Monday, June 15, 2009

What a Difference a Day Makes!

And 2000 miles.

Summer has definitely arrived in Orlando and my heat training has been in full force the past couple weeks. On Saturday we rode 65 miles and it was 87 degs (heat index 92) when we got done and I headed out for my 5-mile brick run. Will I wilt like I did a month ago?

NO! Much better this time. But, no faster ... 9:16 avg pace for 5 miles vs. 9:11 for 4 miles. However, my average heart rate was lower and I didn't feel like I was about to die at the end. Progress!

In fact, I even had some left over energy to mow my yard a few hours later. YAY!


Which is good because on Sunday morning we were headed to San Diego for the week. Double YAY!!

There we were greeted by a beautiful breezy, sunny day. Perfect for sailing and a 12 mile run along the San Diego harbor waterfront. 70 degs, 8:27 avg pace :-)


From our hotel balcony we've got fantastic 180 deg scenic views. Here's looking towards Point Loma and more sailboats.


A big cruise boat going past headed out to sea. Maybe one day I'll go on a cruise when I've got nothing better to do :-P


We've got a noisy neighbor down below us, though. But she has couple cute chicks that are amusing to look at so we'll forgive her.


Coincidentally, Dave and I both used to live in the SD area back in the 80's. He was a Marine 2nd Lt. stationed at MCRD and I attended UCSD for grad school a couple years later. Always fun to come back for a visit and hit some of the old places we used to both go to, like Rubios, which is no longer the hole-in-the-wall fish taco joint it used to be 20 years ago but still a favorite.

Hopefully, I won't loose too much of my heat tolerance in just a week. This cool 65-70 deg weather is spoiling me really bad!

Last week's workouts (still taking things pretty easy):
Swimming (2) 2800 yds
Cycling (3) 121 mi
Running (2) 17 mi
Strength training (2)

24 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Enjoy being back in SD and the reprieve from the heat!! Lovely pics, makes me look forward to my trip to SF in Oct even more!! :)

X-Country2 said...

San Diego is on my top 5 places to live some day. It just look so PRETTY!

Jenny Davidson said...

Lovely!

Gotta Run..Gotta Ride said...

heat tolerance - you got that right!! Things are starting to heat up here in SC as well.

Enjoy your visit. Love revisiting places from the past.

lindsay said...

i love sd! hope you can get some good running in around town!

Katherine said...

So beautiful. I do miss the ocean.

DaveP said...

I still think it's kind of warm out here. ;-)
Dave

RoadBunner said...

I give you credit for the warm weather training. Great job!

Wow, I've never seen a seagull chick before. Very cute!

Wendy said...

Glad the wilting process has been halted in its tracks!

San Diego is a lovely city.

Road Warrior said...

Enjoy SD and rubios. It's a huge chain now!

Missy said...

Steaming up here in TN! The kind where you just walk outside and get wet standing there. Blech. BUT, I'm trying to suck it up and get used to it. It's not passing any time soon.

Rainmaker said...

I love San Diego, could definitely live there. Enjoy the time there, such great training grounds!

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

I love san diego - especially this time of year when it's hot elsewhere!

RBR said...

You are getting so fast and strong!

I LOVE the baby seagull shots. Hard to believe, but I have never seen them that little. Adorable!

Enjoy your vacation!

Stef said...

LOVE San Diego! Have a wonderful rest of your stay!

aron said...

YAY SD!! hope you are having a great time :)

peter said...

SD is nice. That's where my parents got married (during the war, the big one). So I guess I had my start there.

Regina said...

yeah! I am so glad to have found your blog! I've been an athlete all my life, but this is my first year doing triathlons at the age of 42. You are an inspiration, thanks!

I'll keep following you for sure!

Love SD, hubby and I just talked about moving there a couple of weeks ago; beats NYC!

David said...

I'm working on wilt-proofing too!

Hope you're enjoying yourselves in San Diego!

Smithposts said...

Hope the trip and workouts are going well! Enjoy the cool temps, the south is blanketed in thunderstorms, 90's and high humidity!!

Susan said...

Oh I am very jealous of those temps!

Enjoy the beauty.

BreeWee said...

Nice fotos, oh those seagulls! Thinking of you today, Karlyn is having one of her local pool meets! Wish you were here for the Kona half marathon (or in your case the full).

Hugs!
Bree

lizzie lee said...

Beautiful summer time and place to be!!! Lovely view. I didn't have the chance to go there while hubby in SoCal. He hates SD. Rational? He was in Camp Pendleton, and though he is a proud marine, he didn't like it there....

Brent Buckner said...

Seems like a fabulous place for a getaway!