Sunday, August 31, 2008

Getting Back To It!

Wow, this has been a great week for me. Lots of positive signs that I am ready to get back to doing some serious training. And with 2 marathons and a half iron tri just over two months away, it's about time!

Tuesday - A solid 7-mile bike time trial (TT) performance, my first race since the hamstring pull a month ago and only 2 seconds slower than last time back in May (22.6mph avg). I followed it with a little 15-minute brick run to return the timing chip to the registration tent. Got some strange looks from others but it was my first outdoor run in a month and first brick since my sprint tri back in June -- Much reason to smile!

Wednesday - My first tri club spinning workout (and first spinning workout in ~10 years!) and I must say that there's nothing like new pain to make you forget about old pain. 10 minutes into it, I'd totally forgotten about the bike time trial the day before. Then afterward we ran repeats in 90+ degrees and high humidity which made me forget about the spinning. But I hadn't done any fast running since the 5K on July 4th -- More reason to smile! Then I swam 1350 yards easy in the pool (no pull buoy or fins). Let me clarify, there never used to be such a thing as an easy swim workout after I'd done a hard bike/run workout!

Thursday - An easy-paced 12-miler on my treadmill. Last week was 16 on the treadmill and next week will be 20 outside. I've always set the thermostat to 82-83 degrees to avoid getting too spoiled and, luckily, I won't be in Florida next week ;-)

Friday - 4050 yards swimming!!! Because I screwed up and thought the swim conditioning class started at 8:30am instead of 9:30am. So I decided to swim on my own for an hour and then do the class. Besides freestyle, I did 750 yards of kickboard, 500 yards breaststroke, 200 yards sidestroke and 100 yards backstroke. And during class, I made a startling discovery: breaststroke now seems awkward to me!

Saturday & Sunday - 40-mile and 27-mile bike rides. Dave has been struggling in the heat & humidity so we kept both rides fairly short and easy paced. But there was this one stretch for a couple miles straight into a 15-16 mph headwind today that I couldn't resist ... I hammered off on my own to see how fast I could go (maxed out at 19.2mph). On the way back, I got up over 27 mph -- Sweeeet!

Tomorrow I leave for 3 weeks of training in Kona. I've been asked to test out some athlete-engineered skincare products by Mission. I'll also be catching up on my blog reading.

Have a great Labor Day, Everyone!

26 comments:

Jenny Davidson said...

Safe travels - sounds like a GREAT week of training, my mouth is watering in particular at the notion of the 4k+ swim workout!

Wendy said...

Great week for sure -- but perhaps an even better picture!!

Stef said...

Congratulations on a super week Shirley. Safe travels to Kona, have fun and train hard. You look fabulous in the photo.

Tammy said...

Have fun in Kona and way to go on the training. Great Job

Calyx Meredith said...

Fantastic picture! Sounds like your training is going fabulously - yay for the hammie being all the way healed! Can't wait to hear about that skin care line (is it Mission?) I saw it somewhere recently (Performance Bikes?) and wondered about it. Let us know!

mangotriathlete said...

Woo-hoo! You're back in the game! 4050 yd swim - wow. Just wow. Actually, all your workouts. I could never in all my dreams do your Wednesday session and live to tell the tale. LOL on zooming off during the bike ;-)

TJ said...

750 of kick! You do like pain don't you?!? :)

Have fun in HI.

Kevin said...

That was a serious week of training. Enjoy your time in Kona

MarathonChris said...

Glad you are feeling good being back in the swing of training. Travel safe and enjoy training in Hawaii.

Brent Buckner said...

Solid week - enjoy your trip and training!

RBR said...

You are an animal! Great workout week and you look gorgeous in your photo!

We really have to meet up someday. I think we would hit if off famously! (Ok, that sounded creepy. I am not hitting on you, I swear.)

Have fun in Hawaii! Can't wait for training updates and pictures from Kona!

Petraruns said...

Wow you are just such an inspiration. So it seems getting injured didn't harm your endurance but did allow you to get better at those areas you wanted to improve. Amazing - a win win with an injury! And you look awesome. Have a wonderful time in Kona.

RoadBunner said...

Enjoy your time in Hawaii. Three weeks...I'm so jealous!

Cliff said...

Hey Shirley,

Glad to hear u are getting back into tri..haven't talk to u for a while..i saw on the news that a cat 2 hurricane (Hana?) is heading to Florida..good thing u are heading to Haiwaii to get some decent training :)

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Wow--sounds like you are just plugging along like a champion! Continue to enjoy your training!!

Sarah said...

Have fun in Kona! I'll think of you when I'm riding in FL. Sounds like you got some awesome training in!!

Runner Leana said...

Those are some fantastic workouts you got in! Way to go on the time trial. It definitely sounds like you are ready to get back at it. Have a great time in Kona!

sharon said...

I guess if your hamstring could hold up for the time trial and your sprints the next day you're good to go. That must ease your mind a bit. Nothing like a change of scenery to ramp up the the training.
You know your buds here in Florida just might not be here when you get back after Hanna, and the 2 behind her get done with us!!!

Susan said...

I can't wait to hear how the Mission works out. I've not hard of it!

27 MPH -- HOLY COW! Now that is fast, in my book.

Glad you're back at it. Go Shirley go! You're an inspiration.

jeanne said...

holy smokes, no kidding you ARE BACK! a week like that would kill a lesser mortal!

have fun in kona!

oh, and i just got the same products from mission. we'll have to compare notes!

Brittany M. said...

WOW--have an awesome time in Kona training!! AND what an awesome grouping of workouts, and to see that you really haven't had major impact from your injury is awesome--totally shows you capitalized on what you could do when you were hurt, and it paid off! Well done!

peter said...

It's always good to come fully back from an injury.

Gotta Run said...

Now that is some serious training adn events ahead of you.

Love the picture!!!

Product tester... how cool os that.

I am training for MMTR (54 mile trail ultra) on Nov.1st. It is a nasty, tuff race and this year that mountian is mine :)

CewTwo said...

What a week! I am no way near as devoted as you are (and a lot of my friends think I am mental now).

Way to go!

And... We are all pretty sure that training in Kona is such a bad thing!

:-)

Smithposts said...

Hope you are having a great time in Kona, yea and the training too! Impressive week and very inspiring.

carmen marc valvo swimwear said...

Wow,that was a great week for you. You enjoy that time very much,really your journey was enjoyful.