Tuesday, July 29, 2008

What Color is Your Parachute?

Mine was actually black but it didn't matter. Swimming 200 yards with that thing on never felt so hard.

Then came 200 yards kicking with fins on one side, which was considerably easier but no arms were to be used except to take a breath and then switch sides. Felt a little twinge in my hamstring but nothing major.

Felt something else that was really weird disturbing, though ... a very warm stream of water hitting my arm as I was kicking and looking down so I couldn't see where it was coming from. I feared the worst. WTF, is someone peeing on me? Turns out they'd activated the fountain-like cooling system because the pool was too warm (I'd guess above 85 degrees). When it kicks on, there is warmer water in the pipes that gets ejected into the sides of the pool. Great, now it was probably a degree or two warmer near me.

After that, 200 yards with a belt that had two protrusions at the hip. Me: Hey, Coach, this thing is interfering with how I finish my stroke. Coach: It's telling you that you need more hip rotation. Doh!

Another 2x200 yards with no toys working on high elbow catch and putting it all together. Then finally 200 yards easy. Ahh ...

But wait, there was more to come:

4x50 yds in 0:55 with 5 sec rest - Fast for me!

2x75 yds in 1:15 with 5 sec rest - Ridiculous, I got no rest at all!

4x25 yds all-out sprint with 20 seconds rest - I made it without puking!!

Then 200 yards cool down with a pull buoy plus 600 yards warm-up for a total of 2450 yards.

Oh, and all the slower swimmers from last week were not there this week so I was back in the slow lane. But, I was not the slowest person in that lane (there were two of us). Hopefully, the other new guy won't get scared off. Cuz I'm liking these group swim workouts. Reminds me of bootcamp classes I used to take and teach.

19 comments:

MarathonChris said...

That sounds like a tough workout - but a good challenge!

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

From reading your accounts of swimming (including the very informative account of the KPN workshop last year), I feel that I am just a complete beginner. The parachute interests me, although since my trunks are completely ruined now by the chlorine, they probably serve as a cheaper alternative. I think what I learned most from your blog today is that I need to do more speedwork and get my heart rate up a bit. More 25 meter sprints where I try to push it. Other wise I am moving like an old dinosaur. One message I have for you - train safe! You have had more than your fair share of bike spills, falls when running, etc. No point in getting yourself all bust up.

RBR said...

Holy Beejeezus! Not only did you swim over 2400 yards of drills, they made you drag a parachute for part of it?!

Kudos for not puking. I can't say that I would have been as lucky.

skoshi said...

I am ALWAYS the slowest swimmer.

Sounds like a great and difficult workout! Never heard of using a parachute...Wow. I'm impressed.

Susan said...

TOUGH! Way to go, Shirley!

That stream of warm water would have made me flip out.

Tammy said...

Wow, sounds like you had a great work out, nothing like a challenge with swimming you'll be swimming much quicker when your done with this program. Also, good thing no one was peeing on ya LOL but the warm water must have made it that much tougher. Great Job Keep up the great work

Brittany M. said...

A parachute in the water?? That's the first I've heard of that. I knew runners use it, so it makes sense, but good grief, sounds like a torture session you had. When I first read about the warm stream of water, before you said what it was, I feared the same thing you did...good grief!

ShirleyPerly said...

Yeah, that parachute was a new level of torture in the pool. But even with that and the speed work, I am trying avoid overdoing things. Got to the pool early to do an extra 400 yards of warm-up before the workout began (most folks did only 200 yards) and not everyone got to use a pull buoy to cool down with. Coach yelled at me to come back and use one :-)

Stef said...

Sounds like an AWESOME workout! Coach had me wear a cotton t-shirt once to create extra drag but a parachute?!

I'm very impressed. Your swimming will come along nicely with these classes.

And glad noone was peeing on you. How GROSS would that have been! :-)

Kevin said...

Thats interesting.

I remember in HS, our coach had us swim with a bungee attached to the wall, that was always a great workout.

Cliff said...

I don't think i need a parachute to slow me down. I can do that all by myself :P

BreeWee said...

Holy cow, that is a brutal workout! WHOA, totally impressed and totally curious, I want to try that thing...

mangotriathlete said...

I'm a horribly extremely slow swimmer! Like Cliff, I don't need a parachute to do that, lol. But its about keeping at it, right? Sounds like an amazing workout for you, wow 2400 of drills? I could never last that long.
Dumb question from a new triathlete here (runner for 9 years though)... how do you keep your body positioned in the swim? I mean, pretty much straight throughout, or do you roll a bit with each stroke side to side?

jen said...

Wow, I've never heard of that tool but I bet it's an amazing workout! I've tried the hip-protrusion thing before though. Funny all the tools swimmers use. It does make it more interesting though. Great job on your swimming, you're awesome. :)

peter said...

Ah swimming. The part of any Tri race that could put you in serious trouble. The couple of times I was floundering around (underwater) in rapids recently I said-uh-uh. Sounds like you're just going to crush the next swim part of your race though!

IrishBlue said...

This reminds me of when I use to swim at Pearl Harbor while the Navy Seals were training in the pool. They would have a guy hanging on to each leg. That's a whole lot of crazy right there.

Is someone peeing on me...lol.

Good job lady!

Jade Lady said...

Who comes up with such ideas? Gees..I can't imagine a parachute dragging behind me. I'd be swimming backwards!

As for warm streams of water...thank goodness it wasn't what u thought it was. I know it's acceptable in a lake, but a pool is a no-no!

What does 4x50 yards in :55 mean? Does that mean you did 50 yards in 55 seconds and did this 4 times?

jeanne said...

holy crap i almost puked just READING that!!! you're amazing!

Petraruns said...

Talk about what doesn't kill you makes you stronger honey - wowee! well done! I'm sure it helped you but it sounds tough! well done for rising to the occasion and for sharing!