Monday, July 13, 2009

Iron Mumbo Jumbo

Sorry, no new photos from the Hawaii Chamber of Commerce today. This is just an update on my iron training. I'm now 5 months into it with only 4 to go!

And this weekend was a biggie, the first one clearly beyond my half iron comfort zone. Poor Dave missed out (he had to return to the mainland last weekend) so it was just me and training partners myself and I. We psyched ourselves up by first reviewing the IM time goals that Coach and I discussed last month following the Rock 'n Roll Half Iron:

Swim 1.2 mi - 1:30 (2:07/100y) with a wetsuit
Bike 112 mi - 6:30-6:45 (16.6-17.23 mph)
Run 26.2 mi - 4:15-4:30 (9:44-10:18 pace)
Total race time - sub-13 hours.

Note: I know better than to think that everything will go according to plan on race day so these numbers are just to act like a hot poker stick for me in training. Although I have yet to complete an iron distance tri, this go-around I want to give myself the chance to do more than just try to make the cut-offs because, one, I think I can and, two, I'm no longer content with squeaking by, not by choice anyway. Gotta keep things fun and interesting!

Then off we went to do the workouts:

Friday - Swam 3500 yds: 7x500 with 1:00 min rest @ 2:04/100 avg pace. As directed, I practiced sighting, breathing every 5 strokes to build lung capacity (I prefer breathing every 3 or 4) and did some "fast" and endurance paced 500s (1:55-2:02/100). This was my longest swim since 2006 and a far cry from where I used to be back then, indeed, even at the start of this year when just one 500 was not all that easy for me, really. Check plus.

Saturday - Rode 75 mi: Total avg speed 16.6 mph, the lower end of my IM bike goal pace range, but ~70 mi were on the legendary Queen K highway @ 16.9 mph (the rest through town & traffic). Only in the last 15 miles when pushing pretty hard against the usual headwind (and watching my average speed drop lower and lower) did I feel lonely and want someone to commiserate with, not draft. Honest! Afterwards, a 45 min brick run: 4.7 miles @ 9:34 pace in 85 degs (89 heat index). A bit faster than my IM run goal pace but it felt comfortable so hopefully that means my bike nutrition and pacing were good. Check.

Sunday - Ran 13 mi: 9:47 avg pace in 85-86 degs (89-90 heat index). Waited till the hottest part of the day and selected a nice rolling, fairly shadeless route with plenty of heat radiating back from the black pavement too but there turned to be a nice breeze. Darn ;-) Actually ran the first 4 miles at an 11:05 pace(!) which meant needing a big negative split to get back into my goal pace range (you can do the math). Lesson learned: Need to wear my Garmin where I can see it more readily, as opposed to in my back pocket. It's quite possible for me to take running easy too far on tired legs. Check minus.

So, overall, a good weekend of workouts. The real test, however, will be how I do back in Orlando where it's generally hotter & stickier. But that won't be for another few days :-)

Hope everyone's week goes well!

31 comments:

MaineSport said...

That's a great weekend of training. Keep it up!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

keep on keepin' on!

lindsay said...

strong weekend workouts! i wish i had that much energy :)

Missy said...

Great training! Looks good to me! I did the same thing for ironman targets - did a best case and a worst case scenario. Turned out as good as I could have imagined. Visualize it, always have a Plan B and you'll hit your goals, I have no doubt.

Molly said...

Wow, great job. What a tough weekend and you rocked it!

Gotta Run..Gotta Ride said...

the heating blanket will have some effect but you will adjust well I am sure.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

You're doing so well with the training, I'm tired from just reading it! Totally inspiring though :)

jen said...

Great training!! You are very strong on all three and a big inspiration. I think your time goals are very realistic and actually I think you could probably blow them away. Keep up the good work!!

Rural Girl said...

Goals are great. They are what keep us going. Glad to see you've made some good ones!

DaveP said...

Ah ha! I now know the bike pace I have to keep!

Marlene said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and for your support!

I'll be following you as well. It sounds like you are up to some awesome things and I can't wait to read more about your journey.

jeanne said...

wow!!!!!!!!

TRIPLE DIPPLE CHECKS PLUS PLUS PLUS!

Regina said...

Ok your brick makes mine look like childsplay ;) gotta start somewhere right?

You're working hard! Keep up the good work. (like you need me to tell you. LOL)

Coach Bill said...

awesome weekend - great test!

Stef said...

I love your approach to your goals -- pushing you like a hot poker stick during training! :-)

I struggle sometimes with setting time goals but, like you, I don't want to just squeak by. I think I'm going to adopt your approach.

X-Country2 said...

What a great week of training! You're going to KILL Ironman!

The Alien said...

That was a hard weekend. Specially the swim. I have trouble trying to breath every 3 strokes, so doing it every 5 would drive me crazy!!!

Thanks for your last comment on my blog, I really appreciate your input!

skoshi said...

Goodness, Shirley, I so admire how you train. I think of you as "steady state," but I know that it takes commmitment and effort to make those workouts as steady as they are...
p.s. I can't see 6 inches in front of my nose without contacts!

peter said...

Yikes! I did three miles on Saturday and again on Sunday with my new program (Army Ten-Miler) trainees. You're in a different universe!

EndorphinBuzz said...

That is a lot of training way to go!!!

Petraruns said...

That's a weekend's hard training girl - and well done on doing SO much better on the swimming. What do you do for nutrition?

Formulaic said...

That is an awesome weekend of training. Keep it up and you'll have the time of your life (and your dreams)!

Black Knight said...

Very good job. I am also thinking to buy very soon a new bike and I like your one.

Vickie said...

Sounds like your training is coming along nicely. Too bad you have to head back to hot and sticky Orlando for more training though!

Runner Leana said...

Wow, that was a big weekend of training! Nicely done!! You ran during the hottest part of the day on purpose?? I suppose that makes sense..!

Marco ~Bodhi~ said...

Wow, great job.
Take Care

Marco from Germany

Tammy said...

Your doing an amazing job on training keep it up!!!

Lora said...

That's some impressive output there, Shirley!

Hey, thanks for the well-wishes over on my blog lately. That's always cool of you to stop by.

Rainmaker said...

Wow, that's a pretty solid workout. Very impressive!

Jade Lady said...

wow, you're doing well - particuarly impressed with the swimming!

Haven't done much heat training - cuz training has been so early morning lately.

Road Warrior said...

I especially like that you remind yourself of your race goals before your longer workouts. What a great way to recenter yourself!