Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Rewarding Yourself

This is something I'm not very good at, really. Rather than give myself a break or some treat for achieving something, I'm more likely to simply raise the bar higher and jump right into my next challenge.

It's nothing new for me. I never attended or celebrated my college graduations either, opting instead to go straight into grad school and then a full-time job after that. Most of my "rewards" in endurance sports, come to think of it, have been signing up for new races, getting new equipment to replace or augment old ones, seeking out better ways to train, etc. -- all stuff that could lead me to do more, more, MORE!

And while that may sound good, it can also be like supplying heroin to a drug addict. So I've been practicing rewarding myself differently while here in Kona, just to mix things up. Here's some proof of my recent debauchery:


I bought a new kit from Bike Works (top only shown here). I really didn't need one and it's not going to make me go any faster but it was just so darn cute. Total splurge!



Before the race award ceremony, we chilled and just gazed upon some tranquil tide pools. After several minutes, we realized that some of the rocks in the water were actually sea turtles! Nice not to always be in a hurry. (Click for a closer look at one)



And this one sunbathing seemed to be sending me a message. Hmm ... (Clickable)



Just for grins, we tried out a nearby surfer's snack shop despite having a fridge full of much healthier options back in the condo. Gorgeous view and great company.



My first whole hot dog in something like 30 years and Dave's second-ever Loco Moco plate dish (white rice topped with a hamburger patty, fried egg and brown gravy). No fear! No regrets!



Saw some 4th of July fireworks, another first in years. Usually we don't do much besides ride our bikes on holidays but this only involved stepping out onto the lanai. It's a start!


How do you reward yourself?

Big congrats to everyone who raced last weekend, in particular, Cliff and Leana, who both completed half iron tris, and RunningGeezer262 who ran as a first-time guide for a blind runner in a 5K event and the guy also happens to be training for an Ironman. Click here for RG262's great read!

This past week's workouts:
Swimming (3) 7450 yds
Cycling (3) 125.66 mi
Running (2) 13.36 mi

28 comments:

Wendy said...

Turtles!!

Well done on the kit splurge -- the top looks great on you!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

beautiful pics!! What a scenic view!! Love the bike kit too, very cute.

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Great photos. Sea turtles are awesome!

DaveP said...

So, what were all the Salmon dinners? ;-)

Susan said...

But Shirley... you had Diet Coke with that meal, which cancels out the badness. LOL!!!!

Good job, my friend.

Regina said...

That is a great shot of you with your bike and that shirt looks fabulous on you.

There really is something to be said about slowing down and taking things in around you. Those turtles are great! I need to take a lesson, living in the city that never sleeps.

That hot dog looks way better than any dirty water dog from the carts here.

way to reward yourself.

Stef said...

I feel like I could give lessons on rewarding oneself. Sometimes I feel like I do it A LOT.

Glad you are tuning into it though cause it IS important.

Your snacks looked GREAT! Mmmm.

And the kit is awesome!!! You look great in it.

Brent Buckner said...

Turtles!

Runner Leana said...

Thanks so much for the shout out Shirley! I love the new bike kit. That top definitely is cute! I am glad that you are having a chance to enjoy the scenery out there. Gotta splurge on a hot dog or some Loco Moco sometimes, eh!

Road Warrior said...

Very cool! I especially like that you both got Diet Cokes. Gotta save the calories. :-)

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

I guess I'm not one to celebrate things, at least by spending a lot of money. However, recently on one of our bike rides my wife and I stopped at a small Japanese restaurant and ate a fairly sizeable meal. Fortunately, it cost somewhat less than I expected, but since I had been fairly successful with work recently, it certainly did not break the bank.
Nice shirt. I'm surprised you don't have dozens of shirts from sponsors to wear!

aron said...

the turtles!!!!! <3 love the pics!

i love to reward myself after races with something to eat that i NEVER will eat otherwise :)

lindsay said...

beautiful pics! i need to reward myself with (another) vacation. :)

Rainmaker said...

(Completely off topic)

I just now noticed on your sidebar your 50-state marathon quest. That's pretty cool, I'm not entirely sure how I missed it before, but either way - cool stuff!

Kevin said...

Great pictures. Hawaii is so beautiful. One of these days I have got to get there

Kaolee Hoyle said...

I am jealous!

Rewards? I am a little like you. I see rewards as everyday little things so there's not much rewarding going on around here. More money would also help :)

RBR said...

Oh, Hawaii... I so long to be there. Thank you for the gorgeous pictures to give visual aides to my vicarious living!

You look A-DOR-ABLE in your new kit! A splurge that was well worth it (I am sure the shorts are cute too!)

Subliminal message: Vineman 2010, vineman 2010, vineman 2010 ;o)

Tammy said...

Hey Shirley I love the pictures. You definetely deserve the bike kit and that hot dog. You train really hard... to take a step back once in a blue moon isn't so bad. I wish I had your energy and drive. For me I wish I just had more time... for me my time is limited, especially having young children. My only hope is that my goals will encourange them to keep healthy and active.

Jade Lady said...

interesting that u never reward yourself. I usually reward myself by doing NOTHING!

ShirleyPerly said...

Well, I thought I was rewarding myself with the new races and other stuff but if your boss gives you a new computer or sends you to get more training so you can be more efficient and do more work, do you consider that a reward? For a workaholic, I'm thinking time off or something completely different is a better reward.

Gotta Run..Gotta Ride said...

I just received my first "team kit" and LOVE it. I think it is making me faster already :))))

I reward myself with SLEEP... lots of it....

Marathon Maritza said...

Love the turtle shots!

Besides not beating myself up for taking rest days, I reward myself with new running clothes/shoes or signing up for something else...Hmmmm maybe I need to rethink this too?

Fe-lady said...

Love the Hawaiian food! Thanks for photos and the bikeworks jersey is YOU!

Hot dogs are GOOOOD!!!! (once in a blue moon!)

Sunshine said...

I have been enjoying this post of yours.. great pictures.. I especially liked the click-on turtle!
Appreciating your comment about the meniscus. I am encouraged.
May, actually, get a second opinion reading of the MRI.
Will read your latest post in the morning.

Petraruns said...

I really love how your being an athlete is so much about your mind as well as your body - it is what makes you so inspiring. Keep breaking the mould Shirley - and keep spoiling yourself!

Judi said...

gorgeous pix shelly! hope your training is going well. i am sorry i haven't been by to read blogs lately. 44 days till IMKY! :) you look great! judi

Judi said...

p.s. diet coke, salty chips, and chocolate cake w/ vanilla ice cream. :)

peter said...

Boy, Dave's meal looked good! Where can I get one of those. Since you're in Hawaii, can't you find one they put Spam in too? I'm glad you're finding ways to relax by...relaxing.