Sunday, September 07, 2008

Surf's Up!

Big waves here in Kona this week. And I've been riding on one in my training too!

S 11,370 yds (6)
B 106.3 mi (3)
R 46.5 mi (5)
Other 0:45 (1)

Coming back from a hammy injury, my strategy for getting through the 3 remaining big races this year is to increase my run volume (quick) to finish them comfortably and have fun. I'm not going to worry too much about speed except in swimming. And in case anyone may have noticed, yes, I did drop one late October marathon that I had on my 2008 race schedule previously. I'd not officially signed up for it yet anyway and it just seemed unnecessarily ridiculously risky (as opposed to just the later two).

So now I'm training for "only" two marathons a week apart (end of Sept in NH and early Oct in ME) and Miami Man, a half iron tri in early November. Things went well this week. I won't bore you with a recap of my 15(!) workouts but here are a few highlights:

  • Double Swim Workouts (Fri & Sun) - AM ocean, PM pool. The high surf has made the ocean murky and rough so swim fins are a must for me (and for many others too from what I've seen). On Friday, I swam back and forth past some closer-to-shore buoys on my own and saw a handful of fish and one small turtle, who seemed to be swimming with ease below me (Hey, no fair!). Today I did a 3/4 mile ocean swim as part of a Peaman event (more on that below) and saw nothing but other swimmers :-( The afternoon pool swims have been useful for "resetting" my swim form after getting tossed around in the ocean and the extra yardage also helps get rid of any lingering sand particles in my swimsuit, belly button, ears and elsewhere. Hopefully the ocean will be calmer next week!

  • Riding Hills & in Headwinds (Thu) - Or, Have I Lost My Mind? For my first ride here, I planned to do an easy 20-30 mile bike ride followed by an easy 3 mile transition run but ended up riding 50 and running 6! Why? I could blame my bike but, really, it was I who acted like a spoiled child that didn't want to get off an amusement park ride. 3 hours and 20 minutes, ~2500 ft of climbing and ~20 miles of strong headwinds later, I rolled back home with an average speed of 15mph (but not so bad when you know you had to pedal hard to go even 16mph downhill against the wind!). Then I headed out for my run and wouldn't you know it, I just settled into a good running rhythm after a mile and a half or so. No way was I turning around, not with big waves and surfers to ogle at every beach I ran past. So I continued on and made it a 6-miler (avg pace 10:40). I should have been much more conscientious about nutrition, though. I consumed only ~400 calories during the nearly 4.5 hour workout -- Not good!

  • Running in Heat & Humidity (Wed & Sat) - HA! OK, please don't hate me, esp. those of you back home in FL. Humidity here is only 50-60% here so the feel-like temps have ranged from 80 to 85 degs -- Balmy! Early morning runs are quite pleasant and I did my first-in-a-while outdoor long run, 9.5 miles, on Wednesday as a test (9:46 pace). No problems so I went for the big Kahuna (20-miler) on Saturday. I decided to run it super slow (avg pace 11:26), but still maintain my usual high 180-190 stride rate to avoid slogging and so my legs would hopefully not notice that I was doubling my running mileage this week. Shhh, don't tell them ;-) Felt great at the end so I picked up the pace and ran miles 19 & 20 close to marathon race pace (9:30), then I added one more cool-down mile so I could be on my feet for a total 4 hours. I think time on feet and getting to race day without any injuries will be key for me in the two week-apart marathons. 20-30 degree cooler weather should help me run faster once I get there.

  • Peaman (Sun) - These are fun, free biathlon (swim-run) events held throughout the year in Kona. And being on Sundays, they nearly always happen the day after a long run for me. Today's event was a 3/4 mile swim followed by a 4-mile run. Due to the rough ocean conditions, they put out an extra buoy for those who only wanted to swim 1/3 mile. But I'm not sure anyone did. I just followed the crowd who all seemed to go the longer distance. Got done with the swim in ~26 minutes (1:58/100yd), about 4 minutes faster than last year, which was also done with fins but without much rockin' and rollin'. I ran the 4-miler in about 33 minutes (8:15 pace), about the same as last year, I think (I didn't pay much attention to my watch last year so this is a guess), but with MUCH less post long run soreness than before. Woo hoo!

    So, as you can see, I've been very lazy. Left on my own, I'm just sitting around most of the time stuffing my face with pupus and papayas and beginning to assume the shape of a coconut. Tomorrow I'll sit on my lanai and watch some surfers while deciding what to do the rest of the time I'm here.

    No, seriously, tomorrow is a REST day!!!

    PS - HUGE CONGRATS to my bud Rural Girl on her most excellent sub-12 performance at Ironman Wisconsin!
  • 20 comments:

    Calyx Meredith said...

    Shirley - what amazing training numbers!! You are such an inspiration to me.

    Runner Leana said...

    Sounds like some amazing workouts! Glad you are enjoying things there.

    TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

    Wow--double swim workouts!!! You've found your new passion!!

    Petraruns said...

    Girlfriend you are working out there in Kona! Well done on your results - it's all paying off for you!

    KodaFit said...

    Just so you know, I am insanely jealous!!

    Quick question though... how do you measure your stride frequency - or is it just a matter of counting against a stop watch?

    CewTwo said...

    Lazy? 15 workouts since your last blog and a Peaman after your weekend long run.

    No! Compared to that I am lazy. (No, I really do not think that I am lazy, either).

    How do you do it?

    akshaye said...

    Lazy... And 15 workouts?! Yeah.. right! Didnt know bout the hammy but hope the healing was great.

    Gotta Run said...

    Now that is a week we would all love to have right where you are having it!!!! So jealous!!

    Thanks so much for the dead on target comments you left on my recent post. How true...how true!! I hear you girl. this weekends long run is sure to be different.

    Stef said...

    Glad to hear things are going so well. And totally not surprised! What a great swim in choppy water -- and then a second swim that day -- yeah I bow down to you. :-)

    Glad you are enjoying yourself too that really shines through in this post. Enjoy your rest day!

    Smithposts said...

    Sounds like you are indeed having a good training week. Looks like you fall schedule is quite full without the 3rd marathon.

    Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

    If you get more chances to do Peamans, you should try to race them. Try to get some running in the Natural Energy Lab if that fits in with your program. Bree may want to run with you. I hope he sea calms down, I never really enjoyed it when rough, though we still went out training in it.

    Shannon said...

    You rock Shirley, thanks for your support girl. I enjoy reading all your blogs.

    Keep rolling....

    Formulaic said...

    Those are some AMAZING numbers!

    You are an inspiration.

    Thank you and keep up the good work!

    Steve Stenzel said...

    "Only 2 marathons." Oh Shirley. You're just nuts!

    ;)

    Susan said...

    WOW! You're indeed on top of the world!!!

    Black Knight said...

    Is the rest day a day of sorrow? ....considering how active you are!

    jeanne said...

    50 mile bike followed by 6 mile run...for FUN?!?! i had to read that twice to make sure.

    you're a machine!

    Iron Eric said...

    WOW. That's awesome. The waves are narley...or is it narly.

    Sunshine said...

    Looking Good!!
    Ah to be swimming in the ocean!!
    Great job on back to training.

    IrishBlue said...

    Wow, if you're lazy that rest of us are dead! LOL...you are amazing.

    I love the surf pic. What I wouldn't give...