Friday, June 26, 2009

Wish You Were Here

It is freaking GORGEOUS here in Kona!!!

Surf's up and a breezy 80-85 degrees. Not as cool as San Diego last week but nice compared to the wet sauna back in Orlando and I know many of you are dealing with some horrible hot weather too :-(

But, ideal beach weather is not ideal for running PRs so my current half mary PR (1:37:07) is safe. On Sunday, I will only be shooting to run a sub-1:45 at the Kona Half Marathon, which is about as fast as I ran it in 2002, actually. But back then, that was an all-out race effort for me and I hurt for days afterwards. This time, being a C priority race, my goals are to have fun and to finish with minimal post-race soreness. (Coach had planned all of June to be a fairly easy month for me following the RnR Half Iron. My iron training resumes in full force July, which is next week - Gulp!)

Here's a few photos from our trip so far. Wish you could all be here too!


Off to do a 3-4 mile easy run. Totally screwed up: 4.1 miles @ 7:45 pace. Oops!


Taking photos of two people riding bikes is harder than you might think.


As usual, a headwind coming back into town but some nice ocean views.


Dave down in aero cursing the wind.


What happens when you curse.


A turtle (made of coral pieces) on the lava rocks along the Queen K highway.


Taking a business call. Grrr ...


One day that Blackberry is going surfing ;-)

Aloha for now and hope you all have a great weekend!

24 comments:

Stef said...

Great pics!

Petraruns said...

That looks so gorgeous ShirleyPerly. You can tell that you're just loving it! Enjoy the half..

And I know what you mean about the BlackBerry..

Shannon said...

Awesome photos. I really appreciate the time and "cirque du soleil" moves it took to get that shot of you and Dave on the bike.

Oz Runner said...

nice pics, looks like you're having some gorgeous weather...I sooo want to visit Hawaii some day....have a great race Sunday!!

lindsay said...

hey you could've invited me. i would've come!

and what? letting work interrupt a workout?!? i don't think so! :)

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

love the photos.

DaveP said...

Ah Kona... Home of the four "H"s:M Heat, Humidity, Hills, and Head winds!

peter said...

Looks like you're having a great time in Hawaii. Good luck tomorrow!

skoshi said...

That's some good looking surf.

Mark and I will be on O'ahu in August for R&R (that means training, of course), and he's doing the Jamba Xterra at Kualoa ranch.

Have a great run and set that PR!

Missy said...

Dave looks like he's growing flag horns, hahaha! Looks fabulous. Enjoy your time.

Susan said...

Oh Shirley I am GREEN!!!!!
Enjoy your fabulous locale. Post more photos!

X-Country2 said...

You look so happy and tropical in your flower top! Good luck!

Kevin said...

Great photos, hope the race went well

BreeWee said...

SO great to see you both, smoking race Shirley...
See you around town!
Bree

jen said...

Beautiful pictures!!

I hope you had a great race today. :)

Runner Leana said...

I had one of those mileage screw ups too yesterday! Oops! Love the pic of you and Dave together on your bikes.

RBR said...

You are absolutely right, I wish I was there!

Love the pictures and you look FAB!

Vickie said...

Love the surf! Enjoy your time there.

Regina said...

Looks like such fun! 7:45 pace? I am so far beyond humbled. Hope you had a good time!

aron said...

ahhhh hawaii!!! <3 <3 <3

chris and i have been talking about hawaii all week... we are dying to go back :)

hope the race went well yesterday!!!

Rainmaker said...

Your training options are just so awesome.

I do have a rule though on cell phones on my bike - no work e-mails or answering. It's only there for emergencies. I just treat it like an office phone in that respect. So far it's worked, though it hasn't kept people from trying to call...

Formulaic said...

More ammo for my Kona fantasy!

Great pics and another great post

Smithposts said...

Now that's what summer looks like in my mind...tropical tops, sand, ocean, bright colors, active. Thanks for the short, but pleasant, daydream!

PLANET3RRY said...

If you were smiling that big back on the Continental, you would have gnats in those Shirley Pearly Whites!