Thursday, November 29, 2007

Last Race of 2007

And, boy, am I glad. It's been really hard for me (yes, me!) to stay motivated to train after my main 2007 race, Miami Man, 3 weeks ago. In fact, I didn't run for 10 days afterwards until the Thanksgiving 10-miler last week. Thank goodness I signed up for that race!

I finished it in 1:17:51 (7:47 avg pace), nearly 4 minutes slower than two years ago. I could blame it on the 10-degree warmer weather we had this year but, let's face it, I've really not been running much this year and what little I did was nearly all easy endurance type of runs. (OTOH, my swimming improved greatly and together with a better nutrition plan, my half iron tri race times dropped significantly.)

But the 10-miler did give me an idea on how fast I might be able to complete my last race for 2007, the Las Vegas Marathon, this Sunday: 3:39.

Of course, that assumes proper marathon training. HA! I haven't done any long runs since the Lewis & Clark Siouxland Marathon back in October.

So, since 3:39 is a far cry from a PR anyway, and I'm really not in the mood to race hard again so soon, I'm just going to relax and shoot for another sub-4 marathon race time in Vegas. There'll be entertainment along the course (Blue Man Group again at mile 2 3!), running Elvises, and Rural Girl will also be shooting for a sub-4. No one will be waiting for me at the finish line so I can take my sweet time or decide later to pick up my pace for a negative split. My main goal for this race will be to have fun!

Good luck to Susan, MarathonChris, Maddy, Jen, Terry, Annette and everyone else racing this weekend!!

11 comments:

jen said...

What a fun race! Have a great time out there and run strong. Good luck!! :)

Cliff Tam said...

Must be smoething put in that turkey that prevents u from running :).

A 3:39 marathon sounds good to me.

Brent Buckner said...

Good goal... don't hang around too long at mile 2!

ShirleyPerly said...

Oops, I meant BMG at mile 3, not 2. Luckily, they're only playing a 45 minute set ;-)

BreeWee said...

GO Shirley GO!
I am so excited for you! Last race of 2007- make it a good one, leave nothing on the course... then recover and enjoy the well-deserved holidays!!

Ps- try the toy thing... ha ha ha

marathonchris said...

Have fun sounds like a great plan!!! I think you really enjoyed the last race when you did that.

Looking foward to your race report!! :-)

ShirleyPerly said...

Thanks everyone! It'd be hard to run much less than I have this year so Vegas will be a good test to see where I'm at going into 2008. Believe it or not, I'm considering doing some short races (as in 5K & 10Ks) next year -- YIPES!!

PLANET3RRY said...

Have fun in Vegas!

Bigun said...

ha, it's too late, but look for Johnny Tri, Geek Girl and Sweet Baboo in Elvis costumes as well!

Susan said...

GOOD LUCK Shirley!!!! I can't wait to read all about it!

Annette said...

I hope you are having a great time in Vegas and a great race!! Thanks for the encouragment for our race yesterday. WE did have one thing in common... lot's of Elvis :)