Monday, September 15, 2008

Still Riding the Big Wave

I know, I know ... No Pictures = Didn't Happen.

So this week's recap has lots of pictures!

I'm still riding high on training volume and keeping speed low except in swimming. My right hamstring, the one that was injured two months ago, seems to be holding up fine but is still noticeably tighter than the left one. Will it ever be the same again???

The week began with Monday being a rest day.

TUESDAY: AM Group Swim Workout - 2650 yards incl. 6x100 on 2:00 (1:49-50) and 16x25 all-out sprints on 1:00 (:21-22). OMG, where's slow lane?! Left photo: Me and Coach Eric Nielsen, husband of masters swim superstar KPN and a swim guru himself.
PM Hill Run & Core - 6.4 mile run with a steady 500-600 foot climb one way. First hill workout in a while (9:58 avg pace). I really should run more hills.



WEDNESDAY: Long Brick - 54.4 miles on the Kona IM bike course (16.4 mph, ~750 cals consumed) followed by an 8.2 mile run (10:01 avg pace, 2 gels gulped). Miles 6-7 run at race pace (9:00). A beautiful day, better nutrition and a negative split run!



THURSDAY: AM Mid-Long Hill Run - 12.4 mi run with a 2 mile long 600-700 foot climb in the middle (10:41 avg pace). Made it to the top w/o walking but the view was hazy due to the VOG :-( Should have brought more than one gel. Big hills make me hungry!
PM Pool swim - 2850 yds incl. 6x200 Pull, 4x50 Paddles on 1:00 and 12x50 Free on 1:00 (:54-55). A good swim workout for tired legs.



FRIDAY: AM Open Water Swim - 30 min easy ocean swim along the Kona IM swim course. Conditions were much calmer this week but recent shark sightings further north on the island have kept me swimming with fins or else I'd probably chicken out altogether. Damn that Jaws movie! Lots of pretty fish around to make it fun, though.
PM Easy Bike Ride & Core - 34.5 miles on the Kona IM bike course (15.6 mph).



SATURDAY: AM Long Run - Another super slow, time-on-feet 4-hour run, but faster than last week, 21.5 miles (avg pace 11:10). Miles 18-19 run at an 8:37 avg pace. YOWZA!
PM Recovery Pool Swim - 1700 yards (400 Free, 400 kicking with fins to loosen up ankles after the run, 4x200 Pull/Free, 100 Stroke). Who knew 1700 yds could seem so short?!



SUNDAY: AM Open Water Swim - 1.2 mi on the Kona IM swim course with two other women who were also wearing fins. Took us about 50 min with lots of breaks along the way to wait for the slowest swimmer. NOT me :-)
PM Swim Lesson, Spin & Core - One hour lesson with Coach Eric (KPN is out of town) in their Endless Pool working on form and getting videotaped. Worth every penny! 15 mile spin on an exercise bike to help legs recover from the long run yesterday.


Weekly totals:
Swim 11,712 yards (6)
Bike 104 mi (3)
Run 48.5 mi (4)
Other 1:20 (3)

Two weeks until the first of my two week-apart marathons. One more week in paradise!

31 comments:

Jenny Davidson said...

That really does sound heavenly! Good luck with the hamstring...

Wendy said...

Wow! Good week in Shirley!

Looking forward to more on the stroke analysis.

Formulaic said...

Those are some great totals.

Keep up the good work. Can't wait to hear about the marathons.

Jade Lady said...

Ah..you've been swimming a ton! Sounds like you're really enjoying yourself!

Tammy said...

Hope your hamstring holds up nice job on your other workouts. Great job! Oh, I get my surgery on 10/10 LOL the day before that was suppose to be my 1/2. Looks like end of October I'll beable to start getting back into the training :D. yippeee.

Brittany M. said...

What an awesome training time and great pictures...we're all extremely JEALOUS, you know this right?? Sounds like you're getting some great workouts in, and glad the hamstring is doing well. I bet the tightness goes away at some point!

Kevin said...

That sounds awesome! Great training + great scenery = just amazing

skoshi said...

Wow, Shirley--just getting caught up, and it sounds like you're having a fantastic training vacation. And, enjoying every minute.
How's the vog when you're running long? One year I went over there, and my nose just completely shut down--must have been a bad day.
Thanks for the photos.
I didn't know they were still doing Peaman. How fun.
Good luck on your 2 week apart marathons.
I expect (and rightly so) GREAT THINGS. You go girl!

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Sounds like you are having a great time. The running just seems so professional to me. I guess that comes with consistent run training.
Here in Taiwan the weather is becoming slightly cooler and there should be fewer people in each lane in the pool as winter approaches. That means I will be able to train with a little more focus. Hope your two marathons go well. Your hamstring should return back to normal in due course. A lot of nice pictures. You are certainly more photogenic than me.

mangotriathlete said...

Nice training :-) Especially your swimming, you seem to have that *down*. But eep on the sharks! And I like your pictures :-) Positive thoughts to you for your continued strengthing hamstring....

Susan said...

WOW! And to think some people go to Hawaii to just sit on their butts and sight-see. HA!

That was an EXCELLENT week.

I wonder the same about my ankle. I think "OK, this started a YEAR ago, why does it still pain me?"

jeanne said...

holy crap you're amazing. what plan are you following? are you training for ironman? i don't know how you fit it all in!!! GREAT JOB!

Gotta Run said...

Are you sure you are leaving there? That just looks like a training paradise.

Smithposts said...

Great week in paradise! I am always impressed with hill runs. In my book, some people are born climbers, some are not. Unfortunately, I am not. You seem to do it with your usual cheerful smile!

CewTwo said...

Wow! What a training schedule. AND you seem to be enjoying it! I am so impressed!
As a novice to this type of serious training, I am inspired by you to keep going! However, I am so glad to be approaching my taper to the event...

Stef said...

Woo Hoo you are on such a roll! So excited for you!

Can't wait to read about your Miami Man race. I looked at that race (not seriously for this year but maybe for the future) cause of the run through the zoo!

You are positioning yourself to do well at ALL of these races. Nice work.

lizzie lee said...

YOU IMPRESS ME BIG TIME!!!!!!

What a discipline. I could never do that... I would chicken out on open waters with fins or w/o them... ah, and BTW, how did you do your miles 18-19 at an 8:37 avg pace? That was pretty much amazing!!! when we are about to die in a long run, here comes Shirley and accelerates and flies!!! Congrats... nice pix

Steve Stenzel said...

Great numbers! And great photos!!

AND of COURSE you can use some Grim Reaper photos!! Share the wealth!

peter said...

I see you're enjoying HI and getting a lot of good training in. You are so good! On my vacation I didn't do anything but sit back and relax for a week. (Of course, I was on a boat in the bottom of a canyon so there was little choice.) Beautiful photos.

Eileen Swanson said...

Great to hear your swimming is coming along! SWEET!

Sunshine said...

Enjoy.. and happy marathoning.

Appreciated your comment.

You are right: An indoor marathon in January will not get flooded out!

i am Susan said...

Enjoy the time that you have left in Kona...it looks like you are keeping busy while you are there and getting some good mileage in.

Calyx Meredith said...

Thanks for all the fun pictures! You're training is in high gear. Glad the hamstring is holding up and hope it's 100% soon. Can't wait to find out how your back to back marathons go! Peace.

Judi said...

Awesome pix. I think this is the 1st time I have commented here. It is beautiful there.

Kathy said...

Wow, you are something else! Simply amazing! Great work, and beautiful shots. It must be pretty incredible to ride, run and swim there. Keep up the great work and take it easy on that hamstring. (Though with that schedule I doubt that is likely!)

BreeWee said...

THIS is the MOST fun post ever, I love how creative you are with those photos and all! HOW FUN to document the adventures like this, I LOVE your blogs!

Glad I got to see you for 5 minutes, even though you were swimming and I was chatting with coach Eric!

NICE week, hope the leg stays in GOOD shape! Come back soon, I keep missing you...

Marathon Maritza said...

I'm so jealous! You are totally taking me back to 3 years ago when I was in Kona...beautiful running spots!

Kimberly said...

I really love your blog and the pictures are great. I wish I could be in the great shape that you are in. I see you live in HI and in Orlando, FL. I am originally from FL and my brother lives in Orlando. Small world.
Wanted you to know that I put up a special post to let you know about what I am doing with the ducks. Hope you enjoy it. Let me know if you have any questions. Keep up the great training
Kimberly(berly6412)

lizzie lee said...

Do you have a list of the achieved 50 state marathons? What states are still outstanding?

Rural Girl said...

Awesome stuff! You are kidding, PARADISE!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

ummmm....jealous!!!