Sunday, May 18, 2008

Kids House Fundraiser

Last night MarathonChris and I swapped out our running shoes for dress shoes to attend a fundraiser for Kids House of Seminole, a local charity that provides services to help abused children. It was a triathlon of sorts: a formal dinner, an auction and then a concert. During the transitions, there was socializing.

I wore a dress, which I rarely do, and had the opportunity to experience a few new things:

1. Eat beets (what the heck, they were on the plate)
2. Find out how a silent auction worked
3. Hear people bid nearly $10K for a weekend getaway to the Bahamas (note to self: do NOT lift arm to itch head or give toasts during live auctions!)
4. See folks wearing tuxes, suits and nice dresses along with sneakers, ball caps, ballgame jerseys, and other things usually seen at sports games.

Yes, the invitation had said "creative black tie" and folks were encouraged to show team spirit, but Dave and I had no idea what that meant.

Team Spirit? You mean company team? We were to be sitting at a table bought by his company, after all.

So we went traditional, just to be safe. And thanks to a friend, I didn't have to go out and buy another dress that I'd only wear once, maybe twice. She knows I don't like shopping and kindly offered to loan it to me. Thanks Kelly!

Funny thing, though, it's actually a black dress with a red liner. But since the black fabric is really sheer, the camera flash made the black nearly disappear. Good thing the dress was fully lined!

After dinner and the auction, we were entertained by Three Dog Night. Whoa, what a blast from the past ...

We decided to finish strong and took to the dance floor. I wasn't a big fan of the band when I was younger but recognized many of their songs. They were the ones who sang this?

The band came back for one encore song, Joy to the World, and then the pain set in. Four and a half hours in high heels had not bothered the cut on my heel much but the balls of my feet now felt the size of melons. I walked back to our car as slow as after running a marathon. No medal earned but the event looked to have been a huge success.

Hooray for the kids!!

21 comments:

MarathonChris said...

Good recap of the night! I had a blister on the ball of my left foot which I had to cover up for my 10 miler today. Thank goodness for big bandaids.

It was a great time!! And for an incredible cause!

Susan said...

WOW! Two GORGEOUS ladies! And a handsome man to boot! :)

Calyx Meredith said...

What gorgeous pics! A race report of a different stripe - fun.

Cliff said...

For team spirit, I would expect u and ur hubby be decking out in bike gears or something :)

ShirleyPerly said...

Yeah, once we got there and saw what people were wearing, my husband wished he was wearing his bright orange bike jersey instead of his white collared shirt. I could have worn a race number/belt around my dress and bike gloves.

The only guy at our table who was really creative was this 70-year-old guy who wore a white tux with shorts. The rest of us young'uns were fuddy duddies!

Stef said...

That dress looks great on you!

I totally hear you about the heels. I have almost NO tolerance for heels anymore -- just too painful.

Smithposts said...

Oh, dancing and high heels, impressive! Great pictures, the dress is lovely.

CewTwo said...

What a fun post! I enjoyed it a lot. I never would have thought the dress was black!

Thanks for sharing!

teacherwoman said...

Thanks for the kind words on my half marathon post!

The weather this year was the best it has ever been for the Fargo Marathon!

I am assuming you will be doing the full? 5.23.09 .... they are already starting to plan for next year. I am sure the numbers will be well above 15,000 next year. If you're lucky, you might even get a bit of the ND wind! But the race atmosphere was everything you would want ... and more!

Rural Girl said...

Shirley, you look mahvelous! Sounds like a fun time!

Fe-lady said...

You look fabulous! Some of my special ed kids have been removed from homes because of abuse and are now in group-home situations. Thanks for supporting these kids.
It's sad and I hope the abusers die in jail.

akshaye said...

Nice.. sounds like a fun evening - and a good cause! You look spectacular in the dress.

PLANET3RRY said...

Did you get a PR?

ShirleyPerly said...

Not a lifetime PR since I used to wear heels fairly often in my 30's but a masters (40+) PR, I think. I'll not be anxious to try to try to break it ;-)

Petraruns said...

Fabulous! You both look amazing - it's so weird to see you both in civvies! But lovely as well - you are very beautiful - and Dave dresses up nicely too..

And all that for a wonderful cause. WEll done!

peter said...

Jeremiah was a Bullfrog. Yeah, tripping on the seventies! The crowd in the 3-Dog Night video looked pretty dead though, like they were wondering when the silent auction was going to start (I know, it was an old video). Did they wear bellbottoms though?

Iron Eric said...

You look great in a dress! Way cool.

Tammy said...

Wow that it looked like you and marathonchris had a great time and you both looked great. Way to go...

RBR said...

You look GORGEOUS! In a borrowed dress, no less. Stunning, just stunning.

Maybe after 45 marathons I can look that good too. :o)

Jade Lady said...

First of all, you both look so beautiful in your formals, even for fuddy duddies!

3 Dog Night - they were hip back in the day. Lots of oldies but goodies.

It's nice to get dressed up every once in awhile - I'm hoping one day, someone will invent high heel shoes that can collapse into shoes you can dance in!

I don't know how I missed this post earlier - I had read more of your recent posts - sometimes things get lost when doing the jadelady shuffle!

Jade Lady said...

First of all, you both look so beautiful in your formals, even for fuddy duddies!

3 Dog Night - they were hip back in the day. Lots of oldies but goodies.

It's nice to get dressed up every once in awhile - I'm hoping one day, someone will invent high heel shoes that can collapse into shoes you can dance in!

I don't know how I missed this post earlier - I had read more of your recent posts - sometimes things get lost when doing the jadelady shuffle!