Sunday, May 17, 2009

From Fargo to the Furnace

The smile frozen on my face in Fargo :-)

It's no secret. Nearly everyone races better when the weather is cooler. Even those of us who train in warm climates and begin shivering when the thermometer drops below 70.

But there are those who like it hot, who look at weather forecasts praying for race day temps to be sweltering so that others might wilt in the heat and the competition then gets interesting. No, not me!

Like my coach.

But this week I realized I need to be more like him. Saturday, Dave and I went out on a hilly 68 mile bike ride (3134 ft of climbing) and the heat index was close to 90 when we got done. I headed out for a 4 mile brick run and seemed to have the energy but could not find my legs. Tried looking on some flat sections, in the shade, on some hills, but they were nowhere to be found. Ugh, someone please stick a fork in me, I'm done!

So from now on, NO more early morning runs to escape the heat. NO more indoor runs unless absolutely necessary. NO more weight workouts in my home gym with the thermostat set below 85. NO more whining about doing yard work and spending extra time outdoors. Mother Nature show me the heat!

After all, my "A" race this year is The Great Floridian, an iron tri that is usually hot, humid and hilly (to Floridians). What was I thinking?! And the upcoming RnR half iron tri, well, that is sorta like its evil half sister.

Time to get working on wilt-proofing. Any other hot training ideas welcome!

This week's post-marathon workouts:
Swim - 3 (8000 yds, right shoulder acting up a bit*)
Bike - 2 (85.24 mi, skipped bike intervals b/c right quad sore**)
Run - 3 (20.04 mi)
Strength - 2
*Possibly tweaked it carrying my luggage or too many high-fives during the marathon.
**Most likely from lunges & squats during a weight workout, not running.

19 comments:

DaveP said...

Embrace the heat! That being said, I still hate it.

Rainmaker said...

That was the biggest thing I learned running my first marathon. I ran all my long runs at night in the cool darkness. Race day...not so dark, nor cool. :(

Missy said...

....and drive around town with the windows up and the heat (or at least no A/C) on! Yep, we do it here too to get acclimated faster. OR HOT yoga if you can stand it!

Calyx Meredith said...

"Wilt-proofing" is my new favorite word!! I need me some of that. :D Go Shirley!

Jade Lady said...

A good reminder for me ...I've been hanging out in the gym for my runs. June in Austin is usually pretty brutal - and that's my first tri...

I wanna be wilt-proof too!

Vickie said...

I have to wonder if I will ever get hot weather here to train in. I keep saying "when the weather gets better" but am starting to wonder if it ever will! I have been to Clermont about a dozen times, and to the Great Floridian (as a spectator) 4 times. Its in October, third week usually, and it was still so hot my feet got sunburned to blisters. And yes, it is hilly. But it does cool down after dark!

Petraruns said...

I read your comment re this on another blog this week and I hadn't thought about this but of course - doh! - you're right. Training in the heat must give you an advantage right? Tips from the stars..

Thank you for your long lovely email - I am still digesting but will get back to you on it. Thank you!

RoadBunner said...

I hate the heat, too. Usually in SF it is a passing freak thing so I try to run early to avoid it. If I had a hot race coming up I would try to train in it more, though. I am such a warm weather weenie. When I go home to Hawaii I have to start running at 6 am in the dark to be done before the sun gets too high.

MaineSport said...

Kinda tough to acclimate for the heat living in Maine....Number one rule for the run @ GFT- don't look across the lake.

Runner Leana said...

68 mile ride with 3134 ft of climbing at 90F? Nicely done Shirley!!

Calgary is not cooperating with warm weather training right now. And I think that is why I have such a tough time running Disney after training in the cold all through November and December.

Gotta Run said...

Show you the heat... I LOVE IT!!!!

Viv said...

Acclimating to fire is what I call summer here. Great strong pics!!

lizzie lee said...

HA HA... You made me laugh. I ran a 5K last year in SoCal at 74F and almost collapsed...65F is kinda hard to manage for this Seattleite that once lived in the Tropics... I wonder how I could run there... Oh, I forgot... we adapt...

Girl on Top said...

Nice legs.

You're scaring me since I prob. will suffer at my half. It's the first weekend in June. Pray for me!

X-Country2 said...

The only good thing about the heat is the tan. :o)

Great race report below. I LOVE all the pictures. No idea how you bust out that kind of time AND stop to snap all the fun things tyou do.

Cliff said...

hot humid and hilly? Sounds like a lovely race ;D

aron said...

"i am not going to be afraid of the heat, i am not going to be afraid of the heat" i keep telling myself that :) be like shirley and use her secret weapon!

you are awesome :)

peter said...

Great recovery training after your Fargo run!

Susan said...

As much as I hate the idea of all that heat... I agree, it's probably best for training.

Here, it is getting so darn hot and humid! Yuck. But there's no avoiding it!