anything. I book the after hours emergency calls from big corp guys like your hubby.

peter said...

Aww that's nice!

Anonymous said...

The truth is on the mark for the motives for Dave's support. The pointed end of the truth hurts as I, his brother who lives in Alaska, would be the biggest offender of asking for those miles.

In the end it all boils down to the fact that "you must know your resources and how to use them"

Chuck

Bruce said...

You are one tremendously lucky guy! At least I am happy such great couples exist.
Bruce in Kaohsiung

Shannon said...

Awesome!

My husband would say simply, "She's nuts but I love her and all of her nuttiness."

IrishBlue said...

Sounds like you two have a great life full of love and mutual respect. Dr Dave is way cool.

As a computer programmer, I'm impressed with his PhD and I'm wondering if he's one of those shamelessly geeky computer types. It's a quality I've come to appreciate and admire in my industry as many of the computer types I know are brillliant yet very humble. You don't find that in every industry.

Smithposts said...

Awww Dave, what a sweet husband. No wonder Shirley is always smiling.

Dad said...

Troop, Mom and I are very proud of yoou and Shirley for who you are and what you have done in both your professional and personal lives. Keep it up and you two can reach 50 together.

Dad

Marathon Maritza said...

what a wonderful thing to have such great, mutual support!!!

This better not be the last Dave post!!! :)

Jade Lady said...

oh, so great to hear from you Dave! Didn't know u had done Wildflower before! See y'all soon in Austin!

lizzie lee said...

Hey Dr. Dr... You need a blog... When spouses start using the other half blogs, emails, accounts, facebook, etc.. is because they are recognizing there is something there that sounds like fun!!!

That being said, thanks for showing your love to your more than adorable wife. Even though not many men do that, is nice to see those that do, and I happen to have one man that does and for that I am blessed.

Thanks for sharing!!! and move soon to Hawaii... Come on Shirley, hurry up!!!

sincere-lee
lizzie lee

Gotta Run said...

Looks like you have a real keeper Shirley:)

I tell my husband all the time that none of what I do would work or be worth it if it were not for his support.

If the goal is completeing your last marathons in your 50 quest than from what I can tell you will make that happen mucher sooner.

He better start packing his bags.

Fun that you both can share the roads together.

Sunshine said...

Thanks for writing.
You two are a great partnership.
Best wishes.

Sarah said...

It was great to meet you at the race on Saturday! What a great support system you have in each other!!