Friday, August 22, 2008

Fay, Fay, Go Away


Earlier in the week, you caused my Monday night swim group workout to be canceled, 3 hours of frantic mowing and tree trimming (SOP before the first major storm of the season), and concerns about power outages/surges. Then you decided to skirt south of us but slow down, turn back towards us and dump 8-10 inches rain in the past 24 hours. I've had to drain my overflowing backyard pool twice. The YMCA pool is closed (WAAH!). And roads are a mess with tree pieces strewn about from strong winds and drains/sewers struggling to keep up with all the water.

GO AWAY!!!

But, she continues to take her sweet time ...

And until Fay moves her fat fanny out of Central Florida, outdoor workouts are limited. At least I managed to get in one good swim workout on Tuesday before they closed the pool (I was the only crazy person there). Wednesday's 16-miler on the treadmill went well. Thursday was a rest day. Friday (today) will probably be all indoor workouts and we'll just have to see what pans out for the weekend.

Luckily, though, we're not having to paddle a canoe to get to our mail box or deal with gators swimming in the streets. Some areas just an hour east of us are badly flooded.

No, we're just inconvenienced. Whoops, just had a big power flicker and heard a transformer blow!

So I'm going to make the rest of this quick. Thank you to all who replied to my road bike post. YES, I have decided to get one too. But I'm going with yellow instead of the blue near the stem since I often wear yellow and, of course, want to match my bike (click for a closer look).



We'll get fitted end of October and early next year, the bike stork should be making a big delivery. A happy husband, more options for cycling, better bike handling skills and probably hopefully faster bike splits too ... Puuurrriceless.

19 comments:

mangotriathlete said...

I was just listening to the news while catching up on blogs this morning, heard about Fay, and was thinking of you. The pictures of the rain, I have no idea how you deal with that. It looks so scary. Score on the bike! So pretty. I can't wait to hear more about it.

Calyx Meredith said...

Oh what a drag to be stuck directly under Fay! Tell her to take her rain on up to Georgia to help replenish the reserves after last year's drought. As for your new bike: PURTY!

RBR said...

I saw that she was supposed to miss you, but I didn't know the be-otch came back to rain on your training parade!

I hope you guys are safe from any real damage and, again, your ability to persevere and get the long runs done on the treadmill amazes me. I have to remember this when I am bitching about the treadmill this winter!

YAY!!! The bike! I am sooooo excited you are getting the bike.

1. Because you, in your awesomeness deserve it.

2. You take awesome pictures of your races and I will get to see it and it is sooooo pretty!

Hang in there and try to keep dry!

Wendy said...

Yes, Fay -- go away!

(Sweet bike!)

Jade Lady said...

Hope Fay doesn't cause too much damage in Orlando - take care.

Ooh....a GURU!!!!!! nice!

Kevin said...

If you dont mind, could you send her our way. We could use that rain here. I saw a report this morning that someone near cape canaveral had a manatee in their yard

Yay on the new bike

Stef said...

Wow Fay is wreacking some havoc down there. Glad you escaped the worst of it.

Drooling over that bike I must say. So happy for you! Really it is the most gorgeous bike I've ever seen! Paint job is exquisite and I LOVE the yellow.

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

YAY for the GURU!!

Brent Buckner said...

Nice bike!

Yeah, the 'gator story is spooky.

Smithposts said...

Send Fay "up" our way! We haven't seen rain in weeks!

Kudos to you for the 16 mile treadmill run, that is a real test of spirit! Hope your weekend workouts also go well.

Finally, yeah for the new bike. I am sure the "gestation" period will feel long but what a great bundle of joy for 2009.

Tammy said...

You poor folks down in Florida, I hope Fay goes away soon. What a bummer. Wow a 14 mile on a tredmill wow way to go. Congrats on that great bike. Im so happy for you, see I told you it's perfect for you. Make sure you take lots of pics.

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

A typhoon passed by us a couple of days ago, but also missed us, so apart from some strong winds and a few heavy showers, we have been fine. In fact the weather has been pretty good all summer, and not as hot as originally expected.
I look forward to running the Taroko marathon in early November, although I am a little too tired to train at the moment with my swim practices and work. When you finish running all 50 States, maybe you aim to run in 50 different countries around the world!

TJ said...

Saaaweeet lookin bike.
Fay is dumping rain on us right now. Hope you're able to get back outdoors soon.

Susan said...

Stay safe, Miss Gorgeous Bike!

lizzie lee said...

Shirley, I didn't know the situation was that bad.

16-miler in a treadmill, what a perseverance. What did it go through your mind? The longest I've done in a treadmill is 12, and I know how challenging it is.

take care....
keep running

skoshi said...

So, sorry about Fay, but it sounds like you're making the best of it.
That bike looks swe-e-et! I've been thinking/wanting a new bike, but unfortunately, not in the cards right now. I can imagine how fun a ride it will be...
:)

Kathy said...

Yay! I'm so glad you got the bike! I've been checking back to find out. She's soooo purdy!

I hope Fay is treating you well. My mom, who lives down south of you, got pounded by rain.They flooded, and many people were canoeing to their mailboxes. It seems the weather has it in for Florida lately! Stay dry!

P.S 16 miles on a treadmill? Now, that is impressive!

peter said...

I hope Fay leaves the area soon and you get back to training. 16 miles on a treadmill, wow.

Runner Leana said...

Yay for the new bike!