Thursday, November 15, 2007

Meme, Say What???

Lisa, who recently completed her first marathon and is an awesome graphics designer, tagged me to do a meme.

What's that, you say?

As near as I can tell, it's a fun chain-letter like way of getting to know others better and making new friends. But don't ask me why they call it a meme.

Fortunately, this one does not ask you to provide as much details about yourself as I've seen on some blogs. Here are the basic rules for this meme (cutting and pasting from Lisa's blog):

• Link to your tagger, and post these rules on your blog.
• Share 5 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird.
• Tag 5 people at the end of your post by their names and links to their blogs.
• Let them know they are TAGGED by leaving a comment on their blog.

My 5 facts:

1. Orlando is the furthest inland I've ever lived for any length of time (about an hour from the Atlantic Ocean). Other places include the S.F. Bay Area, San Diego and Monterey, CA.

2. I have a masters degree in Oceanography but am very prone to motion/sea sickness and until very recently did not even like swimming. I was into the physics and computer modeling side of things.

3. I used to play piano competitively until I was 16 (started around age 7) and enjoy dabbling in drawing, painting and computer graphics (photo above: my electric piano, painted wine glass, fish and flower murals, tri t-shirt graphic). There just never seems to be enough time to do all my hobbies.

4. My wedding was pretty weird. Dave and I got married on top of the Naval Postgraduate School building where we met and both worked. I selected the music: Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries as the processional and Star War's The Throne Room as the recessional. Dave made our wedding cake.

5. I was a 2004 Balance Bar Grant recipient and appeared in the May 2005 issue of Runner's World for my crazy 21 Run Salute campaign in which I ran 21 marathons in 9 months to raise $21K for families of fallen service members and to support our troops. Now I'm just a slacker (but keeping it fun). Added: Fundraising is one of the hardest things I've ever done!

Lastly, I'm tagging the following five fantastic females:

MarathonChris - marathoner and master of juggling 20 things at once!
Christina - my cute little niece who's always on the go!
Molly - a fleet-footed, four-footed female with her own blog!
Petra - marathoner and an Alicia Silverstone look-a-like!
Bree - super mom and a sub-10 2007 Kona Ironman finisher!

GO GIRLS!!!

17 comments:

BreeWee said...

You got me! I will do this :) thanks!
Bree

MarathonChris said...

This sounds like fun! Now to think of 5 interesting things.

Dave made the cake???? ;-)

ShirleyPerly said...

He sure did. It was a lemon cake with chocolate frosting. Using icing, he decorated it with an ascii smiley :-)

We splurged on the honeymoon though!

PLANET3RRY said...

Star Wars music during the wedding... that is pretty darn cool. Very geeky but very cool!

lizzie lee said...

21 marathons in 9 months? After Dean Karnazes being my hero, you are my heroine!!!!!

Guao, what a fact!

sincere-lee
lizzie lee

ShirleyPerly said...

Big time, T3rry,

Dave = computer geek
Shirley = math/physics geek
Dave + Shirley = UBER GEEKS!!

Thanks Lizzie!

Susan said...

I am also probe to seasickness. Not fun!

Brent Buckner said...

Play piano competitively? Like _Dueling Banjos_?

re: meme
The blogging use of the term is pretty much as you understand it. For the original coining see: link

Cliff Tam said...

You had Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries for your wedding? Heh i would never expect to hear that at a wedding :D

I look forward to tomorrow running/hiking in -5 degrees. In the woods, it is usually not as cold b/c there is no wind.

ShirleyPerly said...

Brent: Thanks for the wiki link. Have you seen the movie The Competition? Some of my former competitors are probably now either music teachers or professional pianists.

Cliff: I just always get excited when I hear that song. It's the ringer on my cell phone too :-)

Rural Girl said...

Multitalented for sure.
Love your new picture on your profile.

Petraruns said...

Yikes! Don't think I can match what you've done sweetie... 21 marathons in 9 months? Marry a man who makes cakes? Art? Science? You are one impressive lady ShirleyPerly - every time you post I am more in awe..

CewTwo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CewTwo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CewTwo said...

AH... I see you did come up with five items!

And... They're Great!

CewTwo said...

AH... I see you did come up with five items!

And... They're Great!

CewTwo said...

Plus... I thought it was funny. I took your advice to google "tv server problem accessing port 31099" and found my own blog from today in the first page of the search!