Monday, August 31, 2009

Back in the Food Chain

Gators, snakes, turtles, oh my!

Has it really been nearly 2 years since I last swam at Lucky's Lake and got my patch?

Well, Coach put an end to that streak last Saturday morning. This time I did 4 round-trip crossings vs. 2 (each one is 1K long), my longest swim this year and my first non-wetsuit open water swim over 2K ever!

The water temp was 85 degs but I did see a couple people wearing sleeveless wetsuits. Some had noodles in tow, others had fins, snorkels, you name it. I wore fins only on my last crossing since my arms were quite tired. That way I knew for sure I could make it. The rule is if you have any doubts, don't do it!


Because there are NO lifeguards or people on kayaks watching over you. And you know there's NO such thing as a guaranteed gator-free lake in FL.


Just to remind you and give you a "fuller" FL lake swimming experience, Lucky, the owner of the house whose backyard we start from, has placed a couple decorative gators right at the water's edge. Nice guy, huh?


Before we got started, I saw something breaking the surface of the water near some reeds by the shore. Just a turtle it turned out. Whew!


And soon we were off. Here's a photo from the Lucky's Lake Swim website to give you an idea of what the lake looked like. There was a much bigger turnout Saturday morning, though, like about hundred swimmers, which was nice. The more links in the food chain, the better!


Most folks did 1 or 2 crossings. I was going for 3-4 so I asked Dave to float along next to me on the last 2 for added safety. It worked out great, I thought, until I found out that the fins he was wearing hurt his foot a lot (he's been having top of the foot pain lately). Next time I'm on my own so I'd better get faster so I can swim while there are still others out there.


One of the last to get out but all limbs still attached. 11,524 yards in 3 swims last week!


My post-swim treat: jalapeno bagels, one of my favorite foods. Dave brought some home for me when he went through the Chicago airport on Thursday. Thanks Dave!!


Saturday afternoon, I put 10 miles in on a gym treadmill at a 7:50 pace. The cool, dry 70-80 deg indoor temps felt soooo nice to run in and, really, I wasn't wussing out. I was actually trying to be smart about not overdoing things in the heat for a change. And, of course, that 4K swim earlier did take some energy out of me already so I didn't want to push things too much.

Because Sunday I was to do a "short" 50 mi bike ride followed by a 13 mi brick run. The ride ended up being 59.3 miles (18.6 mph avg) but the run was right on. Don't want to run any extra in the heat! Ended up with a 9:51 pace in 93-94 degs heat index, which is on the low side of my iron marathon goal pace range so very happy with that. It seems that wearing a Camelbak is really helping me stay much better hydrated. I might even wear it during part of the marathon at the Great Floridian depending on how hot race day will be.

So ends another iron training week for me. Congrats to everyone who completed IM Canada and IM Louisville!

34 comments:

Jenny Davidson said...

Very good!

I'm going to try using a Camelbak for my long runs this fall - I don't think I drink enough when it's little bottles, and it makes such a difference for recovery...

Marlene said...

4 laps! Wow, congrats Shirley! Awesome swim. You look so strong and fit in the pic - good for you!

(The gator pic totally freaked me out!)

MaineSport said...

Nice job on the swimming. I don't remember gators @ GFT, but you never know....

DaveP said...

The ride Sunday was supposed to be 50 miles, but she dropped me like a bad habit and had to come back to see if I was still alive.

Gotta Run..Gotta Ride said...

I would have to swim in my tub before I would swim in that lake.

Are you crazy!?? :))

Wendy said...

SO JEALOUS! Oh, was I yelling??

Regina said...

You really had me with that gator pic. I was thinking then how much better the Hudson River is after all. I do know, from visiting my Grandmother in FL, they do actually hang out in lakes, ponds, etc. Pretty scary!!

The turtle is a very nice consolation prize. And you look super cute in your swimsuit (at the risk of sounding too smarmy).

Molly said...

Nice job on the swim - wow! The fake gators would totally freak me out.

jeanne said...

that is IRON tough! gators?!?! no way!

X-Country2 said...

You're rockin it girl! Sounds like a fantastic weekend of training.

Karen said...

Great job! I don't know if I would have had the guts to get in there :)

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

eek. i never would have had the nerve to do that. eek!

Meg Runs said...

OMG! HOW scary!!

You are one tough gal! Great job!

Maria said...

What a solid week of training!

Way to kick ass on the swim. Not gonna lie, when I looked at the pictures of the gators, my stomach may have dropped to my feet. Congrats on the 4 laps!

You are a real trooper training in that heat constantly!

Susan said...

Oh my lord - fake gators. Yikes!

jen said...

Cool!! What a swim! I love it. That fake gator freaked me out. That's not funny!

Great pace on your ride and on the runs. You're so amazing! And looking great in the swimsuit too. ;) Not a bad side effect of IM training eh?

Keep up the good work Super Shirley!

Sunshine said...

MN has 10,000 (actually probably 20,000) lakes.. but NO gators!
You are one tough swimmer.

lizzie lee said...

You would have to drug me to throw me there... and your friend can cause me a heart attack with the gator decor!!!

Smithposts said...

Not so sure about the fake gators, it would take a lot of convincing to get me in the water!

Another successful training week in the books for you. You always make it sound like fun!

Rainmaker said...

Ahh, how cute - the turtle is just like my little turtles. :)

lindsay said...

uhhhh yeah. fake or not, i would not be jumping in!!!

Lily on the Road said...

Saw you over at Wendy's so I thought I'd drop by...

Wow, that is one awesome swim, and those gators would give me the willy's....when I first saw the photo's I thought they were real....yike who knew that you could get fake gators?

Black Knight said...

Nice job on the swim, congrats. Very nice photos.

EndorphinBuzz said...

I thought that was a real gator!!! I'd be afraid to swim in there, you are pretty courageous. Good work on the treadmill & brick workouts.

Sherry said...

I want to do the Lucky's Lake swim SOOO badly!!! It's totally on my agenda for next year. :o)

WAY to go with YOUR awesome swim and your amazing training week!

Oh... and I just adore my Camelbak too. Honestly, I would be lost without it. It's definitely my quintessential traing gadget.

Wishing you a GREAT week!

Keri said...

Just found your blog! Wow, you are amazing!

skoshi said...

Opened your post and made me smile immediately to see the familiar Lucky's patch. Mark and I signed the wall when we were there. Very cool to do 4 crossings--my arms would have been WAY tired.

btw--my rather older Camelbak just bit the dust (it's so "older" that I was in a race and a man passed me with the comment, "Holy old school Camelbak!--made me laugh). I'm getting ready to look for another one, and I'm wondering what model you use to run, or if you have any recommendations?

p.s. You look great--really fit--best of everything for your remaining training and The Race.

Irish Blue said...

Are you swimming there because the gators make you swim faster? If not, this is crazy...lol.

Rural Girl said...

You folks are absolutely crazy. You do not seriously swim in a lake with gators like that. I can't even imagine this! Nice picture, Shirley. You look very fit and strong!

Maria said...

hey i just saw a video of this swim, check out the link below (hope it works!).
http://growingbolder.com/media/sports/water-sports/luckys-lake-swim-202905.html

Jade Lady said...

eeek..i thought that gator was real!

sounds like you had a great swim!

Petraruns said...

Hey lovely Shirley - have just been catching up on your blog posts. Wow you have been busy. Your posts on your coach and diet are incredibly informative - I can smell that at some point I will take myself seriously enough to go that way and your post will be my reference. And the swim in the possibly croc-infested lake.. hrm. Not sure I'll be doing that...

aron said...

ahhh scary :) great job on the swim and ALL the workouts! you are looking good in your suit too :)

RoadBunner said...

The decorative gator would FREAK ME OUT!