Monday, May 04, 2009

Shirley Can't Surf



True, but I totally ripped last week's monster training wave:

M: REST
Tu: Swim 3000 yds (my "fast" 100 times are back!); Bike intervals.
W: Swim 3000 yds (best 300s workout to date!); Weights.
Th: Bike 40 mi negative split.
F: Run 16 mi @ 9:04 marathon pace; Easy Swim.
Sa: Run 10 mi incl 12K race (results below); Weights.
Su: Bike 60.8 mi (flat course, 18mph avg)/6 mi run @ 9:04 pace; Easy Swim.

Total hrs: 19:44. No dead legs -- W00T!!

I also got to enjoy some time with my sister who came to visit with her family this weekend before heading out on a cruise (the photo above is from their first stop in Key West; it's actually a very popular surf & skateboard store).


Sis and niece taking a dip in my backyard pool.



My niece just challenged me to a kicking contest. AGHHH!



Our pre-cruise/pre-race dinner where I made sure to fuel myself well. Read: I ate nearly everything in sight!



Before the 12K race not thinking about the 16 miles run the day before. LIAR!

Race plan: Start out conservatively and aim to finish strong. Here are my Garmin splits:

mi 1: 7:44, AHR 130;
mi 2: 7:44, AHR 169;
mi 3: 7:37, AHR 172;
mi 4: 7:30, AHR 175;
mi 5: 7:20, AHR 178;
mi 6: 7:31, AHR 178 (headwind);
mi 7: 7:15, AHR 180;
mi 7.4: 7:16 pace, AHR 181;


12K (7.4 mi) Race result: 56:20, 7:34 pace, 3rd Female (3/100, small race). Got a coffee mug and a $10 gift certificate -- Nice!!



Lisa, the woman I was chasing, is a well known sports nutritionist and former pro runner/triathlete. I don't mind her beating me. Seriously, she still looks like a freaking track star!


Next up, Fargo Marathon this Saturday, 5/9. Originally, I was hoping to run a 4-hourish marathon but based on my 12K race result, Coach Bill thinks a 3:35-3:40 marathon is doable, especially with a little more rest and 20-30 deg cooler temps. With the higher priority RnR Half Iron Tri just 3 weeks later, though, I'm going to shoot for a 3:45 and see how things go. Wish me luck.

PS - Today is hubby Dave's birthday!!

38 comments:

Petraruns said...

I'm wishing you luck you superstar! Fantastic work on the 12K - did I mention any envy here? Nice times girl. Don't burn yourself out in Fargo but go for gold - you're on fire at the moment so enjoy it!

Oz Runner said...

congrats on placing! very strong race, great splits....you may not be able to surf, but you can sure run!

Shannon said...

Let the races begin.....

Happy Birthday to Hubby!

Wendy said...

Happy Birthday Dave!!

Super 12K, just SUPER!

Have a fine day in Fargo.

WADDLER26.2 said...

First, Happy Birthday to Hubby!

What an awesome post with all positives. Great family, great training, and great race. You do have it going on!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Congratulations on a great 12K - cute mug too.

Happy B'day to Dave!!

Smithposts said...

Hi Shirley, Happy b'day to Dave!! Looks like a great visit with your sister and her family. Congrats on you awesome training week and 12K. Good luck at Fargo. Look forward to the results and pics.

Jenny Davidson said...

Those are some pretty good-looking numbers! Happy birthday to Dave, and have a great run in Fargo...

Molly said...

Wow, HUGE training week and you rocked it - great job!!! Good luck in the marathon!!!

Calyx Meredith said...

Happy Birthday Dave! And what a great week you had! Love the family picture - and I have to add - you look totally, fabulously fit. You always look lovely - but you look particularly good in the pic right before your 12k race. Have a great week!

Gotta Run said...

VERY NICE RACE!! Your tracking is dead on and all of your numbers are showing it. Keep listening to your coach.

Visit with your sis.... how nice :))

Runner Leana said...

Happy birthday Dave!!

Nice job on your race! All of these workouts really seem to be paying off for your. No doubt you will have a stellar marathon. Best of luck!!

Stef said...

WOW your training weeks are something to aspire to.

And I have to echo what Calyx said you look HAWT! No doubt!

Those two IM courses two weeks apart don't have a chance!

Have a wonderful week Shirley!

DaveP said...

Thanks for the B'Day wishes. The big question is should I get a PowerTap for my birthday?

MaineSport said...

That's a serious training week! Also great splits in the 12K. Good luck in Fargo.

RoadBunner said...

Oooh! Congrats on the race!

Haha about the sign! I grew up in Hawaii and NEVER went surfing once. Too afraid of getting sucked out to sea. Or eaten.

Susan said...

Happy Belated to Dave, you speedster! I can't wait to hear about Fargo. Good luck!

Kevin said...

That is one serious training week. Congrats on 3rd place against some serious competition

Spokane Al said...

Wow - you rocked on the 12k! Congratulations on a terrific race.

Brittany M. said...

You are awesome!! Way to go! I've not been around much lately, but it sure looks like you are putting out the work and getting the rewards!

Rainmaker said...

Awesome job - huge congrats!

lizzie lee said...

Congrats. The first race in my life was a 12K, some years ago (~11) with a 1:07 time. It was fun, and I got enchanted with races....

I agree with you in regards Pfitz and handling the high mileage. So far, it doesn't work for me, as I can handle around 35. Also I am not planning on starting a marathon plan any time soon, as I have a lot to build up. But I am glad to see how different plans work for different people.

Black Knight said...

Very nice post with beautiful pics. Congrats for the fast race and for the week with only one day of rest. Happy birthday to hubby and good luck at Fargo.

Vickie said...

Great race! And good luck this weekend! Now you can add another state to your list. Best of luck running a 3:45--or better!

lizzie lee said...

Re-reading I noticed the difference with Lisa Dorfman. 18 seconds... Wow... as you say, I would not mind either somebody like that beating me....

congrats again. great race... and back to back with a 16 miler...inspiring...makes me go out and do it.

I'll be thinking of you next Sat...Go get it...

Missy said...

Great pictures! Love to have family around too.

Yay for B2B, I'm totally stoked about it. I'm currently coming up with my master plan.

aron said...

congrats on the 12k!!!! awesome job :) good luck this weekend too!

sharon said...

So proud of you Shirley. Your times for the race are very impressive. I agree with the coach of the projected finish time for the marathon. You can do it!
P.S. How are you liking the new bike?

Dori said...

Wow, you're fast. Congratulations and good luck in Fargo. I'll be interested in your response to Fargo; I ran a half there a few years ago and really liked the way the residents embraced the race.

Sunshine said...

Go Shirley in Fargo. Have fun!
Happy Birthday, Dave.

The Alien said...

Nice!! Congratulations on that 3rd place!! Best of lucks on the marathon!!

Road Warrior said...

3rd place female is fantastic. You're such a rock star!

Girl on Top said...

Great time and great job on the placing.

X-Country2 said...

Racing racing everywhere! Congrats!

Happy birthday hubby.

RBR said...

Awesome hardware! Congratulations! I hope you have an awesome race tomorrow!

Your monster training weeks make me feel like a slacker *sigh* and my legs are always dead. :o(

Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Wishing you a belated great race at the Fargo marathon. I hope you surprise yourself. No doubt all the training is going to pay off.
BTW, I looked at your link regarding 100 push ups and I have started to see if I can get better as I am really bad at them and have been for many years. Quite important for swimming where strength rather than just laps is needed. I recommended your site to a FB friend as I could not think of a better one to motivate a lady in her forties.

peter said...

You killed that 12K, congrats. I been working for years on getting my 12K under an hour to no avail yet. Happy belated b'day to Dave.

Jade Lady said...

congrats on your 3rd place finish! Terrific.... haha..i figured you'd like that store!