Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Confession

With Dave usually on travel during the week, there is no one in my house but my fish to witness what I do. And they do have a way of tattling on me. But I've been sneaking around them.

What have I been doing?

Well, anyone who knows me well knows I'm an over-doer by nature. I can do the right or wrong things to the point it doesn't really matter which I've done. In particular, I think I maybe overdoing this heat training stuff. At home, not even going outside, LOL.

The main part of our house is set to 82 degs and this is primarily so that I don't kill any more aquarium fish (they don't seem to like it when their water temps get above 84-86). The rest of the house, however, can get much hotter, especially upstairs where our home gym is located. Ahhh ... If I'm working, working out or sleeping in a room for a while, I usually set the thermostat for that zone to 85 (if Dave were around, usually the temp would be 77-82). Last night, though, I did a weight workout upstairs and the thermostat read 99(!). Bah, why turn on the A/C? I can handle the heat now, plus I'll be saving on our electric bill.

Well, I think I paid for it this morning in the pool. Just felt tired and unable to stay as focused. It was only a 2000 yd workout and I even skipped a 50, I later found out when recording the yardages and paces from my watch. Couldn't even count to 4!

At first I thought it was just lifting too much too late but Dave reminded me that I'd also done a very hot workout. Oh yeah, forgot about that part. And did I drink much while I was dripping and leaving puddles all over the place? NO (maybe 12 oz). Or afterwards? Noooo, too tired. DOH!

Another one of those stupid fathead things I do from time to time. In my zeal to HTFU and JUST DO IT, I just don't think sometimes.

Anyway, gotta go outside and do my yard now. Anyone ever try attaching a bike aero bottle to their mower?

23 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

OMFG, you have to take a pic of your mower with aerobars if you figure it out LOL. That would be a riot! Wowzers that hot!!

Smithposts said...

Oh my, so hot! I would have to sit perfectly still to keep from sweating.

Maybe the fact that we keep the house so cool explains why I wilt in heat and humidity. I am not going to suck it up and turn the thermastat higher to find out. Will make up the utility $$ in the winter when we turn the thermastat even lower...cold weather training, of course :-)

Marlene said...

How do you even function in that kind of heat, let alone workout?!

Meg Runs said...

You are too cute...I'm in your club of over-doing but the heat is too much! Stay cool girl and have some salt in something...it does clear the head!

I'm really enjoying your comments and blog, thanks!
meg

lindsay said...

wow 99! yeahh i woulda caved and turned on the air then i think. 85 i can deal with... kinda. :)

Regina said...

Welcome to Fatheads Anonymous. You are not alone in doing stupid things when we know better.

I love the visual of the aero bottle on the mower...too funny!

DaveP said...

It's 65 in the hotel right now ;-)

Rainmaker said...

Hilarious - awesome job.

There's a post Simon Whitfield did a long while back (1+ year), that shows him and a teammate inside a bathroom with the hot shower running and the door closed. And they were on bikes doing sets on trainers.

EndorphinBuzz said...

That is serious heat training :)

Why would you need to hydrate when you are swimming? There's water all around ;)

Irish Blue said...

With that thermostat reading, my husband would love you. He's always turning ours up in the summer and I'm always turning it down. I like it chilly. I can't seem to help myself.

Sherry said...

Oh, wow! You are one determined lady. I admire your dedication to getting this heat thing under control, but holy cow Shirley... exercise and dehydration aside, I can't believe you keep your house at 82F! OMG, I think I would die. LOL! *then again, as I'm writing this, I'm also thinking, "hmmm... maybe I should set my home to 82F?!? Maybe it would help me too!"*

You an amazing (and obviously dedicated) athlete... :o)

Brent Buckner said...

I think the answer is to do cooler races....

Jade Lady said...

yep - that heat makes u lose your mind!

Gotta Run..Gotta Ride said...

thanks for the reminder... we all slip up and have to re-learn lessons like this one.

Cliff said...

if u ever attach the aero bottle to a lawn mover..gotta post up a pic :)

Missy said...

No but we have a picture of Diana dragging weights behind her while mowing! Too much. 99, how the hells do you do that? I couldn't breathe or sleep!!!

Vickie said...

I'm surprised your fish survived those temps! Yes, the heat drains you in a way you don't realize. One good thing about our cool weather here this summer is not feeling drained from working out. So no excuses to miss anything!

peter said...

Hey, let's be careful out there! Nobody likes to come to my house much because I don't ever run the window units except in my bedroom a half hour before I go to sleep.

X-Country2 said...

Did you really do that to a mower? That's AWESOME!

The Alien said...

Well, as you know, it's better to do 'those things' while you're training than on race day. But yeah, you've got to drink a whole lot more fluids when training in heat, that's something that I've learned the hard way.

And I think that by popular request you now have to find a way to build the coolest aero-mower now, and take pics of course! :P

lizzie lee said...

We experienced the 100 here and I didn't know what to do with myself. And here houses don't have A/C because these hot temps only last 4-7 days... This time lasted about 5 days, and was ENOUGH!!!

You not setting the A/C when room at 99? Insane. I wonder what the fish thinks... If he would talk!!!

Susan said...

Oh Shirley, you crazy gal!

Petraruns said...

Shirley you crack me up! A little less HTFU and JFDI and a little more TLC maybe?