Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Confidence

Okay, ENOUGH. I've been a bit too content doing marathons and half iron tris. I've been avoiding the short/hard/fast stuff.

Why? Because I love going for hours at an easy-to-moderate pace. Going hard-to-puke fast, uh, not so much. I've also wanted to focus on my swimming more and tend to get injured if I push really hard. And my bike crash back in February did not help. Excuses, excuses, excuses ...

But while in Hawaii last month, I had the opportunity to go "fast" without it hurting too much. Actually, it was a total surprise. I ran with a group for the first time in 3 years and we did some speed and hill work for about 30-45 minutes. Then at the end, the coach had us run a one mile time trial down a gentle grade. I was totally shocked to finish first in 6:15.

Yowza!!

Now I'm sure if it had been a flat course I wouldn't have thought it'd be as easy. And probably if we hadn't done the other stuff before, I wouldn't have thought that I had an advantage, being the endurance person I am. But both gave me a huge mental boost and I gave it my all.

Somehow I need to bottle up that confidence and drink some before I stop myself anymore.

As a start, I'm getting back to doing other things that have given me confidence in the past: push-ups, pull-ups and dips. Though never easy for me, these were pretty regular staples when I was training in the martial arts and teaching fitness classes 3-5 years ago and they made me feel like I could do anything. Right now, of course, I can barely lift my arms but I do feel better about myself having resumed doing them. (Thank you Ellie, Kevin and MizFit for motivating me!)

And while I'm at it, I've signed up to run my second-ever 5K on 4th of July. With 3,000 people, it'll be very crowded but, heck, it's not even timed so who cares. I'm just going to put myself out there and see what happens.

25 comments:

Calyx Meredith said...

You are taking on some really interesting challenges! Way to go! It's fascinating to see how many options to grow there are in this sport - and how often the main obstacle is that we're standing in our own way. Congrats on all the work your doing!

Wendy said...

That's terrific Shirley!!

Stef said...

This sounds great Shirley! 6:15 is smokin' fast! Excited to follow along with you for these new challenges.

MizFit said...

Im honored if I motivated YOU as *you* motivate the masses....

Miz.

TJ said...

Great run time shirley!
Enjoy your run on the 4th!

Tammy said...

It's great that you can push yourself. I took martial arts too, dips,push ups and sit ups were the thing. not 50 or 100 morelike 200 to 300 sit ups and a tons of push ups and dips and runs hee hee. Boy, I miss it believe it or not. (The no pain no gain attitude) I hope that I can get eventually get back to that. This anemia is putting a huge damper on my training, i'm trying desperately to bring my levels up, Your totally awesome on pushing yourself and you inspire me. Way to go keep up the great work.

Jim said...

3,000 runners plus 1, I'll try to be right behind you at the 5K.

You always seem to accomplish your objective, so why should this new direction be any different. You'll do great!

jeanne said...

oh i love this post. 6:15??!?! is that your pace or the time you woke up???!

you've inspired me. I couldn't even run 5 miles this morning. I just plain gave up.

So thanks for the kick.

akshaye said...

Whoa.. 6.15! You are faast!

Smithposts said...

6:15 is some confidence builder... and a great motivator too! You are going to smoke the 5k on the 4th!

Coach Tammy said...

ha! this is the first time I've ever heard anyone consider themselves a slacker for doing HIMs vs. sprints. But I have to admit, you've got a point, and I resemble that comment.

jen said...

I'm like you Shirley, I like the long, slower stuff. Good for you for taking on the challenge! And congrats on that blazing time trial!

Susan said...

I can't wait to hear about how your 5K goes!!

Jade Lady said...

Man...6:15 is out of this world! U were fast as lightening!

Somethin's a twitchin' fast down there!

Good luck on your 2nd 5K!

Sarah said...

Nice! I am so afraid of speed, but maybe one of these days ;). Can't wait to hear about it!

ShirleyPerly said...

Thanks Everyone!

I think all the really fast people probably just didn't show up to that group run but being the fastest one there did really change my perspective about myself. I might still have some PRs left in me yet ... we'll see!

RoadBunner said...

6:15 is definitely FAST! I'm from HI originally so it's cool to hear about your adventures.

Kevin said...

Thats a smokin fast mile.

good luck on the 5K

PLANET3RRY said...

Kick some ass on the course!

Cliff said...

Shirley,

Better bring a stick with you when doing the 5 k. With that kind of speed, you need to move ppl from getting in your way :P.

I don't enjoy going too fast as well. I think for me, part of the fear is that I can't hang on to the pain (I quit and walk before the finish line).

MizFit said...

somewhere in my organized (not) email I have YOUR email addy but figured Id just leave you a comment.
Im starting a new thing called Test Drive Tuesdays and, sporadically, when I have gear to test (sent to me by companies) Ill also have stuff to give away (running shorts/tees/bras etc).

just a heads up on the freebies.

Miz.

ShirleyPerly said...

Cliff - Indeed, that coach did mention that for most people running speed is limited by the ability to hold onto the pain rather than anything physiological (VO2, % fast twitch muscles, etc). That 5K is going to seem like a very long ways compared to the 1-mile ...

peter said...

A 6:15 mile after a workout. Now that's fast! I can't wait to see what you do the 5K in. Good luck!

Brittany M. said...

Hope you had an awesome race today. 6:15 is blazing fast! Happy 4th of July!

Ellie Hamilton said...

Go, Shirley!! If *I* can motivate *you,* then that motivates *me!* Thanks for helping me keep going!