Friday, August 15, 2008

On to Better Things!

OK, now that my head has been cleared, I can go on to talk about other much more positive things that have happened this past week:

- Swam in the FAST lane with the tri club group on Monday! I was in the intermediate lane to begin with but some other guys not in the tri group came to swim and we went from 3 lanes to 2. Coach put two of us from the intermediate lane into the fast lane and one in the slow lane. It was the first time I'd also ever swam with 5 people in a lane. But about halfway through a set I noticed there was only 4 of us. The other woman from the intermediate lane has switched to the slow lane. I stayed, though I was the slowest of the 4 by far. Stubborn :-)

- Ran 12 miles easy on the treadmill on Wednesday. The longest previous run since the hamstring pull nearly a month ago had been only 5 miles so a big step up. But endurance was not really an issue, just whether the hammy would hold up (it did!). Next week I'll do 16 and hopefully be back into marathoning mode by the end of this month, which is good because I am still planning to run the Clarence Demar Marathon in New Hampshire end of September and the Portland Marathon in Maine a week later.

- Worked 5 hours both on Wednesday & Thursday down at Track Shack helping out with packet pick-up for the first race of the season this weekend (our main running season goes from Aug-Apr). Great to see a lot folks I haven't seen since the last race on 4th of July. I'll also be working race registration on Sunday morning. While the hammy seems to be fine for long easy-paced runs, it does NOT yet feel ready to do any fast running so I'm putting a stop to any subversive thoughts ;-)

- This morning I discovered a swim conditioning class at the YMCA. I wasn't sure what that exactly meant but it turns out to be another lap swimming workout but with more variety of strokes used (free, breast, side, back). Good! The instructor also turned out to be someone I had known from before (I'd wanted her to take over my aerobic classes a couple years back when I began traveling a lot). Been a long time since I did side or back stroke, though (Oh my, definitely need work!). The best part was the water temp. Thanks to some cloudy days and rain this week, the pool was now down to only around 80 degrees -- HEAVEN!!!

- And I haven't yet made a final decision about the road bike. I'm still waiting to hear back on the price (it's a custom bike with a custom paint job so no prices posted) and about any discounts. One thing for sure: I won't be getting the bike as shown, which with Campy components would retail for about $8800 -- YIKES!

26 comments:

Katie said...

When I read the first paragraph, I thought you were about to say that you had adopted a cat. That would be weird in so many ways.

RBR said...

Yay for hammy healing!

I bow to the goddess of the treadmill. 12 miles?! How did you do it. I did 5 miles in Washington and I thought I would die! First of heat exhaustion (no air conditioning) and second of boredom!

Do you have a treadmill at home? I am thinking about getting one for winter running because of the short days. I don't mind running in the rain, but I am afraid of running in the dark alone.

I used the YMCA treadmills last winter which was ok, but the old guys always have the news on. BOR-ING!

I can't seem to get beyond 6 miles on the treadmill and that is pretty painfully boring.

Rambling, I will stop.

Tammy said...

Love the picture of the kitty :D. Great to hear you hammy is getting better, way to go, I knew you'd bounce back. I was feeling a bit under the weather, but the last day or so I've been feeling a bit better. I haven't ran on a treadmill in a while, wonder what that would be like, I should try it for some interval training and on stormy days. When I go to the gym I see all the other equipment and I go crazy :D and never just run on the treadmill.

ShirleyPerly said...

I should clarify that the cats in the last two posts are NOT mine. They just seemed to fit the emotions I was feeling (sour puss and happy cat).

RBR: I agree, very boring to run at the gym watching whatever is on TV there. So I usually run on my treadmill at home and watch a fun action movie or two to keep me going.

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Running on a treadmill watching Jackie Chan is something I have yet to do. I am glad you are having more opportunities to learn things about swimming. At the Olympics you have probably seen how they do it. Bikes certainly get expensive if you want the top of the line for all the parts.

Road Warrior said...

I'm so glad that you were able to get in 12 miles on the treadmill. I've been thinking about you and hoping that your hamstring is healed enough for you to get back on the road. Congrats!

mangotriathlete said...

Woo-hoo for the hammy holding up so well for the 12 miles. I'm not doing long runs now, but I love it to clock speedwork. 2 marathons in 2 weeks? I'm in awe at your strength and recovery. And at your swim. 4 in a lane *and* with the fast group :-) Hope you get news on the bike soon - near gear is awesome.

Susan said...

$8800!!!! That's as much as a used car! :(

12 miles - yay! I assume you're a Marathon Maniac by now, right?

Congrats, Miss Fast Lane!

BreeWee said...

THE FAST lane! AWESOME... glad the leg is on the upswing too!

Calyx Meredith said...

Fast lane, gorgeous new (potential) bike, burglars, recovered hammy - I've missed so much. So glad to hear you're healed and back in form. Yay for going from 5 back to 12 with 16 in your sights, no trouble!

Kevin said...

Yowza 8800 is some serious cash for a bike. Glad to hear your hammy is doing better. I could never do that many on the dreadmill. Way to go

Brent Buckner said...

Good news on the hamstring!

Cliff said...

Glad to hear about the hamstring...and the swim is good news :)

ShirleyPerly said...

Thanks everyone! I should note that I really wasn't any faster swimming than last week but mentally I was tougher than I'd ever been before just to stay in the fast lane. Before I would have begged the coach to let me go to the slow lane and particularly if the other girl had switched too.

Runner Leana said...

Yay for swimming in the FAST lane! Sounds like your pool work is going really well. Also congrats on the 12 miler on the treadmill! I can't even fathom 3 miles on the TM, so kudos to you. Glad to hear the hammy is cooperating!

CewTwo said...

Great! Good for the hamstring recovery!

My secret to the treadmill? I should have taken a picture. A TV tray at the side. On it water, gatorade, Carb Boom, & Cliff Bar (for half-way).

On the 50" TV? 1st - The Goonies! 2nd - The Incredibles!

Me? Patience and intestinal fortitude!

Gotta Run said...

Sound like you are well on your way again.

Custom paint..new bike... how exciting!!!

KodaFit said...

You know... With the response you've gotten on the bike, they should really give you a top of the line model to test and review...

skoshi said...

Wow--I am really impressed with your swimming--and now a swim conditioning class? VERY awesome!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

The roadie is a beauty and I say "Hell Yeah!" I love my Guru!!! (too bad I still have to pedal it though) It doesn't have a motor :-(

Smithposts said...

12 miles on the treadmill, I am humbled! So glad your hammy is holding up and you are returning to distance training. Last week certainly sounds like it was a good one.

Still looking for confirmation about the bike purchase, hope they come back with a good deal!

i am Susan said...

Thanks for coming to my blog. I got the additional pieces required to put my profile design water bottle on my bike, so now it's just a matter of putting it on. It might actually just save me as it is going to be a hot race on Sunday.

I too spend a lot of time on the treadmill at the gym. With the kids it's the only time I get to workout. I can't take a 6 and 7 year old on a run with me outside. Oh well...you do what you gotta do.

Steve Stenzel said...

12 miles on a treadmill! Gross!! But I'm glad the hammy held up!!

And go get that bike....

;)

sharon said...

Good news on the hamstring! I know I'm 2 posts behind, (been working lots of overtime) but I apprecited your "swim history" I know from my own experience and lack of swim speed you are right on. I just need to get motivated enough to A)find a coach and B)get up early enough to join the local masters swim group.

Jade Lady said...

Great mileage on the treadmill given your injury. I hope it's ready to go come end of Sep.

Sounds like you found a good conditioning class for swimming!

Marathon Me said...

Can't wait to get your take on the Clarence Demar marathon.