Friday, December 14, 2007

Ho Ho Ho! A Christmas Meme

Growing up in a Buddhist family, Christmas was something we celebrated just to go along with everyone else. My parents put up a tree and decorations and wrapped gifts for us when we were little, but by the time we were teenagers, we were often just given cash to buy our own gifts (less work, less fuss, wrapping optional). And as we got older, the tree and decorations came out less and less.

Then I married Dave, who used to have "BAH HUMBUG" strung across his office doorway at Xmas. I decided I'd better take charge before it became just another day!

1. Wrapping paper or gift bag? Neither, most of our gifts are shipped/given directly unwrapped (but usually in a box or envelope) or sent via email.
2. Real tree or artificial? N/A
3. When do you put up your tree? N/A
4. When do you take down your tree? N/A
5. Do you like eggnog? Nope. Eggs, milk and me don't mix.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? Not sure, but I remember having a blast playing with a Hot Wheels set one Xmas. Or was it my brother's?
7. Do you have a nativity scene? Not that I know of.
8. Hardest person to buy for? No one. Everyone we know loves gift cards.
9. Easiest person to buy for? Moi :-)
10. Worst Christmas gift you've ever received? I once got a coconut bra and grass skirt at a Secret Santa gift exchange. At the time, it seemed pretty useless.
11. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail. It's tradition.
12. Favorite Christmas movie? Die Hard. Yes, it qualifies. Yippy-ki-yay!
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Whenever the right gift comes to mind but usually when I have a deadline to meet.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Recycling is good.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Sees Candy if I'm lucky to get any.
16. White or colored lights? N/A
17. Favorite Christmas song? Snoopy's Theme. It's not really a Xmas song but it reminds me of the Peanuts show I used to watch as a kid around Xmas.
18. Traveling for Christmas or stay home? Usually we travel and often to get out of having to go elsewhere.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's? Umm ...
20. Angel or Star on top of tree? N/A
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? People getting stressed over it.
23. What I love most about Christmas? Dave takes some time off from work.

And to keep things mellow, I'm not tagging anyone else but feel free to do one if you want. That's what I did :-)

PS - The poll below will stay open until I figure out how to close it.

15 comments:

MarathonChris said...

I like it...I got the questions you posted in an email from my sister - fun to fill out!

Travel safe and have a marvelous holiday time :-)

Nancy Toby said...

I love #22!

Happy holidays to you and yours, whatever you celebrate (or don't!!)!!

akshaye said...

I love Snoopys theme too! And the whole Charlie Browns Christmas..

Thanks for stopping by my blog

Susan said...

I like your list! This is going to be a gift card Christmas for Chasen (and I'm glad he doesn't read your blog to see this!)

They're just so darn easy. For example, he wants new clothes, but I really want HIM to pick them out. So a gift card it is! And he really wants one particular tool set... but I can't remember exactly what it is! So again the gift card is perfecto. Ah the modern age...

ShirleyPerly said...

I used to use GiftCertificates.com so people could actually even pick out which store to get the gift card from but now they charge a ridiculous $3.95 fee for each one (used to be only $0.95) and so now I get them directly from the store. My sister is the only one to provide me with an Amazon wishlist of all the stuff my niece might want for Xmas. That was easy too.

GeekGirl the Iron said...

Ah, you don't have to be Buddhist family to be sick of the whole holiday stuff. I think moms get sick of them first because they do most of the work :-) My mom went on strike and refused to do Thanksgiving starting when I was around 19 or so. We just went to a local club and ate their Thanksgiving buffet. i think it was actually nicer, we were more focused on being together than cleaning and preparing.

ShirleyPerly said...

Yeah, to me, the holidays are about spending extra time with loved ones. I wish I could somehow get Dave to leave the Blackberry at work though ...

IrishBlue said...

Hey, thanks for your list. It's always interesting to hear what kind of holiday traditions people have, especially when there are different religious backgrounds involved.

I just filled this out last week when someone emailed it. I'll have to blog it.

PLANET3RRY said...

"I am an exceptional thief, Mrs. McClane. And since I'm moving up to kidnapping, you should be more polite."

skoshi said...

Loved your blog.
In her early childhood, my mother was raised Bhuddist by her grandmother in Japan, then at some point was raised Lutheran. I was raised by my father--very BAH! Humbug. The only holiday we celebrated in the house was Chanukah and birthdays (no candy for Halloween--had to trick or treat for UNICEF instead). Keep in mind that being Jewish is passed on through the mother. I have no idea where that leaves me, but I do put up one string of colored lights on a small cherry tree in the front--as a contribution to the neighborhood and because I think they're pretty. I exchange gifts with those closest because I love them. I send out about 30 cards, with handwritten letters, as a gift to those who live far from me. Always by mail (I happen to support post offices and libraries), sending best wishes for the season and the New Year--and that means you too.

lizzie lee said...

Hi Shirley, just a quick note to say hi and thanks for all the good advice during my pre and post-marathon.

I am in Bangkok right now after 10 days in beautiful Thailand Islands. I'll be back in the US on January 3rd.

Have a blessed Holidays, and the best for you in 2008.

sincere-lee
lizzie lee

Steve Stenzel said...

I hate #22 too...

CewTwo said...

And I thought it was just me!

I'm called the Bah Humbug guy at work. It just never seems right to celebrate the holidays at work when there is so much work to do.

At home, my family calls on Christmas but we stopped exchanging gifts a long time ago. It just did not seem to be worth the effort. A phone call is so much more personal anyway. We all have the money we need to buy what we want, so it is no big thing!

I do have a tree. It is covered in a large trash liner for 50 weeks of every year, but we bring it out, pull the liner off, straighten it up a bit and plug it in. Christmas!

peter said...

I have 5 siblings, and awhile ago they tried to stop gift giving at Xmas by having everyone agree to some once-every-6-years gift giving "detail", which I refused to participate in. Do what you want I said, I'll just keep sending gfts each year myself. I was resented for that. I stop giving nephews and neices gifts at 18, even if they're home for their Xmas. This is misunderstood as stopping caring. I always mail out my gifts on the day after Thanksgiving every year (I shop all year) which, can you believe it, makes people irritated. (Heh heh.) I have an artificial tree but I always pick a cold, raw night to go Christmas tree "shopping" from lot to lot, getting pine sap on my hands, shaking likely prospects, wiping my runny nose on my gloves, before I go home to set up my aluminun tree. Oops, gotta go, my Jewish friend is coming over to help me decorate my tree. Christmas is beaucoup complicated.

Ellie Hamilton said...

Sounds like my kind of Christmas! The less fuss, the better.

The coconut bra and grass skirt "seemed useless at the time" -- have they since then become useful? If so, do we want to know in what context?