Friday, July 04, 2008

Watermelon 5K

My second 5K is now history. I finished in 22:19 (7:11 pace) but the best part: no injuries!

With the Missoula Marathon next weekend, that was my biggest concern. Three years ago I ran my first 5K and my right Achilles tendon hurt like a motha afterwards. I also went out way too fast on a hot August morning and felt so bad during the second half that I never wanted to run another one ...

But time heals all wounds and it was time to try again. This was just a fun run, however, no timing chips. I can do this!

When Dave and I got there, we dropped off our donations for care packages being sent to the 3rd Battalion Combat Team, 4th Infantry-Division. Their chaplain is an Orlando native and they're currently in their 6th month serving in Iraq. Always a great feeling to do something for the troops!

Then I met up with some friends who were also doing the race (photo below L to R: me, RunningGeezer262, Sheri & Bob). We ran about a mile or so to warm up but it didn't take much to break a sweat. Yep, nothing like a hot & humid FL morning to get the ol' sweat glands working overtime. In fact, the reason the race has no timing chips is to discourage people from over-exerting themselves in the heat.



After the warm-up, we lined up in back of the 7-minute pace sign, which wasn't too far back, maybe 30-50 feet (there was no banner overhead or line/mat across the road, just markers on the side of the road which I couldn't see well being in the middle). Initially, I was thinking I'd shoot to finish in 24 minutes but decided 23 minutes (7:23 pace) would probably be OK as long as I didn't start out too fast. The horn goes off and I started my watch right away.

Within a hundred yards of the start we made a hard right turn and I remembered what RunningGeezer262 told me just before the race about getting caught in a bottleneck going on the inside of the turn. Oops, I should have gone wider!

Along the next straightaway, though, I pass him and we make another right turn soon. The crowd continues to thin out and it becomes easier to run without jockeying so much for position on the turns. At the first mile marker, my watch says 7:12. Hmm, didn't feel that fast!

The second mile seems to have even more turns and I'm sure that I've slowed down some but my watch says I ran it in 7:09 -- No way!

Soon afterwards, I pass a young woman who was breathing louder than I've ever heard anyone breathe. She passed me back as we headed down a little slope but I caught her again on the turnaround as we headed back up and no longer heard her (hopefully, she didn't keel over and die!). On the other side, I see RunningGeezer262 less than minute back. He says 'hi' and I think I just managed a grunt.



The last half mile seemed to stretch on for much longer but we finally got to the last turn at mile 3 and began our sprint to the finish. Then I see a guy right in front of me who's stopped in the middle of the course. Uh-oh!!

Yes, he barfs big-time just as I go around him but, fortunately, nothing gets on me. I continue on to cross the finish line in 22:19 (last 1.1 miles at a 7:14.5 pace). A good effort!

I don't remember the exact race time of my first 5K (so long ago that I can't find the results online, it seems) but know it was 21:50-something. Nevertheless, I'm much happier with how I ran this race. I think with some speedwork, a straighter course and more 5K experience I can probably get below 22 again without it hurting too bad. We shall see!

Thanks Dave for taking the photos!!

24 comments:

Kevin said...

Congrats on a speedy 5K. Hope you had a happy 4th

MizFit said...

looks like you had a great 4th.

hope the rest of your weekend is a funrelaxinggood.

Miz.

Wendy said...

w00t!!

Maddy said...

I wish I would have seen you there! It was a hot, but so much fun!!!

You ran a great race! Congrats on running your second 5K

Jim said...

Nice group photo! We would have made a good relay team. You had great splits. I lost you after the second turn. I agree that a straighter course would have dropped your time into the 21's. It was fun!

ShirleyPerly said...

Thanks everyone!

I'm amazed that I'm not sore at all from the 5K yesterday. In fact, I am already looking forward to my next 5K. Gosh, did I really say that?!

Tammy said...

Way to go!!!! Keep up those speedy runs.

Susan said...

GREAT photos! :)

That sounds like a great experience (minus the barfing guy).

Happy 4th!

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice job! Way to beat your goal times!

And too bad you had to pass a barfer on the way to the finish....

jeanne said...

whoa, you are FAST! nice work!

Stef said...

You look like you were having a blast!

GREAT JOB on your second 10k!

Glad no barf got on you.

Stef said...

Oops, I meant 5k. . . .

Rural Girl said...

Great job, Shirley. Speed queen!

Sunshine said...

Everybody in the pictures looks like they are having fun!!

Dirty Dancing Through LIFE said...

YEAH! Sounds like a great race. I can't wait to see my 5K times dwindle down. I miss those 7min/miles from high school but I know I need to be patient. I tagged you for a Meme over at http://gottagrubnrun.blogspot.com by the way. You are such an open book it will be interesting to read some good gossip on ya. LOL

p.s. how do you always look so happy in your photos during races? I always have this look of extreme pain... even when I'm just mildly feeling it. LOL

IrishBlue said...

Wow, that's a fantastic time Shirley. Way to go! I would have been with barfing guy myself.

sharon said...

Hey speedy
congratulations. Not bad for an old woman! hee hee.
I can only say that cause I'm the same age.

akshaye said...

Nice - congratulations on the fast and injury free finish! Hope you had a great 4th!

Brent Buckner said...

Nice speed...
and great to be injury-free!

Jade Lady said...

great race - and...did u have watermelon afterwards? Glad u weren't closer to that one po' fella!

Tri to Be Funny said...

GREAT EFFORT!! Yes, you ARE fast girlfriend!

peter said...

Fast first 5K in awhile! Nice even splits too. Congrats.

Iron Eric said...

What a fun looking 5K. Ahhhh...

CewTwo said...

Great Job! Always seeking to improve yourself. You are an idol to me!

I just wish I had your ability! But don't worry! I'm working at it...

Charlie