Monday, July 27, 2009

Tag About Threes

Saw this fun tag on Wendy's blog. I am not going to tag anyone either but if you want to do it, consider yourself tagged!

Three names I go by:
1. Shirley
2. ShirleyPerly
3. Muffin (Dave's nickname for me)

Three jobs I have had in my life:
1. Computer consultant (now)
2. Oceanographer/Computer Scientist (out of college)
3. Waitress (first-ever job)

Three places I have lived:
1. Orlando, FL (where I am most of the time)
2. La Jolla, CA (where I attended grad school)
3. Richmond, CA (where I grew up)

Three favorite drinks:
1. Coffee (usually only in the mornings)
2. Diet cola (not picky about brand)
3. POM Wonderful pomegranate juice*

Three TV shows that I watch right now:
NONE - I don't have time to watch TV! (no cable either)

Three places I have been recently:
1. Kailua Kona, HI (June-July)
2. San Diego, CA (June)
3. Fargo, ND (May)

Three people who e-mail me regularly:
1. Hubby Dave
2. Coach Bill
3. Karen (work associate)

Three of my favorite foods:
1. Grilled salmon (a rare treat, maybe 2-3 times a year)
2. Strawberries (an occasional treat a few times a year)
3. Jalapeno bagels (when I fly through Chicago-ORD)

Three things I'm looking forward to:
1. Moving to Hawaii full-time
2. Being able to swim 100 yards in 1:30
3. Doing a race with my grandkids (when I have some and they're old enough)

*I got some samples of POM Wonderful recently -- WOW! I really like the taste of it (kind of a tart grape-cranberry flavor to me) and it's loaded with anti-oxidants, great for me because even though I eat a lot of fruits & veggies, I know I don't eat much foods high in antioxidants. And I know I should but I'm a LAZY eater who's content to eat the same ol' foods unless a change is obviously needed (say, I'm getting sick or feeling weak). This makes it easy, though. Thanks POM!

_________________________

Workout-wise, another tough weekend but I nailed my nutrition and all went well:

Fri - 3000 yd swim (3x1000, new 1000 yd swim PR of 19:41) + strength training
Sat - 12 mi run (11am, 91-93 deg HI, 9:46 pace, neg split, AHR 151 - low Z2)
Sun - 70 mi bike (17.5 mph, 81-96 deg HI, flat course, low wind, neg split, AHR 140 - hi Z1)
      + 8 mi run (noon, 96-94 deg HI, 9:16 pace**, neg split, AHR 157 - Z2)
**About 30 sec faster than my iron marathon goal pace (see blue box to the right) but felt great and was trying to beat a thunderstorm that was moving in.


I'm not sure why Coach scheduled this week's long brick workout the day after the long run but it was a nice change and I'm not gonna complain :-)  I will talk more about my nutrition in an upcoming post. That and dealing with the heat are probably the two biggest challenges in my iron quest this year.

22 comments:

DaveP said...

On the last list
4. Staying with Dave ;-)

Missy said...

Nice follow thru from DaveP!

Sherry said...

Hi Shirley! I'm brand new to your blog... and I wanted to stop in and say 'hi'! I'm having a blast reading your post... especially b/c I'm also a Florida athlete (Pt. Charlotte/Ft. Myers area). I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in my challenges with this heat/humidity... it's insane stuff!

Totally looking forward to following your training and races. :o)

lindsay said...

moving to hawaii?!?!? can i come?!!?

what do you do for work? can you hire me? :) lol.

i don't watch tv either! i don't get the big deal about all those tv shows, though i never had the time to get sucked in.

great job on the weekend workouts! you are a machine!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

great list, so fun to learn a little more about bloggers this way! Can you hire me too? LOL

Jenny Davidson said...

Here's to 100s in 1:30 - a goal of mine too!

Marlene said...

Nice workouts, Shirley! That heat would have killed me.

Meg Runs said...

Wow, sounds like a tough weekend!

Yes, please talk nutrition, it can be confusing and different for everyone but I'm still curious.

Happy Monday...
P.S. I live near La Jolla!

cami said...

Oohhhh, Hawaii so sounds like paradise! I've seriously been considering moving there too --it's still on my short list of places to live.

MaineSport said...

Sorry, I don't have a note on GFT. I did it nearly 10 years ago, long before blogging started. Just don't look across the lake during your three laps.

RoadBunner said...

I am also a "lazy eater," though I prefer to call myself a "creature of habit." I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch every single day, usually. And dinner... I mix up about 4 different dishes. Doesn't bother me at all!

I think it is sad you eat your three favorite things so infrequently (especially since they are fairly healthy!). Treat yourself!

X-Country2 said...

Your trips are always SO fab. I kind of want your life. :o)

Regina said...

sticking this list in my back pocket for later. I really liked it though, getting to know you little by little.

I decided I'm moving with you to Hawaii, I hope you have a pull out couch! Heck, I'll sleep on the lanai (see, I can speak Hawaiian too!)

Spokane Al said...

Swimming 100 yards in 1:30 is on my list too, although achieving that goal will probably have to wait for another life.

And as for eating, I don't think of myself as lazy, just frugal. We eat fruits and vegetables that are in season and on sale. That pretty much leaves out the fancy stuff.

Rural Girl said...

I am so envious of your travels. How exciting!
I am also envious of your heat down there. We haven't broke 80F but a handful of times all summer. And I soooo need it to prepare for IM Lou.

Irish Blue said...

Hi Shirley,
Trying to get caught up with you and what you've been up to lately. Can't wait to read the nutrition post as that's where I seem to struggle most.

I would happily move back to Hawaii too!

Kaolee Hoyle said...

When are you moving to Hawaii? How cool!

lizzie lee said...

good!!! I noticed that my "tag" repeats in almost everything...

seems I don't change much..e.g. Favorite food
1) Pasta
2) Pasta
3) Pasta....

Gotta Run..Gotta Ride said...

no cable... how do you make it :))))

Love the list. Dave's comment is the best.

Jade Lady said...

thx for sharing - you and pom-juice, huh?

TinaGirl said...

Hey Shirley! I grew up in Martinez, right down the road from where you grew up. I might have to steal this for my blog.

aron said...

i love these posts :) i always forget you grew up so close to here!!! you need to come back to visit :)