Sunday, June 21, 2009

Back to Reality!

And 90 bazillion sticky degrees in Central Florida. Bleah!

But, man, San Diego was great. Here I am on Harbor Island with downtown SD in the background. Besides two blissful runs on the island (7 & 8 miler, 8:44 & 8:19 pace, respectively) and a refreshing bike interval workout on Fiesta Island, a popular time trial venue, I racked up an additional 30-40 miles without even trying. Shhhh, don't tell Coach ;-)

But slow walks and easy pedaling don't count as workouts, do they? After all, I didn't even break a sweat doing them in that nice cool weather. Let's call it sightseeing :-)


And there was lots to see ... all sorts of Navy and civilian boats moving through the harbor, fixed and rotary wing aircraft taking off at the Navy Amphib base on Coronado Island across from the hotel. Dave, the geek he is, constantly quizzed me on the various types of military vessels and aircraft. Fortunately, our marriage is not based on my knowledge of that stuff ...


This was the third trip to San Diego for my little travel bike. No more backaches riding rental bikes that are too big for me, no outrageous oversize luggage fees and no excuses for not getting bike workouts done while on travel. YAY!!


A fun bike ornament I saw atop a pole. The wind made the wheels spin like a pinwheel. Hmm, I think I could use some wheels like that ...


But do I need a yacht? Nah, I think I'll pass on this offer. Truth is I get deathly seasick and would never buy a boat, unless perhaps they offered a condo, in which case I'd keep the condo and sell the boat.


Swam at the Point Loma Y. They let me in as a guest for free since I'm a Central FL Y member and thank goodness it was an outdoor pool (I *loathe* indoor pools). But it was 25m long, not 25y. Who knew an extra 2.3 yards could make such a difference?!


And to wrap up our week, we had a wonderful dinner at Roy's Restaurant with some long-time friends who both live in the SD area (photo L to R: Suze, Dave, me and June). Great excuse to come back for more visits!

But first, back to the swamp for a few days and then off to paradise. Got the Kona half marathon on Sunday, 6/28, and some serious catching up to do on my blog reading. Really, I haven't forgotten about you all!

Good luck to everyone doing IMCDA today, especially RBR, Formulaic and TriToBeFunny!!!

This past week's workouts:
Swimming (3) 5574 yds
Cycling (2) 73.6 mi
Running (2) 16 mi
Strength training (4!)

26 comments:

jen said...

San Diego weather just can't be beat! I hear you guys are boiling up down in FL, thankfully you aren't sticking around too long (get it, sticking?? Cause it's so hot and humid... sigh). Have a safe trip and Good luck on the Half Marathon next weekend!

WADDLER26.2 said...

Awesome photos.

Missy said...

You could get wheels like that...bet you'd go faster!

I'm heading out to run at 5am to beat the heat in TN too. The humidity is a killer.

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

Looks like you had a lovely time in San Diego!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

love that bike ornament, and i went back and looked at your post about your bike, that is so awesome, I had no idea that was possible! glad you had a great trip :)

lindsay said...

looks like a great time in sd! the bike windmill thingy is cute. man san diego and hawaii... i am jealous!

Regina said...

Wow! That bike is badass!

Shannon said...

Glad you're back to the sticky training.....yuck!

X-Country2 said...

What a great trip! Beautiful pics. Good luck with your remaining travels.

Wendy said...

I am enamoured with both your travel bike and the bike ornament!

Glad you had a good trip!

Gotta Run..Gotta Ride said...

You are one busy girl. Thanks for taking us along. Looks like you are having the best time!!

Runner Leana said...

Looks like a great trip! I'm sure the travel bike must come in handy. Safe travels!

Susan said...

What a trip! Any destination that offers beautiful scenery, friends AND great workouts is a place for me! :)

Vickie said...

What a great holiday for you. Love the bike! Everyone needs one.

DaveP said...

Actually, it was Naval Air Station, North Island. The Naval Amphibious Base, Coronado was down further.

Rural Girl said...

That is a nifty little bike.
Have fun in HI. Send us all a 'wish you were here' note while you're there!

Rainmaker said...

Very nice pool! It is indeed funny how much of a difference in both time and feel a 25y pool compares to a 25m pool.

Jade Lady said...

Welcome back to hot and sticky! I love that bike statue - esp the hair!

Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

I was interested to look at your travel bike through the link to your previous article. Foldable bikes have become a craze in Taiwan and they vary in price and quality. My own concern is how to travel by bike for days (possibly weeks) on end without any support vehicles, but with more than just money and bike tools on me. And Jocelyn is doing more biking now, so I would have to carry her luggage as well, especially since her bike is smaller and not designed to carry many things.

aron said...

glad you had a great trip in SD!! have fun in hawaii this weekend too and good luck in the half marathon!!

Sunshine said...

Cute bike ornament. Appreciating your interesting pictures, as always.
Who would have thought Duluth and central Florida would have 90+ temps in common. Whew!

Petraruns said...

Wow that just looks beautiful. you sound so chilled out as well! Have a great trip to Kona - can't wait for the posts. Big kiss, me

skoshi said...

Mmm...Roys!
Good food.
San Diego looks great. Last time I was there (Jan) it was a bit drizzly. Sounds like you're having a really nice time, but I would skip the boat/aircraft thing--I just don't get the (often male) fascination...

RoadBunner said...

Glad you had a great time in San Diego! That is such a pretty picture of you and your bike :)

Jacqi said...

Ugh, I could use SD weather right now! It's been over 100 for the last 3 days here in Texas! Good luck at the Kona Half. And my Y indoor pool is 25y and the outdoor 25m - I guess that's a nationwide Y thing!

Smithposts said...

The bicycle ornament would make an interesting yard sculpture! Based on your photos, bicycling and running in San Diego looks like a lot of fun!

Have a great trip to Kona and good luck on the 1/2 marathon!