Saturday, November 10, 2007

All Marked and Ready to Go!

Well, here I am down in Miami. Interestingly, they body-marked us when we went to check in our bikes today. I guess they assume we won't take a shower the night before the race. Luckily, I brought an extra Sharpie with me :-)

The weather forecast looks great, especially compared to what I had at the Health First Tri about a month ago. The morning will start out in the low 60's and get up close to 80 around noon. Wind is forecast to be 8-12 mph, manageable, but less would be nicer.

The big question is whether wetsuits will be allowed. They have been in the past but only will be if the water is 78 or less degrees, which won't be determined until race morning when the official water temperature is taken. Some of the folks were saying that it's borderline. I hope they'll be allowed!!

But either way, my goal is to finish this race in under 6 hours. I completed my last half iron distance race, Florida 70.3, last May, in 6:07:43. My main focus will be to get my swim time in the 50-55 minute range (was 1:06 without a wetsuit last time!).

I'll let you know how it goes!

8 comments:

Susan said...

Good Luck Shirley! I look forward to reading your report.

BreeWee said...

Go Get em' girl! Rootin' for you from the Big Island... write a report... my uncle is racing tomorrow too so I will have my family look for you and give me your updates too! HAVE FUN!

Petraruns said...

We're behind you Shirley - thinking of you all day! Go for it!

Wendy said...

Go Shirley!!!

peter said...

Good luck today, Shirley! I enjoyed your account of the practice swim across the lake. So much to keep track of! Swimming straight, shoulder fatigue, what's the water temp, what's IN the water. That's why I stick to running, no sense of adventure.

Maddy said...

Your race is underway as I write this. I'm sending you good fast vibes!

I'm looking forward to the report!

Bigun said...

I'm sure you are out rocking it right now! GL and have FUN!

MarathonChris said...

Congrats on your race Shirley (since I am writing this after you have completed it). Looking forward to the race report!!! :-)