Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Just a Quickie

Hope everyone had a great weekend! I'm short on time this week working on a special project so just some quick bullets with thoughts and happenings from last week.

  • New swimming motivation - Did another 4K swim at Lucky's Lake on Saturday. With now 10 crossings under my belt, I'd been thinking of joining the haloed 100K Club (those who've done 100 crossings). But after I got done, a guy told me he'd seen a small 3 foot gator on the other side earlier in the morning, and I don't think he was kidding. Dam gator! Now I'm going to have to swim faster and get all my crossings done before that thing gets too big for comfort.

  • Lightbulb moment - For the first time in months, Dave was actually home all week and he kicked my @ss on the bike on Sunday. We had 100 miles to ride and after mile 60, I had to back way off the 18-19 mph pace we were going to be able to finish the ride in good shape and run afterwards. Dave felt sorry for me and stuck with me. We ended up with a 17.3 mph avg but I ran the best I ever have off the bike, 4 miles at a 8:49 pace in 94 degs heat index. Click! I remembered what I was told at an IMFL training camp back in 2006: Give up 15 min on the bike and gain up to 45 min on the run. I believe it now.

  • More running in circles - I found another indoor marathon! This one's called The InStep Icebreaker Indoor Marathon and it's held in January in Wisconsin, a state I've not yet run in which is good. And it involves running "only" 95.4 laps vs. the 150 I ran at the Zoom Yah Yah Indoor Marathon last January in Minnesota since the track is bigger (443m vs. 282m). It's a guaranteed flat course with dry 50-55 deg conditions, no wind, 95 aid stations, 190 opportunities to use porta-potties. I don't think I can resist :-)

  • 50 in 50 by 49? - And speaking of marathons, originally, I was planning to complete my 50 states marathon quest in 2011 when I turned 50 but I've been thinking why wait? I only have 8 marathons/states left to do (WY, NM, WI, WV, DE, CT, RI, and VT) and could do them all next year. There are just so many unknowns in this economy. Some races are struggling due to sponsor cutbacks and traveling has become increasingly more difficult, esp. using frequent flyer miles, which I try to do whenever possible. Then there's the lure of moving to Hawaii early. Who wouldn't want that?

    Anyway, back to my project. I'll be catching up on what you've all been up to by the weekend!
  • 23 comments:

    Gotta Run..Gotta Ride said...

    You are crazy with all of those gators!!

    Why wait.... what sweet words. Since we are never promised tomorrow I say GO FOR IT!!

    Missy said...

    HOLY CRAP, indoor marathon!?! Are you serious? HOW do you NOT go totally insane?

    Jenny Davidson said...

    Great lightbulb moment! It's really true, isn't it?

    You should definitely do the indoor marathon - a comparatively humane # of laps...

    Marlene said...

    Wow, I didn't realize you were working towards 50-in-50-by-(49)50. You're almost there! Incredible.

    Congrats on the strong swim and brick!

    Indoor marathon.. 95 laps... WOW. I'll try almost anything once but I don't know about that. :p

    X-Country2 said...

    I still can't believe you do those indoor marathons. Crazy!

    Now, go get that 50!!

    Sara Cox Landolt said...

    I'd read about that lake & saw that patch before, my hubby wants one. Very interesting! I've never heard of an indoor marathon. We live near Madison, WI. Maybe I'll look into that event some more.

    DaveP said...

    On the gator issue. All you have to do is swim faster than one other person.

    Runner Leana said...

    15 min on the bike for 45 min on the run? Wow, interesting!

    You and those indoor marathons! At least you know the weather conditions would be perfect!

    Regina said...

    Let's see...run a marathon in all 50 states...move to Hawaii? It's a no-brainer for me!

    I however, am really impressed that you have run so many marathons in so many states already. I'm sorry I missed your NY one :*(

    Gator in the lake? Do I need to say it?

    Glad you had such an epiphany with the bike run thing. I love when that happens.

    Petraruns said...

    Oh my girl - you have got your skates on! nothing like a growing gator to get you moving I guess... you crack me up with another indoor marathon but your plan sounds fabulous - why not get them all in when you can? As long as you keep writing about it all..

    Meg Runs said...

    I always learn something from you! Indoor marathons? Have you already done one? What was that like? I run to be outside so those might be out of the picture!

    Road Warrior said...

    I love the marathon plan. That's one year earlier in Hawaii, so I bet you're all over it.

    Rainmaker said...

    It's pretty astounding to think how many marathons you have - as well as how many stories are behind those all.

    Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

    Gotta let me know when you come to NM!

    Sherry said...

    Shirley, you are so amazing!

    OK... so I am seriously taking this to heart: "Give up 15 min on the bike and gain up to 45 min on the run." I KNOW this is going to be my biggest obstacle at my first 1/2 iron (in *gulp* 17 days). I NEED to take what you wrote to heart... NEED to!!! Thank you!!!

    I won't even comment on the indoor marathon. I think I would die. LOL! I have to bird watch when I run.

    That being said, IMO, you have saved some of the BEST states for last! CT, RI, VT... yippee! All GORGEOUS states!!!!

    Tammy said...

    Way to go Shirley I hope you do get a chance to run up here next year. I'd love to cheer you on or join you. My plan is to do the 1/2 marathon in October coming up, I'll keep you posted.

    lindsay said...

    call me crazy, but i kind of want to do an indoor marathon. i didn't know there was more than one! don't know if it will work out for this january but i'll have to look into it :)

    nothing wrong with wrapping up your 50 a little ahead of schedule! maybe you could find #51 to run on your birthday weekend?

    Susan said...

    The Wisconsin marathon does sound good! Congrats - you are almost done. Soooo impressive!

    Kevin said...

    Funny. I thought that gator in the last post was real till I read further

    Mel-2nd Chances said...

    just catching up after a difficult week...

    gators?? ok, suddenly weeds and gunk just don't seem so bad. A marathon is still a huge accomplishment, an indoor one seems torturous. Good for you.

    lizzie lee said...

    Dear, you are definitely into it...
    1) the gator... are there any other waters to get crossing "points"?
    2) Hubby is great.. stuck with his love...
    3) 95.4 laps, that will put me in dementia state...
    4) 50 in 50 by 49.. Go for it... if not, by 50... if not by 51... Life is like a box of chocolates, we never know what we are gonna get...

    You will be always my hero, even if you complete them by 60!!!!

    sincere-lee
    lizzie lee

    EndorphinBuzz said...

    I'm sure you can outswim the gators anyways ;)

    Even 42 by 49 is already an impressive accomplishment.

    RoadBunner said...

    Check out the RunRunLive podcast. There was an episode where the race director of that indoor marathon was interviewed. It sounded so awesome (plus your great race report) that I am totally thinking of doing it one day!!

    I didn't realize you were SO close to your 50 in 50! Awesome!!

    Totally jealous about the "move to Hawaii" part. I think that is never going to happen for me :(