Friday, May 22, 2009

Weather SNAFU

Wouldn't you know it.

Just one to two weeks ago, we were complaining about how hot it was getting and how much we needed rain. Lawns were turning brown. Wild fires were popping up, merging and filling the air with stinky smoke. And I'd finally decided to embrace the heat and become one of those athletes who revel in it. Well, "revel" may be a bit strong ...

So what does Mother Nature do?

This week she delivered a stalled cold front. For days temps have been well below normal and we've gotten a LOT of rain. Good for yards and putting out the wildfires but parts of Central Florida are now a No Wake Zone.



Fortunately, the worst of the flooding (like pictured above) is northeast of where I am, but NO heat training for me this week. ARGH!

In fact, running indoors was warmer than outdoors (and I could get in some hill training as well). The poor lifeguards, though. Unless there's lightening in the area or the rain is coming down so hard that they can't see the bottom of the pool, the pool stays open. Fortunately, I got there on Tuesday before things got too bad and, not surprisingly, I was the only swimmer there. You are not my favorite swimmer to guard, the lifeguard told me after I'd finished my workout. (She was the same one there when I was the only one to show up back in January when we had some 40-deg days. While I swam, she did laps around the pool to stay warm.)

One ray of sunshine this week, however, was meeting up with fellow bloggers Jenny & Brent for dinner. Jenny had just completed Florida 70.3 last weekend (before the storm hit) and they have been enjoying shorter than usual lines at the Disney parks.

Dave, me, Jenny & Brent at Carrabbas.

We'll be hopefully drying out some over Memorial Day weekend. Hope you all have a great holiday, rain or shine!

20 comments:

Wendy said...

If it's not one thing, it's another!!!

Glad you got some training in, and had a nice dinner with Brent and Jenny. (Because after the 70.3 comes the theme park tri!)

Stef said...

You have a great long weekend too Shirley. And wow that water picture is really something!

X-Country2 said...

Look at all that water! What a mess. Have a great long weekend, and I hope your workouts get more convienent.

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

It's raining here too. Too bad mother nature doesn't do things in moeration...too dry...too wet...

Don said...

We've had bizarre weather too. But today was just perfect. Right now 75 degrees.

jen said...

Have a great holiday weekend, I hope it's nice there!

Missy said...

Weather has been so dang weird, hot, cold, dry, wet all in the same freakin day!

Love that you got to meet some bloggy peeps.

Shannon said...

Happy Memorial Day! I hope you don't float away!!!!

Runner Leana said...

Wow, talk about a change in weather for sure! What did she mean by telling you that you aren't her favorite swimmer to guard? I guess because you show up to swim during inclement weather, eh? Good for you for getting the work done!!

Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

We have been threatened with rain here in Kaohsiung although hardly any has actually fallen. Some rain would be good otherwise if there are water shortages in the summer, pools will be closed.
I am actually learning something from the 100 PUs program that you referred to on your site, and I am actually moving up to Week 2 of the easiest level. May not seem like much, but it is definitely a clear improvement over where I was at two or three weeks ago. Don't tell me you are doing 100 on your fingertips every morning.

DaveP said...

Well, we did have a nice "beach ride" today. Can you imagine if that was dry?

Jade Lady said...

Whoa - that's some serious water sitting on the street - thank goodness it wasn't your street!

Have a great memorial day wkend!

Sunshine said...

No wake in Fargo... and then no wake in Florida.
Glad you are getting in your good training.

MaineSport said...

A friend of mine who was there described the rain as "biblical." Why not do your long swim down the street?

ShirleyPerly said...

MS: I wish I could! Unfortunately, though, standing water like that is the result of storm drains and sewers backing up.

RBR said...

Crazy weather every where! I am glad you are not flooded! Too bad on your heat training, but if you are like me that always sounds much better in theory than actual practice. :o)

Brent Buckner said...

It was great to meet up with you and Dave again!

Petraruns said...

Girl! Just when I thought you were going to lead the way! I can't believe all that rain but I guess (some of) you needed it..

Hardcore though - swimming in all that weather. You remain a motivation!

Vickie said...

I have long ago learned--You can't trust Mother Nature! Its a good thing we as athletes are so flexible. Wow, that flooding is as bad as we had here!

Susan said...

Wow - that is some srious rain. I'm glad you're dry!

And I have never heard of anyone being upset about NOT doing any "heat training." Now that is funny!