Monday, December 10, 2007

IMAZ Decision

Well, folks, it's been an agonizing couple weeks. Since the announcement of the new November Ironman Arizona race, I've gone back and forth trying to decide whether to sign up. There were as many reasons why I wanted to do it as there were why I shouldn't so I finally decided to consult the holy rolly decision maker of my household, the ever loved 8-ball.

But with 5 marathons already on my 2008 schedule and the long-time 50 states marathon goal as my priority, I needed a sound plan and a coach to help me get there. One local tri club coach basically said forget it (he felt no more than one marathon could be done the same year as training for an ironman). Two good online coaches, however, were more open to the idea. One recommended an excellent custom program for $395/month (yikes!). The other was still talking it over with his staff when it happened ...

The race sold out this morning. C'est la vie.

15 comments:

Iron Eric said...

The race sold out...guess it was meant to be?

I think most athletes who sign up for an Ironman race have the same thoughts. It kinda funny when they do sign up..its "Oh crap...what did I just do?"

Maybe a goal for 2009?

ShirleyPerly said...

Yeah, a part of me feels like I should have just signed up and figured out how to train for it later, like so many do. But I wanted to do it right and not go broke. With the one option I had, I figured IMAZ would have cost me ~$6000 (entry fee, 1-yr coaching commitment, travel expenses, etc).

Wendy said...

The right race will come along.

TJ said...

5 marathons in one year! Wow! i couldn't imagine taking on ironman in addition to all that. you did the right thing.
and ironman races aren't going anywhere.
ironman florida 2009...whadaya say?

ShirleyPerly said...

Wendy: Thanks, I think you're right. Just need to be patient.

TJ: 2009 will probably not be any easier for me marathon-wise but I'm going to do Gulf Coast Tri in 2008 and then decide (maybe I can move some 2009 marathons to 2010). It would be nice to cast off the DNF monkey where he jumped on ...

MarathonChris said...

Well that decision got made for you...

Sounds like you made the right choice, all things considered.

PLANET3RRY said...

Curse the 8-ball, it was too late. Although it did save you a bunch of cash. But at least now you know and you can concentrate on the schedule now... planning, replanning, setting goals and getting ready for an awesome 2008!

BreeWee said...

OH boy! Well, from here "chin up" and just focus on those marathons! That was a goal, a BIG one you had... STICK with it! Ironman will ALWAYS be there and maybe you can have an AWESOME Ironman race if you focus on less marathons the year you do it :)

BUT I think as tuff as you are you could have tackled 10 marathons and an Ironman in one year!! Ha-your body would hate you !

Brent Buckner said...

IM will still be there!

ShirleyPerly said...

Thanks Chris, T3rry, Bree & Brent. Today I'm feeling much better about it. I'll just work on getting faster in the meantime :-)

IrishBlue said...

Darn it. Oh well, wasn't meant to be this year. Sounds like you have a plan though. Five marathons will keep you busy.

Susan said...

I agree that it wasn't meant to be. You're richer for it! :)

There's always next time. Now you can "rest." HA!

Susan said...

Rest and "just do" 5 marathons. LOL

Rural Girl said...

Sometimes no decision, is a decision as was the case here.
Done and over with...on to the next adventure!

But, when you do sign up for another IM, I have great confidence that you will succeed.

nylisa said...

WOW! 5 marathons next year?! At least you can start mentally preparing for it now!