Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Chain Condom???


No, it's not something kinky. It's something bikey! Helps keep bike chain grease from getting all over the place: in your car, in rental cars, in suitcases, in hotel rooms, in your house and even in your bed! (Dave steps on it barefoot, it goes where he goes). Warning: If you ship it to work, you might get questions from nosey co-workers who see the package.



Yippee! I got my invite, based on my finish at the RnR Man Half Iron. But I won't be doing it, unfortunately. I'm doing another half iron the weekend after and that one will be an important test of how I handle the heat at The Great Floridian. Still, nice to have made the cut!



The stock market the last couple days? No, it's my HR during my Tues run. 5 miles, no problemo -- HA! It was evil at 6pm in temps that still felt like 90+ degs and totally obvious I haven't done much hard effort running recently ... UGH.

Mile 1 warm-up (9:09, AHR 146) - Plenty warm after just 10 steps.
Mile 2 hard (6:56, AHR 165, max 182) - ouch, Ouch, OUCH!!
Mile 3 easy (11:43, AHR 149) - Gasp, I'm dying :-(
Mile 4 hard (7:07, AHR 169, max 183) - Oh no, not again!!!
Mile 5 cool-down (9:28, AHR 157) - I'm too old for this stuff.
Lesson learned: Mornings or 7pm would be better for speed work.



My Garmin FR 305 arrives tomorrow! Been using Dave's old Garmin Edge 305 for biking & running but it has no wristband so I've been carrying it in a Fuel Belt pocket, not ideal when needing to monitor pace and HR often (running by feel is unreliable for me in the heat, as you can see from the splits above). Why not the new Garmin 310XT? Too expensive, plus it seems to have bugs that need working out. (Update 7/25: Kevin has figured out how to get the 310 working!)



Drats! And no spare swim cap with me, of course. But I could still wear it so I decided to go ahead with my swim today and fiddle with it as needed (I have a LOT of hair and can't swim without a cap). 6x500, 1 min rest in between, easy-med-fast-med-easy-fast. Swam a new fastest 500yd time of 9:21 (1:52/100yd) -- Whoohoo!!!


22 comments:

Meg Runs said...

That's so great to have received the invite, you should be so proud of your time!

Great job!

Rainmaker said...

If only I had that chain bag about a year or two...before my backseat looks like it does now.

cami said...

Chain condom?! Seriously? That's pretty funny..

Must be a great feeling, getting such an invite. Congratulations!:)

Smithposts said...

Clever minds on the chain bag! Running around 6ish in TN is tough enough, but FL?! Definitely another heat training success!

DaveP said...

Yeap, the only way the Chain Condom package could have been worse if it was in a brown paper wrapper.

Wendy said...

Nice to make the cut indeed! Congratulations!!

Marlene said...

Nice 5 mile run! Also, congrats on the 500yd swim PR!

Thanks for the 310XT info! Definitely more to think about...

lindsay said...

lol about the chain guard, but very practical!

congrats on the invite! that's awesome!! too bad you can't go though :(

Gotta Run..Gotta Ride said...

invite, new gadget, and a very needed new swim cap.... sounds like a perfect day! You are so zoned in and rocking it all!!! Keep moving forward.

Missy said...

Congrats...sometimes, it's just nice to have been invited! Yeah, a friend of mine is waiting on her backordered 310XT. I say, never buy anything that is new to market. Give them a bit to work the kinks out.

Jenny Davidson said...

Fun post! Definitely a nice invitation...

Regina said...

Chain condom! love it, I could use that on the long rides to the beach when I want my bike near me on the sand.

Congrats on the invite (even if you aren't taking it), I can't even get invited to someone's house for dinner!

RBR said...

Special invite toe the HalfMax Championships! Soo cool!!

I need one of those chain covers I get grease all over EVERYTHING!

So sad to hear about the new Garmin. I figured there would be problems since there were so many problems with the 405. I love my 305.

I am a numbers nerd. I can't believe you have gone this long without one!

Runner Leana said...

Congratulations on the invite! The chain protector thingie looks really interesting. Thankfully I have a black interior and can see nothing... What I need is protection for my legs! I am perpetually covered in bike grease!

RoadBunner said...

I think the chain condom is an AWESOME idea!! Why didn't someone think of it sooner?!

I really want a 310XT. It is so shiny an pretty :)

Your super thick pony tail has punched a hole in your cap! The Tail strikes back from being suffocated every swim!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Whoohoo! Congrats on making the cut, that's awesome!! Must have been awesome to open that email!! Enjoy your Garmin! :D

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

congrats on making the cut!!

The Life and Limericks of a DC Maverick said...

Congratulations! Super Blog.

Sunshine said...

Congratulations all over the place... the invite.. the chain containment... the super swim time... making do with the swim cap...

Kevin said...

Congrats on qualifying. That chain condom sounds like a good idea and for only 20$ not too shabby. I just got my 310 and used it for the first time today. Worked well today. Had a little trouble uploading, but once I downloaded updates to all the garmin s/w it loaded fine

X-Country2 said...

Hee. You said condom. :o) I'm 12.

The Alien said...

Congrats on getting that invite!! That is sooooo AWESOME!!