Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Family Reunion

Well, I'm not sure how much rest I actually got last week with 2 days spent traveling to attend a family reunion for 3 days but, technically/training-wise, it was a rest week:

Swim - 1 (3500 yds)
Bike - 2 (81.6 mi)
Run - 3 (27 mi)
Strength Training - 1
Total Hours: 11:43 - Yikes, still seems a lot.

But, I got to be with hubby Dave for 5 days in a row (which doesn't happen often unless we're on vacation) and escape the heat and humidity for a bit -- Woohoo!

The purpose of the reunion was to celebrate Dave's parents' 50th wedding anniversary. It'd been many years since all the kids and grandkids had been together and we all stayed at the Skamania Lodge in Stevenson, WA, which is ~40 mi east of Portland, OR, on the north side of the Columbia River. Dave and I got there Wednesday night and were departing Sunday morning while others were there for a whole week. LIFO (Last In First Out) is better than NDOS (No Dave Or Shirley). We crammed in a lot while we were there, though. See for yourself :-)


Thursday, our first full day there, Dave and I got up early to hit the gym for a quick workout and then went on an all day tour of Mt. St. Helens, WA, with everyone else. We donned blue hats (really visors but we kept calling them hats) that said "Pratt's 50th." Hey, at least we didn't have to all wear the same camp t-shirt.


As I shivered in the 60 deg temps looking at where Mt. St. Helens was supposed to be (see previous post below), Dave did his usual thing in a short sleeved polo shirt.


My step-daughter and son-in-law horsing around while two other Blue Hat Group members tested a park ranger's knowledge of the big boom that occured back in 1980.


Son-in-law killing time on the bus ride back.


Friday morning, Dave and I went for a chilly 30 mile bike ride (60 degs felt like 50 degs with 20-30+ mph winds - Oh my!) and then I ran laps around Stevenson for 8-miles to warm back up (it's a very small town). In the afternoon, the Blue Hat Group all went on a paddle boat tour of the Columbia River. Oh joy, more cold and wind.


Saw many of the usual sights you might expect along the river (bridges, fishing platforms, islands, etc.), but did not expect to see kayakers coming up behind the boat to surf in its wake. Is there anything people don't surf these days?


Got a closer view of one of the daredevils enjoying the winds along the Gorge that make it one of the top places in the world to windsurf and kiteboard (shown here). Cycling, perhaps not so much but what do dumb tourists like us know?


Friday evening, we attended a concert featuring Aaron Meyer, a rock violinist. Thank goodness, it had been moved indoors. Dave's parents seemed to have fun. (No, that's not me in the red)


Saturday morning, Dave and I set out for a 50 mile ride along the Gorge. This time I made sure to wear my windbreaker in addition to two layers while riding against the wind. Here I am climbing a 3-mile long hill generating enough heat to operate a small camera.


At the turnaround, I strip down to two layers. We climb back up the big hill and took a break near the top at Cape Horn (not Pe Ho). Dave's helmet has given him a Squiggy hairdo.


The kids enjoyed the break and view as well.


Dave in orange approaching Beacon Rock, a popular rock climbing spot. He was in heaven riding in the cool weather and hard to keep up with, especially on the downhills!


Me near Bonneville Dam about 5 miles from the hotel. Now with the wind behind us, temps near 70 and over 3000 feet of climbing done, my legs are finally feeling good. What is it with me and 50 mile warmups?


We beat a slow moving barge going upriver.


A post-ride treat to get the legs ready for high heels in the evening. Eek!


Dave with his mom in the hotel corridor. We all had rooms nearby each other so no escaping seeing each other for long.


Me along with two of Dave's more colorful siblings.


At the formal dinner Saturday evening, a toast to 50 years of marriage.


On a 6am Sunday flight back to Orlando. How in the world did this week go by so fast?


Thanks to my brother-in-law Tim for providing several of the pictures above so I could have more to share from our trip.

26 comments:

Karen said...

Great Pics! Thanks for sharing.

DaveP said...

It was great seeing everybody, it was wonderful being with you.

Petraruns said...

I can't believe you got so many workouts in with all that - no wonder you're exhausted. Looks like a great week though and you and Dave - it's just awwwwww.

Maria said...

wow, what a packed trip! awesome pictures.

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

lovely photos. thx for sharing!

Meg Runs said...

So cute! My favorite pictures you ask? The "colorful siblings," your "kids" on the bridge and you in the jacuzzi. Very fun...oh and I enjoyed the bus picture, too funny.
Glad you had fun, thanks for sharing your adventures, now you can finally recover from your vacation, right?

Missy said...

Well that looks like a rockin good time to me! I would love to have to put a jacket on right now, I think.

aron said...

looks like SO much fun!!! love all the pics :)

Formulaic said...

Those are some great pics!

11+ hours seems like a lot! But you make it seem like you are enjoying life so much so it is clearly working for you!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Amazing pics, and wow, you sure did pack in a lot of training during a busy few days! Well done :)

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Reading the account reminded me of many years ago when I stayed/visited my parents. After the long meals, the TV and all the other things one had to do, I would sneak out of the house and go for a run.
Was this the event that you had long planned on wearing a bikini at? It seemed a bit colder than I expected (August?). What was the family's reaction?

lindsay said...

looks like a fun reunion and gorgeous bike rides! i remember riding my bike to work last year in 60*, feels freezing for some reason! brrr.

X-Country2 said...

Looks like a great trip! Way to mix fam and training.

Brent Buckner said...

Wow, the Pratt family does things up big! Fabulous.

Regina said...

Do you ever sit still? You are everywhere! Great pics, and it looks like a fun time.

By the way, oo la la, you clean up very nicely! You look terrific!

Still coveting your Bike Friday!

WADDLER26.2 said...

Looks like that all had a great time. Love the photos. What an awesome view on the bike ride.

cami said...

cool matching orange outfits; :)
beautiful pictures too.

Irish Blue said...

Great pictures Shirley. I love that dress you wore.

Wow, looks like a nice family! All that time with Dave too, must have been heaven.

Sunshine said...

Your trip was a magnificent kaleidoscope of joy!!

Thanks for the pictures. I love that area and will enjoy your pictures again.. several times.

jen said...

Great pictures! What a fun trip. I'm sorry we didn't get to meet up but I'm very glad you got to enjoy our beautiful region! You should have been here a couple of weeks ago, it was 100+ degrees! I love clouds. :D The wind I could do without.

Thanks for sharing the pics and love the blue hats and family shots. We should all be so blessed to be happily married 50 years! Congrats to them.

Kaolee Hoyle said...

How fun! I love spending time with family.

BTW, I love that purple dress that you were wearing!

RoadBunner said...

Your family is SO cute with the visors :)

Yes, the weather is all relative. When I lived in Hawaii I thought 60 was FREEZING and now I think it is too warm :)

Smithposts said...

Love the family pics, everyone looks like they are having such a great time! Dave's parents celebrating 50 years is such a wonderful reason for the family to gather.

Jade Lady said...

what a wonderful celebration! 50 years..that's a mighty long time!

Susan said...

You have the most interesting travels! I love it.

Emily said...

Love the pics and tales of your travels. You were right where I spend a lot of time! My fiancee's family has a cabin just next to Skamania Lodge and I run around there all the time. We got engaged on Beacon Rock! We are also getting married near White Salmon in 4 short weeks. Sorry it was so cold, but it looks like you had fun!