Friday, May 02, 2008

Revenge at the Gulf

GRRRRR! By now most of you have probably heard about the recent shark attack in the San Diego area. And as some of you may recall, there were also a couple attacks back in 2005 in the Panama City Beach, FL, area too, where I'm headed next weekend for the Gulf Coast Tri (GCT), a half iron distance tri (1.2 mi swim, 56 mi bike, 13.1 mi run).

But sharks, beware: Stay Out Of My Way. Because I'm out for REVENGE. Revenge on a swim course that marked my first-ever DNF. GRRRRR!

That was back in Nov 2006 when I'd been seriously swimming for only a year. I'd never used a pull buoy before and had no idea how to use the added buoyancy of a wetsuit to my advantage. I'd also never swam in 4-5 foot swells or heavy chop. I know I was lucky to have made it back to shore safely being the novice swimmer I was, but 6 minutes faster and I would have been able to go on. 6 lousy minutes!!

Now a year and half later I'm ready to face that damn Gulf again. The swim course is basically the same as IMFL's but just one lap instead of two. I'll bring the ginger pills, motion sickness medicine and earplugs again in case it's as rough as it was before. One thing I did do right last time was take precautions against getting seasick, which I'm very prone to. I'd heard many folks got seasick out there but fortunately not me!

So, what are my goals for GCT?

Well, of course, make the swim cut-off but since I actually have 2 hours to do so because of my early wave start, let's just say finish it in less than an hour. In addition, I want to finish the race in around 6 hours. I'll be very happy to finish sub-6 but know my training has not been very consistent since my bike crash back in February. I haven't swam as much as I wanted. I've done only one ride over 50 miles and only one real bike-run workout this year. What a slacker!

But, I have recovered well from my injuries, both physical and mental, and I have a lot of running endurance from my two recent marathons. So a sub-1 hr swim, sub-3 hr bike and a 2-hour-ish half marathon should do the trick. We'll see ...

I look forward to meeting up with TriCajun, who's also doing GCT. Anyone else going to be there?

Oh, I also just saw that Team Evotri has announced the third contest in the June issue of Inside Triathlon. The article can be found here. Hope many of you will consider applying too. Looks like just a straight essay thing, no public voting!

24 comments:

Kevin said...

Good luck at GC. I am sure you will do well in it. I am thinking bout entering the evotri contest this time. I hadnt tried in either of the first two this year.

Jade Lady said...

Yes, I did hear about that shark attack - let's hope they're not in the gulf. So, this is the big swim, huh? Good luck next week! I'll be thinking about u!

MarathonChris said...

You ran a good marathon a few weeks ago - I think you are good to go!!

You are SO ready this time! Looking forward to hearing how you do!

Road Warrior said...

Nice. I wouldn't want to be a shark in your way. Go Shirley!

Sarah said...

Luck? You don't need it. You are going to rock this race!! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Wendy said...

You go Shirley!!!

lizzie lee said...

I am proud of you. I still don't know how you can do that.....

lizzie

TJ said...

I was there in 06 and it WAS a bit rough out there. No worries though.
You've got the swim. The thing to watch out for is the heat on the run. It can get pretty toasty down there with the humidity.
Good Luck Shirley!

Calyx Meredith said...

You sound completely fired up and ready for this race. Best, best, best of luck Shirley!

Smithposts said...

No problem with the sharks! You sound fired up enough to out swim them :-)

Have a great race!

Jim said...

All the sharks in the Gulf heard you were coming so they went to San Diego. We will wish you calm seas and a gentle breeze at you back. You will do fine. Go get 'em!

PLANET3RRY said...

Revenge will be sweet for you!

Now, if you do see a shark, would holding on the fin disqualify you?

The Sea Sick Triathlete... who would of thought. Have you ever used those "Sea Band" things that put pressure points on the wrists. Works wonders for my wife on cruises. Bonine is a non-drowsy anti-nausea pill... but ginger would be nice. You could get some candied ginger for an extra energy.

godspeed SP

Duane said...

Good luck!

Susan said...

Good luck Shirley!! I am SURE you'll meet all goals. Can't wait to hear all about it!

akshaye said...

I heard about the shark attack too. It was terrible.

Go get that course.. I am sure you'll do great!

Maddy said...

At least it's not in Volusia County! The sharks will stay away and you're totally ready!

Can't wait to hear the details!

Iron Eric said...

Have fun at GCT. You go get em. Can't wait to hear the race report.

Ryan said...

Hi Shirley, My name is Ryan.

I have been reading your page for a while now, time to say HI! Oh, from a link on the Bigun's page.

I'll be at GCH racing with you.

Are there any official blogger get together on Fri?

Let me know and I'll keep an eye out for you at the race meeting.

Cliff said...

love that damn gulf.

I think you will finish the swim less than 1 hr. I would say around 50 min. =D

All my tri race, the swim i have one goal. Get back on to shore and stay alive :D.

Rural Girl said...

Go Shirley. This is your time to finish what you started. You've got it together!

CewTwo said...

Such emotion in a blog. I can tell that you are very passionate about the sports you love to do!

I have seen the ocean but never really though about going into it. Why? (But then again that is me being me!)

My suggestion? Swim nearer to others who may look more tender and delicious than you do!

Hang in there, Shirley!

peter said...

Good luck this weekend! You have a solid plan and a lot of training behind you, no worries. You'll do great.

IrishBlue said...

Shirley, good luck and go get em girl!!! Can't wait to hear about the swim.

RBR said...

You go girl! Kick the Gulf's ass and make it call you ma'am!

Here's to you having an awesome race next weekend!